Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

First 2 week trip booked! + suggestions needed

Thanks to this forum I've booked some great campgrounds, I think! Going from Mobile Alabama to Disney - Fort Wilderness for 3 nights. Then to visit friends in Tampa for a night or two. Heading to Key West and we are booked at BlueWater Key for 4 nights. Then heading up the east coast of FL to around the Melbourne area, to visit my fathers grave, and where I grew up. Then back to Mobile. Any suggestions on 1) place to camp overnight halfway between Tampa and Key West? And 2) a good campground in the Melbourne or beaches area near Cocoa Beach? Thanks
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Always Learning

No clue, but oh so jealous! Sounds wonderful.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
H2oski

Wife and I done key west to tampa a couple of years a go. We done it in 1 day and if I remember it was a pretty easy day. Nothing special. Enjoy key west, we sure did. Have a great trip.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Near Melbourne, try Long Point (pretty basic campsites) near Sebastian, Wickham Park now has RV park with full hook ups I believe, Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral, Sebastian Inlet (neat place), if you can get on base, Patrick AFB FamCamp, in Rockledge there is a nice campground near I95 I think the name is SunCoast?? Hope this helps.
Enjoy your trip.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Thanks! Funny, 40 years ago I kept my horse at Wickham Park. Haven't thought of that for years and years. I'll look up some of your suggestions. Also, think we might try the Tampa to KW in one day. Blue water Key requires you check in before dark, though.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

After reading multiple reviews of Bluewater Key, we decided to forgo Disney and use the time in the Keys. So now we are going to be there for 7 nights. Then will go back up the east coast of florida. Still havent booked a spot in the Melbourne area, but I'm thinking It won't be that hard to find a place there. Also booked a couple of nights at Destin West in March. We need to do a dry run prior to KW with our dogs. Im sure they will be fine, but one has a need to bark, and i want to nip that in the bud as they say!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #7

DebbieMH, About not booking in Melbourne, we took a drive around the area couple days ago, including Patrick AFB FamCamp, and most of the parks were booked. I suggest you at least call around to see who has availability. We are a great location/destination for snowbirds and this year they came in flocks!
Andi
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

Thanks Kidsgone. We are going mid May. I'm hoping most SB are back up north by then. But I will make sure we have a reservation somewhere for the night. Do you know anything about Sonrise Village? Looks like it is right off the main road we will use to get back home to Alabama. Going the west coast of Fl down to see some friends in Tampa, then after KW, we wanted to go up the east coast to the Satellite Beach area to see where I grew up. Visit my dads grave near Melbourne. Or is there any place you recommend?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #9

Don't know anything about Sonrise Village other than RV parkreviews had great reviews on it. If you could get into Jetty Park (they have enlarged their campgrounds) it would be worth it. We are local (Indian Harbour Beach....kids grad. SBHS) and have tried to get into Jetty Pk, but no luck so far...even locals camp there! If I get to the Cocoa area in the next few weeks, I'll stop to take a look at Sonrise...always nice to have a recommendation for visitors! Sounds like you have quite a trip planned...have fun!!
Andi
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
We are local (Indian Harbour Beach....kids grad. SBHS) and have tried to get into Jetty Pk, but no luck so far...even locals camp there! If I get to the Cocoa area in the next few weeks, I'll stop to take a look at Sonrise...always nice to have a recommendation for visitors! Sounds like you have quite a trip planned...have fun!!
Andi
Small world.... I graduated from Satellite High in '73. We moved to SB in 1959 and I left after college. My dad passed in '77 and then my mom got remarried and moved to Georgia. Have only been back once since 1979 and that was in the mid 80's. I'm sure it has changed in all those years!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #11

Satellite Beach changed??? Not much...SBHS has new buildings, a few new stores/restaurants, but basically the same. I graduated Boone Hi in Orlando in '73! How time flies...
Andi
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #12

How about Sebastian Inlet State Park? That is on the coast about. 30 - 40 minutes south of Satellite Beach as you likely remember. When you go to the Keys I highly recommend renting a boat especially if you have never been there before. And if you have not been to the Keys you need to know the beaches are few and far in between. Key West is nice but crowded. I am a middle and upper Keys guy myself as they are a bit more laid back per se. Enjoy your trip.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #13

Thanks Smokeyroo. I'll check out Sabastion Inlet. I have only been to KW once, and that was just for a day on a cruise. We would like to go to the beach at least one day. Where would you suggest?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #14

Key West has a beach or two but if you are driving I would say my favorite place in the lower Keys is Bahia Honda State Park. They have a nice beach there...very tropical and undeveloped. If you guys have any boating experience what so ever, then renting a boat and heading to Looe Key is the way to go. There are boat rental places on Big Pine Key which is the closest key to Looe Key which is actually a big coral reef complex. Snorkel head boats are nice but renting a boat and spending the day on the water is awesome. You got to try the deep fried Key Lime Pie at the BBQ place on the Gulf side of US 1 right before the 7 mile Bridge near Marathon.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote