Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #1

finger lakes campground

Would like to make a trip from Va to the finger lakes area next month. Looking to stay several weeks. Would like to have some recommendations on route and a good campground with full hookup. I don't really know anything about the area , but it all looks really nice. Looking for a good getaway to recharge our batteries and take in some sights. Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Grape Escape

Watkins Glen KOA highly recommended. Not full hookups but Sampson State Park is nice
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

If you have a few weeks, you can see a lot. If you want full hookups and big rig friendly the Watkins Glenn KOA is the place. But its big $$ compared to the state parks. We think Watkins Glen SP is much better. There is one electric loop there.

Sampson State Park is also very nice. Both are on Seneca Lake which is our favorite place in the Finger Lakes. Also checkout Letchworth SP - the Grand canyon of the East.

In the Ithaca area there are several nice state parks near Cayuga Lake.

As for a route, not sure where in VA you are starting, but if you take I-81 through PA, a good option is to head across Route 79 to Ithaca and then west to Watkins Glenn. Then you could keep going to Letchworth and even Niagara Falls if you want to go that far west.

And with the amount of time you have, if you want to drive a few more hours - The Thousand Islands and Adirondack Mountains are also great camping spots. Countless great campgrounds. I could give you a bunch of spots to check out if you want.

We never get tired of visiting the Finger Lakes - at least in the summer!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

we like the Watkins Glen KOA also. you would have a long day from Newport news if you are going all in a single day. It is a good 5 hours driving time from Baltimore.

from the Baltimore beltway, we take I83 to Harrisburg, then route 15 to Corning and then over to 414 that takes you into Watkins glen. The KOA is on 414 just before you get to Watkins glen. Route 15 is a scenic road as it follows the Susquehanna River and goes through some towns, but it is faster than taking 81 to Binghamton if you are going to Watkins. If going to Ithaca, 81 would be faster. (thought it seems 81 is always under construction somewhere).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:47 AM   #5

We stayed outside the finger lakes in Tioga, PA at the ACOE campground, Tompkin. From there we explored both NY and PA. The only bad thing is that at the actual campground there was almost no cell coverage (Verizon wireless). We had full signal about 2 miles away tho.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2014 Nights Camped: 15
ld_engnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #6

Thanks a ton, lots of good places to investigate. Keep the suggestions coming in. Also trying to keep the route as flat as possible, my f250 gasser with 150,000 miles is getting tired and does not do well in the mountains towing the Windjammer...( Hmmm) Sounds like it may be time for a newer TV. Thanks again.. Chuck in Va
Old 06-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #7

Flat route, lol. You are going through the hills (Mountains are out west ;-)). The I81 route is mostly interstate and the grades are longer but still has elevation changes.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #8

X2 on the KOA. we strayed their when we went to the Finger Lakes. I would recommend one of the nicer patio sites they have, very cool.

While their, if your truck is up to the task, for $25 you can do three laps around the Watkins Glenn Race track. My two boys had great time. I also hope you are a wine person. Great wine country and don't forget to go to the Corning Glass Factory....

Safe trip.....
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

One of our favorites it Hickory Hill in Bath NY. It's near the southern tip of Keuka Lake and Hammondsport. Lots of winerys near. The Glenn Curtiss Museum is in Hammondsport. It's about 20 minutes from Corning and Elmira. If you like flying look at Harris Hill. There is a little 1 runway airport at the top of the hill that they fly sailplanes from. They have the Soaring Museum there too. Then there is the Wings of Eagles Military aircraft museum. It's surprising how much there is in that little corner of the world.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #10

Thanks, Watkins Glenn web site looks awesome, looks like they are not set awning to awning. Looking at the map can't really tell , are they right on the finger lakes themselves ? or are they a distance away. It would be a hike from Newport News Va about 9 hours, not bad if you are not towing anything. Still pretty new to this, not that far but about 6-7 hrs towing is a plenty for me. Although it seems like a waste to make it a 2 day trip just to get there, google map did have another route beside I81 with the driving time about the same, I don't recall the route number but it looked like it might be less traffic, but going through small towns. Another concern is RV friendly gas stations. I am sure 81 has more of them..Anyway I am still looking at locations in that area, but right now Watkins Glenn is at the top of my list.

Chuck in Va
Old 06-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Would like to make a trip from Va to the finger lakes area next month. Looking to stay several weeks. Would like to have some recommendations on route and a good campground with full hookup. I don't really know anything about the area , but it all looks really nice. Looking for a good getaway to recharge our batteries and take in some sights. Chuck in Va
You know there is a FROG rally 11 to 15 July at the Watkins Glenn State Park. We have also stayed at the KOA and loved it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FINGER LAKES FROG RALLY.pdf (397.5 KB, 43 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #12

I am so jealous, would love to visit that part of the country.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Thanks, Watkins Glenn web site looks awesome, looks like they are not set awning to awning. Looking at the map can't really tell , are they right on the finger lakes themselves ? or are they a distance away. It would be a hike from Newport News Va about 9 hours, not bad if you are not towing anything. Still pretty new to this, not that far but about 6-7 hrs towing is a plenty for me. Although it seems like a waste to make it a 2 day trip just to get there, google map did have another route beside I81 with the driving time about the same, I don't recall the route number but it looked like it might be less traffic, but going through small towns. Another concern is RV friendly gas stations. I am sure 81 has more of them..Anyway I am still looking at locations in that area, but right now Watkins Glenn is at the top of my list.

Chuck in Va
What about stopping for a night or two in Gettysburg? From G-burg to Watkins Glenn is only about 4-5 hours taking Rt15.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well. C-co, 8/158th, AVN.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #14

Us at the Watkins Glenn KOA last year...

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #15

Charles,
I lived in that area of NY state most of my life. My family also had a place on Keuka Lake when I was in my teens and, in my opinion, the Finger Lakes region of NY state is a beautiful, picturesque region. Here's a link to what I posted last year relating to campgrounds in the Watkins Glen area (#11 post):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-36191-2.html

If, by chance, you're going to be in the Watkins Glen area for the July 4th weekend and if you like auto racing I suggest you check out the SCCA Nationals at Watkins Glen International. They're the best and most entertaining races of the year (I've been attending races there since 1962 and yes, the Nationals are better than NASCAR) and very reasonable money wise. It's also an event with not many campers and makes for a nice, low keyed, relaxing weekend.

Most all camping there consist of boondocking...no electricity or water, although there there are many water spigots available throughout the campgrounds along with clean bathrooms and showers at no cost and three dump stations.

Weekend advance admission is $25.00 per person and $30.00 at the gate. Camping: advance pricing available $50.00 until June 15, 2014. After June 15, tickets can be purchased upon arrival at Gate 2 for $60.00. The price for camping is good for three nights, from Friday 7:00 am, July 4th, till around 10:00 am Monday, July 7. Not a bad deal not to mention good racing all weekend long. Also, the paddock and garage is open to all. The only places you can't go is in the pits and across the spectator fences to the track itself. And the grandstands are free.

Before you ask, no, I don't work for Watkins Glen International, but the SCCA Nationals weekend is a nice, reasonably priced weekend to camp and it's a real good time. Been there, done that for the past 40 some years and it's still fun.
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #16

Watkins Glen area is now on the list for the coming year. Looks just wonderful! Thanks to all for the good info.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg