Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Retired

First long distance road trip

DW and I are planning our FIRST long distance road trip with the Windjammer late April early May to Charleston SC from western MA (practicing for full time retirement). Criteria are to stay off I95 north of DC, 250-350 miles/day, be parked by 5pm, and enjoy the trip. Planned route: 1st leg I91 to I84 to I81 (Fredericksburg/Harrisburg PA area), 2nd leg I-81 (Lexington VA area), 3rd leg I-81 to I-77 (Fort Mill SC area), 4th leg I-77 to I-26 to Charleston SC. I realize this is a plan and plans can and probably will change. So the questions are simple: If you have recently traveled these roads what are your opinions concerning hauling a TT over them? Are there any RV campgrounds or overnight areas (Pilot, etc.) you would recommend along the route? What areas are a definite must to see? Other tips?

Thank you for your insights in advance.

Happy Trails
Old 02-24-2016, 03:10 AM   #2

Sorry I can't help on the route, but I'm with you on this!

<250-350 miles/day, be parked by 5pm>

I've seen some 10-12 hrs./day trips posted and IMHO that is crazy and a recipe for a very unhappy travel experience - especially if it involves more than one person, and especially if they are married. Set up by dinner and enjoy the meal and evening - yes!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #3

We travel part of that route. I-81 is heavily traveled by semis. Good thing is there are frequent services. Road is in good shape. We typically travel 400-500 miles per day on long distance trips.

I would also check out a route that would get you on I-95 south of Fredericksburg VA.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #4

I would go 81 to 66 just past Winchester Va. Then 17 to 95. 66 & 17 are both 4 lane and no real hills to deal with like there are on 77. Also install the app RVparky on your phone and it will give you your gas stops, campgrounds, walmarts and much more plus as you travel it pinpoints your location and what is around.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
I would go 81 to 66 just past Winchester Va. Then 17 to 95. 66 & 17 are both 4 lane and no real hills to deal with like there are on 77. Also install the app RVparky on your phone and it will give you your gas stops, campgrounds, walmarts and much more plus as you travel it pinpoints your location and what is around.
OK ~~ that is making me think!! I know I can pull the 5er up and with the engine brake have no trouble coming down ~~ just do not like the steep 7 mile mountain at the VA/NC border on I-77. Will be going more west to NE Ohio. I-77 is great as I never see I-95. Now I'll be getting the maps out.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:05 AM   #6
Always Learning

First long distance road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I've seen some 10-12 hrs./day trips posted and IMHO that is crazy and a recipe for a very unhappy travel experience - especially if it involves more than one person, and especially if they are married. Set up by dinner and enjoy the meal and evening - yes!
Slight hijack...

My family of 4 prefers long days. We'd rather drive less longer days than more shorter days.

We just drive from CA to FL (~2,500 miles) over the course of a month and no single day over 250 or so miles. We were mean by the end of it. If there's a next time, I'm doing that in 4-5 long days of driving.