Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
First time out, what could go wrong?

I would like to say "Hi" to everyone, my wife and I, plus 2 Corgi's bought our first travel trailer in January. We live in Ohio and have been patently waiting for the rain to stop. I fly model airplanes for a hobby. There was a big airplane event in South Carolina that my friends tried to talk me into going. I decided that a 500 mile one way trip was too far for our first time. They all left on Thursday the 5 of May. Then the phone calls started. How nice it is, how warm it is, you can see the sun, what are you doing. Blah, blah, blah. I kept telling them, next year, OK, next year. Friday I was sitting in the garage, watching it rain on the trailer. I looked around and said," I could be dead this time next year". and went looking for the wife and told her it was a RED ALERT!, we were going to South Carolina! She then reminded me of my daughters wedding shower the next day, stupid wedding....OK, we will leave after the shower. They say men can't make decisions on the fly. We leave the next day at 4 PM and make it down to London, KY. We find a Walmart and pull in to spend the night. Hey this is great. We get ready for bed, we have no water, had water on the hose at the house, no water here? No problem, use bottle water. Turned out we had to prime the pump with a bottle of water. We went to bed, then it happened, Saturday night, London, KY. , Walmart. Cruise night at the Walmart. My truck was the only truck in the parking lot with a stock exhaust, OK, any exhaust.Then we had the guys with the mini trucks going around and dropping the hydraulics and dragging the rear bumpers to see how much sparks they could make. Plus the music(?) of 2 guys beating on a truck inner tube with boat paddles. Luckily, we had a thunderstorm come thru and they all left. About 2 AM, the guys came out of Walmart and started collecting carts. You would be surprised how much noise that was. then about 3:30 the lot sweeper came in.....We were on the road about 6 AM, the wife said next time pull into the medium of I-75 it's got to be quieter. We go on the South Carolina, the sun was out, it was so warm, it was nice. We got our camping spot. Dry camping. My buddy fixed the water pump with a bottle of water, and we spread out the awning, awning mat, chairs, propane grill. Everything was great. About dark, they came thru and said there was going to be a severe thunderstorm coming, is there any other type? Well, RED ALERT again, the awning gets rolled up, chairs stacked under the camper, propane grill goes in to the storage pass thru. The storm hits, it's got 50 mph winds, rain, and thunder cracking all around. OK we can do this. Then the propane alarm goes off. Man, can that thing make some noise. The thunder is cracking, the dogs are howling and the alarm is screaming, and the wife asks me to turn that thing off. So, I go out in the storm, and turn the propane tanks off that are on the trailer, no good, keeps screaming, So I go out and turn off the battery. There, fixed it. We go on to bed, I wake up about 5 AM, turn on the flashlight and go to the bathroom. On the way back, I can smell propane, so maybe that alarm was really trying to tell us something. But the propane is turned off. Then I remember the grill. I go out to the pass thru, opened it up and get knocked down. The grill was on, filled up the pass thru then it filtered into the inside of the camper. I opened both doors on the pass thru. After that, we had a great time, got to meet old friends and make new ones. We are already looking forward to our next event, I just thought you might have a laugh at a rookies first time out. Take care and hope to see you out there somewhere
Randy Hatton

lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Don't worry, it will be your most memorable trip, great to tell this story around campfires for years to come

flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

well done, sir.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Really enjoyed the tale as we are getting ready to take our first trip this weekend. Just local though to get situated and comfortable with the trailer. Glad to hear nothing really serious happened. Then I laughed when I saw your first name. I am a Randy as well and fully expect an eventful first trip. Happy camping and enjoy the new toy!

Randy and Patty
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
very good. well told.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Great story! Bet your friends had a good chuckle around the campfire...unless that got rained out.
I laughed out loud at your wife's comment about overnighting in the median of I-75.
btw... You are so right in your statement that we may not be here for the "next time"
Steve & Lauren
2011 Windjammer 3065W
2012 Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Hard to top a first outting like that lol, but glad everything worked out in the end.

2006 F350 Lariat CC DRW 4x4 6.0 Diesel
2008 Flagstaff 8528 RLSS
German Sheperd named Kasey who thinks all the toys are for her
Don.W is offline   Reply With Quote