Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Smile First Trip in NTM Camper

A month ago, I sold my Rockwood Freedom 1910 pop-up camper. I wanted to upgrade to a travel trailer...and I did! I bought a 2014 Salem Cruise Lite from a couple who were upgrading to something bigger as well. I love my new-to-me camper!!

Bella, my geo-caching, camping-loving dog, & I took it out last week on our maiden voyage. We went to Fort McAllister in Richmond Hill, GA. This GA State Park is only 8 miles off I-95 (exit to Hwy 144). It's a great place to stay. The campsites are drive-thru and large. There's foliage & some trees between sites. You can see your neighbor but they're not right next to you like other places I've stayed. The comfort stations were well-maintained and clean. The office area also serves as a historic Civil War museum. Located behind that is a battle ground that has cannons, mortar shelters, and other remnants of the war. The park has about 55 campsites, a boat dock, nature trails, and salt-water fishing pier. They are very dog-friendly. I talked with some camp hosts who offered to help me in anyway I needed since I was alone and on my inaugural trip. They were super nice.

Of special note..... there's a "Dick Gore's RV World" right off I-95 at the Hwy 144 exit. If any RV supplies or parts are needed.

The only bad thing I ran into are those dad-gum sand gnats!! They are vicious. But they'll be at almost any campsite in southeast Georgia this time of year!

Great few days of camping. Love my new-to-me Cruise Lite!!

IMG_1160 Fort McAllister campsite
Old 03-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

We stayed there back in Feb. for the first time by accident. An accident on 95 slowed things down a lot so we decided to stop here for the night. What a great place to camp. We had when for a late night dog walk with a flashlight. The amount of eyes in the woods was amazing, deer, raccoons and oddly cats. It was so neat yeah little creepy but neat!

We had already booked a week stay in Sept before we left. I will be ready to fish is time!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #3

Congrats on your new camper! Brave to go out by yourself. I would struggle to get it hitched and unhitched by myself. Ours is a PITA.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Brave to go out by yourself.
Either brave or crazy!! LOL One thing I've learned through my years of camping.....campers are always willing to help someone out! I pulled up at the dump station. I've never done this before, but I had the directions on a sheet of paper. As soon as I got out of my car with the paper and quickly read through the steps, two campers walked over & asked if I needed help. I laughed and said what gave me away?? We walked through the process with no issues. They were very friendly and helpful. They, too, said I was brave to be there alone, being it was my first trip in the camper. Brave?? No, just determined!!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

Like your sign! Where'd you get it?
We host an annual event at a nearby lake and it'd be nice to have one like that.
sujopodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujopodders View Post
Like your sign! Where'd you get it?
We host an annual event at a nearby lake and it'd be nice to have one like that.
I actually designed it myself! I had it printed at www.vistaprint.com. It was inexpensive and printed on vinyl. I love it!

Tags
camper