Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #1

First cross country trip to NM.

Looking for info, planning a trip from Newport News Va to Albuquerque NM. Putting new tires on the Windjammer, had it serviced in December. Getting oil change for the f250 6.7. Camper and tow vehicle should be go to go. Trip will be made the first part of March, extended forecast looks OK, ( but we all know how accurate that is !!!) Planning on driving 8hrs a day with stops in Newport TN, Little Rock AR, Amarillo TX, then a short drive into NM. Plan on staying at KOA's along the way, just for the night in hopefully pull through's hooking up to power, sewer and water, staying hooked up. Taking I 40 all the way. any questions or concerns ??? advice is very helpful. I would prefer to take a more time on the trip however that is not possible. We will have a few days in NM before we head back. The only issue is diesel along the way, but I feel certain there should be either truck stops or rv friendly stations on the highway. Any issues on I 40 ???. As always any suggestions are helpful.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

Good route. As you pass through Amarillo, check the weather in NM.

Evidently NMDOT doesn't own snow plows or salt equipment, and between Santa Rosa and Clines Corner (its uphill) is always a problem area if there is any snow.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

From Little Rock to Amarillo in one day? That makes for a very long day!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #4

I may have to recheck the distance I figured 8hrs. Thanks I will check it again.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

Hello Charles Firth,
We travel from Southern California to Oklahoma at least twice a year on I 40 - gotta see the granddaughter....Fuel has never been a problem, there are plenty of truck stops as well as rest stops. And diesel prices are lower in NM, TX, and OK. I concur with waiter21, check the weather ahead each AM.
Travel Safe,
Bob
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
Shasta PhoeniX Lite 32' 5er.
Phoenixflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #6

That is a long haul between Little Rock and Amarillo. I would go to west of Oklahoma City and stop. Watch I 40 closely. A south-tracking low at this time of year can bury it in snow from Amarillo to Tijeras Pass east of Albuquerque. Fuel on I 40 is plentiful and nicely priced. There are several RV parks in Albuquerque that are nice. There is a KOA on the east side close to the mountains and couple on the West Mesa with nice views of the valley.

Take your time and plan on a southerly route if the weather turns nasty across I 40 in NM.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #7

Have done this route but in shorter chunks! When you get to Amarillo...suggest the Amarillo Ranch RV park off exit 74 where you get a free shuttle ride to the BigTexan restaurant and tourist trap....home of the FREE 72 oz steak!!
https://www.amarilloranch.com/
Also if you have a smart phone...you should install the apps for the big truck stops:
1. Pilot/FlyingJ (if you're a good sam member you get 3cents off and some stops have RV lanes.)
2. Love's
3. TA/Petro
These apps will find the closest sites to where you are and tell you what amenities are at each site and current prices.
I think Little Rock is gonna take more like 9.5>>>10 hours to Amarillo so if you need a shorter stop...consider Clinton OK and the awesome Rt. 66 museum just off 40 as well....with a good Italian restaurant across the street and then a short drive to the ElkCity/Clinton KOA just off 40 too.
I don't think there's anything to worry about on 40 other than weather. Drive safe!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #8

We ran from GA to CA, catching I40 in Memphis and staying on it till CA, last December and had no issues with finding diesel along the way. We did notice if you can read the price signs soon enough to get off at the exit, you can save up to 40 cents a gallon by catching one of the little stations versus hitting the big truck stop exits, (Flying J or Love's). Another thing I noticed was going that way my mile/gal dropped to under 10 mile/gal, I thought there might be something wrong but I think it is just the climbs and altitude, Once I got back to CA everything was fine.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #9

I really thank everyone for the response .I have never tried a trip like this before. My trips have been short , to Hatteras or the mountains. Usually a good.days drive but I am at my destination for a few days before moving on, so it looks like it can be done, at least on paper. I am not about pushing my limits and if need be I will just hav to slow.down. if I had my way I would rather take 4 to 5 days to do a more leisurely trip. But if everything goes well we can spend.a.few.days in NM. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #10

We live in central Arkansas and had a daughter in Albuquerque for a year. We made that trip on I-40 several times. There isn't much (OK, nothing) between the OK state line and Amarillo. When we took our 5th wheel, we stayed in a city park in Elk City, OK., about 35 miles east of the TX state line. Quiet, scenic, well maintained, free, 30 amp elect, water at a faucet to put some in your tanks, no sewer, 5 back in sites. Google "lake elk city ok rv". Takes you right to the city site. Second site listed is "rvparkreviews" and the third is "freecampsites.net". All you need to know is right there. Even photos of part of sites and view of the lake from the sites. You can see the sites at the west end of the park on Google earth. It's about 1.5 miles south of I-40.

Fourth selection on your google search is KOA, so there you go if you are stuck on KOA.
wetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #11

What hasn't been asked is, how will you deal with your fresh water system and holding tanks if the temperature goes below freezing?
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #12

Also, watch the winds in the panhandle of Texas and eastern NM. They come off the mountains and you get a very stiff headwind (west bound). Eats fuel like crazy and a lot of rocking and rolling.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #13

I will dump the black and grey tanks before departing the campground. I will only have a short amount of fresh water for flushing along the way my windjammer has heated tanks, but I think they are 110v not 12 volt. (but I am not sure , I will have to check that out ). We typically carry gallon containers of water, so they could be used for flushing if needed. The under belly is closed that should help some. I have never camped in super cold weather, so this will be a new experience. I am sure it will be warm and balmy for the entire trip (ha..Ha ..)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #14

It takes an extended cold snap to freeze that much water, especially when protected from the cold night sky. No way it would freeze in a day of driving unless very cold (midas well use heaters at night).
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #15

We stayed at a Loves Travel Stop in Santa Rosa NM twice while traveling around the state in November. If you want a free overnight stay, park in the very rear so truckers can use the longgggg spots. There is a Travel America there as well. 40 is VERY populated by truckers, so there are lots of stop going to Albuquerque.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #16

Down load to your phone an app like RVParky (free) that will show you campgrounds, rest stops and Wal Marts with the area you are. KOA's can be pricey. Why wouldn't you just spend a night or two at rest stops, especially as you get more west and save a little money. Or, using an app like RVParky you can find CG's that will be closer to the Interstate. Enjoy your trip!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #17

I could hit the rest stops or Walmart, but I am towing a travel trailer and no generator. Probably be a bit cool at night. I would also need to put out the bedroom slide at night. Being real new to long trips I will stick with campgrounds at or near I40. EASY in and out, less hassle for us. I am sure these campgrounds are used to one nighters.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I will dump the black and grey tanks before departing the campground. I will only have a short amount of fresh water for flushing along the way my windjammer has heated tanks, but I think they are 110v not 12 volt. (but I am not sure , I will have to check that out ). We typically carry gallon containers of water, so they could be used for flushing if needed. The under belly is closed that should help some. I have never camped in super cold weather, so this will be a new experience. I am sure it will be warm and balmy for the entire trip (ha..Ha ..)
First off welcome to the forums! You trip to NM sounds exciting and I agree with all the other comments made by others.

My Thoughts:
  • Your tank heating pads are 12 volt, so no worries. Turn them on and leave them on for the trip - they will only come on if the temps drop below 40°
  • Do NOT dump your black tank daily - this is asking for trouble. How large is your tank? 30GAL or more? If it is you and the DW using the bathroom, once a week will suffice. FYI: Ours is 42 GAL and we dump @ every 3 weeks.
  • You are pulling a travel trailer; I really do NOT recommend driving faster than 60-63MPH (your trailer tires are only rated for 65)
  • After about 4-5 hours of driving you are going to be beat. Do you really need to drive 8 hours a day?
  • Buy a good Tire Pressure monitor. These are the ones we use:
    https://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-flow-thru/
  • Keep you fresh water tank ¼-½ full - especially as you enter TX. there are a lot of lonely roads and interstates out there and being able to pull over and use your own bathroom is a good thing. Plus, God Forbid you break down in nowhere you have a fresh water source.
More questions? Ask away lots of friendly folks on the forum!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #19

One other suggestion if you are looking to save a little money, check out Passport America, it's not very expensive to join, and for overnights it can save 50% or more off the normal price. We stayed at one RV park overnight for $14 with full hook ups.

Passport America The original 50% Discount Camping Club - Passport America Discount Camping Club

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #20

Great info; does anyone have an knowledge about the KOA near I40 In Little Rock AR??. I have checked the reviews and like most they are mixed. Looking for someone who has stayed there. I plan only to stay the night. My wife is concerned about the crime rate in Little Rock, ( something she saw on TV ). I picked this one because its within driving distance and real close to I 40. We would not be going out on the town, pull in stay hooked up to TV get water, power. Eat what we have packed, take a shower and crash for the night. Leave early the next morning. Any concerns ????