Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
These are the same people who own the Watkins Glen KOA. We only have stayed there once, for a week, however spoke to many staff and one manager and all seemed very nice and accommodating. I'm wondering what the specifics of your issue were? Why could you and the new management not come to a resolution?

Ok....so here it goes. Upon checking into this campground for Memorial Day weekend 2018, we we told that this year if we wanted to book for next year, 2019, we would have to pay for the entire stay in full right then and there. Little odd, had always been just a deposit, but we paid...$375 for 4 nights.

Jump forward to last week, early May 2019...I call just to confirm dates and see if there is a balance due, which I always do no matter where we are camping. Keep in mind we camp 80-100 nights a year, sometimes its hard to keep track of! They confirmed our dates and said no balance due.

Couple days later, I find out my daughter has school on Friday so I call to cancel the Thursday before so she doesn't miss two days of school. They said they would credit my card at check in, $30, which seemed quite less than a nights rate, but I said ok and would figure it out then. Now, couple days after that, the school board votes to give the kids Friday off, because they didn't use their snow days, so I called back to get our Thursday back, which was still available.

Great right? Not so fast....here is where the issue starts. Keep in mind no money changed hands up to this point.

When I asked for the Thursday back, it was still available, I was told that I had a balance due of about $100. I said how is that possible? They said that the campground was sold as of March 1st, 2019 and was now a KOA. As a result, the rates for Memorial weekend had gone up, compared to what we had paid in full for the 2019 weekend. I asked when were you going to tell us, as you didn't tell me last week when I had called, and they said when you checked in.

That in my book is so wrong. Also, the manager spoke of a letter they mailed out to everyone, which we did not get, and that she did not know what the letter said. Come to find out, there was never a letter sent out, their admission.

I could go on with more as to the way they spoke to us over the phone, hanging up on us, etc. but I think you get the point. Needless to say, they could have cared less if we camped there or not. So, reservation cancelled!!
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #42
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm not siding with anyone but I can see where cancelling a night at 2018 rates and then rebooking at 2019 rates (even though it was just a short time in between) could result in a higher rate. Especially since it changed hands.

And for the record, we've stayed at both campgrounds (now owned by the folks at Watkins Glen KOA) and we received via mail several weeks ago, communication the two campgrounds are now owned by the same folks.

I suspect something got overlooked or misunderstood. The folks at Watkins Glen have treated us like family.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm not siding with anyone but I can see where cancelling a night at 2018 rates and then rebooking at 2019 rates (even though it was just a short time in between) could result in a higher rate. Especially since it changed hands.

And for the record, we've stayed at both campgrounds (now owned by the folks at Watkins Glen KOA) and we received via mail several weeks ago, communication the two campgrounds are now owned by the same folks.

I suspect something got overlooked or misunderstood. The folks at Watkins Glen have treated us like family.

Thanks and good to know!
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #44

That's how I knew both were now owned by the Watkins KOA people, we received a letter as well.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #45

oh well. Looks like they are now out of my price range.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Sampson SP in Romulus NY. North Eastvside of Seneca Lake. Former naval base with an on-site museum. Close to wineries and the Waterloo Outlet Stores.
I second this suggestion.

We just spent a few nights there weekend before last. Beautiful scenery everywhere you look. Nice big sites, clean bathrooms/showers, every spot was filled but didn't seem crowded at all. The new marina makes me want to buy a boat just so I can dock it there. There is so much to see and do in the area, we'll surely be back again soon.
mdarmody is offline   Reply With Quote