Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #21

I stayed in the area last summer in a hotel so I can’t help with camping, but.....we visited a lot of the wineries and were very impressed. I’m from Niagara area in Canada where we have tons of wineries, but the ones there are very impressive and I found them more country and cozy. We also hiked at Watkins Glen and it was absolutely beautiful and I would go again. I’m into photography and the glen is heaven to photograph. |
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #22
dmr

The one state park not mentioned is Letchworth State Park also known as the Grand Canyon of the East gorgeous
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #23

I lived in the FL region for 30 yrs so im quite familiar with it. As mentioned by others, there are NYS parks on Kueka, Seneca and Cayuga lakes. The parks on Seneca and Cayuga also offer marine moorage if you have a boat you'd like to float. The state parks on the 3 lakes all have water front.
Kueka and Seneca have the greatest density of wineries (like more than 50) but you'll also find an ever growing list of breweries, meaderies, distilleries, plus even a Cheese trail.
The comment someone made about Rollins pond and Fish Creek is indeed fantastic, just no where near the FL. Those parks are in the high peaks region of the Adirondacks like 130 miles NE. Watkins Glen is also a NYS park, just not on the water. It's definitely worth visiting if you are into geology and want to see a million yrs of water erosion. Letchworth as mentioned is a bit west of the FL but easily enjoyed including round trip driving in a day from any of the lakes. It was carved by the Genesee river which is one of the few in this hemisphere that flows south to north emptying into lake Ontario through the port of Rochester.
There are also a number of NYS parks on Lake Ontario.
This post is too long already so I'll stop here. If you want more info, just ask.
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #24

X2 for Letchworth State Park. Stoneybrook State Park has a very walkable gorge. Stayed at Sugar Creek Glen Campground, very nice.

2015 Tracer 3140RSD Touring
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1500
mmangiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #25

I grew up in the Finger Lake area and there are a lot of good suggestions. One of my favorite sites is Taughannock Falls State Park in Cayuga Lake. When I was in the area I was not a RV camper so I am not sure of the camping facilities. There is a nice easy hike up from the main highway to the actual falls. Very memorable. There is also a road to the north of the falls parking area that allows you to go to the overlook.

I would also suggest the Watkins Glenn area for the Glenn hike.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #26

This is the first time I posted on this forum (actually any forum), and I am so pleased at all the posts....thank you for the information! This helps immensely!
Wwparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #27

Hickory Hill in Bath, New York

We have stayed at Hickory Hill in Bath, NY for months at a time. The resort is family friendly and is within minutes and sometimes a few hours to ALL the Fingerlakes attractions. If you feel that you don't wish to prepare a meal in your RV there is the Chat-A-Whyle restaurant on Liberty St, and Stephanie's Cafe around the corner. The Glen Curtiss Air museum is very near in Hammondsport, along with many winery tours, the Fingerlakes wooden boat museum and the Corning Glass Works which has amazing hands-on tours. Too many attractions to name here. Have fun camping in the Fingerlakes no matter where it may be!
manganomichael70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #28

Look at Cheerful Valley Campground, 1412 SR 14, Phelps, NY 14532 for full hookup site. The outlet for Canandaigua Lake runs through it... which means fresh trout (rainbow) for those so inclined. SR14 runs about 6 miles into Geneva, NY which is a great small city located right on the northern tip of Seneca Lake. Cayuga lake is well within range and so is Canandaigua lake and Keuka lake. All are part of the wine trail. Skaneateles lake is about an hour drive, Auburn (Owasco lake) is about 40 minutes. This campground is located close to the NYS Thruway (I-90) and NY Rt. 5 / 20 but not within ear range like Junius Ponds Campground is. We stayed on the loop that was close to the Canandaigua outlet. Huge, huge sites backed up onto a football field sized mowed grass meadow. We had full hook up with the exception that there is no internet service and limited cable tv.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
CCRVOC

If you are a member of Passport America, you may want to check out Sned-Acres Campground near Ovid, NY (between Cayuga and Seneca lakes). Not a great campground - I would rate it a 8 but it does have full hook ups.

Lots of wineries nearby. Also, be sure to visit the Corning Glass Museum.
miles on CC - 2011 = 6035; 2012 = 14779; 2013 = 9066; 2014 = 5263; 2015 = 11179; 2016 = 5869; 2017 = 7290
rockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita View Post
If you're a small unit, it will work. I will say anything over 30 feet, forget it!

I was able to get my 37 footer in, took some time as my site was right at the bottom of a small incline and on a turn. Realized after getting in, that it would have been a lot easier to come in the wrong way down the 1 way road.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #31

Keuka Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyps View Post
We have been champing for 15+ years at Kukua Lake State Campgrounds. We camp 4th of July week (7-10 days) with about 15 campsites with friends. We love it here, great facilities, good hiking, beautiful water, huge playground for kids down by the lake and a nice beach to swim in.

They do not have a camp store, but you have Branchport (hardware and a few small shops) and Pen Yan (everything from beer store, local grocery stores and butchers, and a dunkin donuts) that are very close. I highly recommend this campground.

We always book at the top loop, big sites, most have enclosing trees and will give you a very private camping experience.

Great park and area. Grew up on 150 acres of the State Park (state took the property/land for the park back in 1962). We lived up on Bluff Point... also lived a short time in Branchport. Went to school in Penn Yan... the big city. Very fond memories of the area.
MikeT5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #32

We live 40 minutes from Watkins Glen just over the PA border. We take day trips there often. I suggest Watkins Glen to use as a base for your camping. Since it sits at the bottom of Seneca Lake, you can go up one side of the lake and visit wineries one day, then do the other side the next. It's also just a short drive west over the hill to Keuka Lake and the quaint town of Hammondsport, and even more wineries. The Gorge is great to walk, and can be accessed from the top as well as the bottom. You can head east from Watkins Glen and check out Cayuga Lake and the town of Ithaca and the gardens at Cornell University, as well. August & late summer bring out all the produce stands and fruit from the orchards that line Seneca Lake beside the vineyards.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #33

I live near Ithaca. Just a mile above Taughannoc Falls is Spruce Row campground. They have a large pool, store and other amenities. Not the most modern but very nice people. Easy to access. Also there is one in Montour Falls at the marina. They are just below Watkins Glenn. Haven’t been there but sounds nice.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellinLibrarian View Post
We live 40 minutes from Watkins Glen just over the PA border. We take day trips there often. I suggest Watkins Glen to use as a base for your camping. Since it sits at the bottom of Seneca Lake, you can go up one side of the lake and visit wineries one day, then do the other side the next. It's also just a short drive west over the hill to Keuka Lake and the quaint town of Hammondsport, and even more wineries. The Gorge is great to walk, and can be accessed from the top as well as the bottom. You can head east from Watkins Glen and check out Cayuga Lake and the town of Ithaca and the gardens at Cornell University, as well. August & late summer bring out all the produce stands and fruit from the orchards that line Seneca Lake beside the vineyards.
Great point about the gorge access from the top. Many do not realize you can take a shuttle to the top and walk down. The elevation change is 500 ft from top to bottom. We took the shuttle to the top. Was a hot humid day and was much more enjoyable. Not to mention the stair case on the upper side is much easier coming down, 180 steps at Jacobs Ladder.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #35

I can't really help you out with campgrounds.....we stayed at one Bass Lake about an hour or so south... but DO try to visit Boldt Castle while you're in the area. Beautiful to see and a beautiful background story...
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #36

I'm a little late to this thread - haven't been through the forum lately.

I posted this two years ago replying to someone also looking for Finger Lakes (NY) campground info (I think most of the links still work):

Here's some links to some campgrounds in the Finger Lakes area of NY state. I've only camped at two: Ferenbaugh Campsites and Watkins Glen KOA. That was years ago so I can't personally give an up-to-date opinion of them, but during my stay I had no complaints. Anymore I do my camping during race weekends at the track, Watkins Glen International.

Ferenbaugh Campsites -just outside Corning, NY - about 15 minutes from Watkins Glen.NY

Watkins Glen KOA Campground - a few miles south of Watkins Glen, NY and just down the hill from the track, Watkins Glen International

Clute Park Campground - in Watkins Glen, NY

Watkins Glen State Park - just outside Watkins Glen, NY above the waterfalls and gorge.

Keuka Lake State Park - near Branchport, NY on beautiful Keuka Lake

Cayuga Lake State Park - near Seneca Falls, NY on Cayuga Lake

Sampson State Park - north of Watkins Glen, NY - south of Geneva, NY - has 2,000 acres, including over 5½ miles of Seneca Lake lakefront!

Long Point State Park - north of Ithaca, NY - south of Seneca Falls - on Cayuga Lake

Taughannock Falls State Park - near Ithaca, NY - on Cayuga Lake

Buttermilk Falls State Park - just south of Ithaca, NY

Camp Elmbois Family Camping - outside of Hammondsport, NY - small campground - never camp there, but heard good things about it - on hill above Keuka Lake.

Here's a link to info and reviews of many state and private campgrounds in the Southern Tier, Central and Finger Lakes areas of NY state: Finger Lakes Campgrounds

I'm sure I left out some campgrounds, but you'll find plenty of choices in the area.

Enjoy the beauty of the Finger Lakes area and your time there.
...and 4 Old Wooden Boats (Penn Yans)
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #37

If you like aviation history, and or old motorcycles visit the Glen Curtiss museum in Hammondsport. Corning museum of glass is probably a must see too. Grew up there, so I take it for granted.
aldermanjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #38

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Hickory Hill Family Campground, one of my favorite places.

Do not go to this location! It changed hands over this last winter and is now a KOA. I definitely agree that it was a great place, last year, but the new owners and manager have horrible customer service skills! We just cancelled as a result of this for this Memorial Day weekend. No way was I going to give them a penny of our money!
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganomichael70 View Post
We have stayed at Hickory Hill in Bath, NY for months at a time. The resort is family friendly and is within minutes and sometimes a few hours to ALL the Fingerlakes attractions. If you feel that you don't wish to prepare a meal in your RV there is the Chat-A-Whyle restaurant on Liberty St, and Stephanie's Cafe around the corner. The Glen Curtiss Air museum is very near in Hammondsport, along with many winery tours, the Fingerlakes wooden boat museum and the Corning Glass Works which has amazing hands-on tours. Too many attractions to name here. Have fun camping in the Fingerlakes no matter where it may be!

Avoid this campground! It changed hands over the winter and is now a KOA. New owners and manager have incredibly horrible customer service skills. I always enjoyed it there, but no more! To the extent that we just cancelled our Memorial Day trip.
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen29 View Post
Avoid this campground! It changed hands over the winter and is now a KOA. New owners and manager have incredibly horrible customer service skills. I always enjoyed it there, but no more! To the extent that we just cancelled our Memorial Day trip.
These are the same people who own the Watkins Glen KOA. We only have stayed there once, for a week, however spoke to many staff and one manager and all seemed very nice and accommodating. I'm wondering what the specifics of your issue were? Why could you and the new management not come to a resolution?
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote