Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Always Learning

Florida beaches closest to Orlando

I'm going to spend some time in Orlando this summer and would like to take two 1-day trips to beaches near Clermont, FL. We would like to spend a day on the Gulf coast and a day on the Atlantic coast. We are simple beach bums, play on the sand and in the waves kind of people. A boardwalk/shops aren't required (they aren't a turn off, either).

Ideas? My MIL (mother-in-law) has heard of recommendations for Clearwater Beach. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

Go to Cocoa Beach on the East Coast. Tourist area, but a nice beach and plenty of places to eat. Who knows you might see a rocket launch
campbuzz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #3

+1 for Cocoa Beach, but drive a little further to Daytona Beach and you can park on the beach itself for $10. Saves the walk toting the stuff. If you go to Daytona Beach, look for Route 421/Dunlawton Ave. for a straight shot to the beach.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #4

+1 for Daytona...great beach and town!
Not so much for Clearwater Beach..try Honeymoon Island in Dunedin for a real Gulf Beach.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narboza View Post
+1 for Cocoa Beach, but drive a little further to Daytona Beach and you can park on the beach itself for $10. Saves the walk toting the stuff. If you go to Daytona Beach, look for Route 421/Dunlawton Ave. for a straight shot to the beach.
"you can park on the beach itself" - I'm driving a 4x4 dually and would have no idea what to do if something went wrong. Are you sure this is good advice for me?

Ok, a couple of votes for Cocoa Beach.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
+1 for Daytona...great beach and town!
Not so much for Clearwater Beach..try Honeymoon Island in Dunedin for a real Gulf Beach.
"for a real Gulf Beach" - can you describe the differences any?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
"you can park on the beach itself" - I'm driving a 4x4 dually and would have no idea what to do if something went wrong. Are you sure this is good advice for me?

Ok, a couple of votes for Cocoa Beach.

You will have not problem on the beach in Daytona. It is particularly hard sand. I have seen Class C motor homes literally full of spring breakers cruising without issue in the "driving lanes". Just choose where to park carefully. It is an interesting novelty. Apparently the beach is where racing started in DAB. Of course soon as your are off of the beach, head for the car wash! That salt gets everywhere. It ate my old Subaru GL-5.

That said, I would rather go to Canaveral/Cocoa from your base of operations. Easier drive and you can visit NASA. We were able to go into the Vehicle Assembly Building a couple of years ago. Hopefully it is still open to tours.

Melbourne is pretty nice as well and had a lot of surfing way back when. I doubt that has changed.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Always Learning

Thanks for the beach comments. When I was in NJ once, I saw a guy get pretty good and stuck on the way out to the beach. At Daytona, do people air down their tires?

Interesting, I forgot about Port Canaveral and making a day trip to NASA stuff. I'm filling my calendar out, to make sure that we hit the things that we want to!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbuzz98 View Post
Go to Cocoa Beach on the East Coast. Tourist area, but a nice beach and plenty of places to eat. Who knows you might see a rocket launch
We used to live in Orlando...well Clermont, and Cocoa beach was fun, but not so much for family. Rocket booms are a lot of fun.

On the Gulf coast go to Tampa/Clearwater.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Clearwater on the Gulf side would be my choice for that area...little less tourist compared to Tampa beach area... (lived north of Tampa for a couple of years...I preferred area)

Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #11

If you get a chance, visit Crystal River on the Gulf coast. If you are lucky you can swim with the Manatees.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
If you get a chance, visit Crystal River on the Gulf coast. If you are lucky you can swim with the Manatees.
That is one of our planned day trips. I figure we'll do some kind of guided company for it.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
"you can park on the beach itself" - I'm driving a 4x4 dually and would have no idea what to do if something went wrong. Are you sure this is good advice for me? .
Absolutely. I have taken my dually onto the sand without problem. Get there before 11 to get the easiest parking since you will have turning radius challenges. Check when high tide is though. The close the beach when approaching high tide. That time is important for driving since it is what keeps the sand hard packed.

Cocoa Beach is another great one I have been to several times. The Melbourne area is a little further south and a little less crowded. Anywhere along that stretch (Daytona to Melbourne) is good. Just locate the causeways to the barrier island.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
"for a real Gulf Beach" - can you describe the differences any?
Duh, a real Gulf beach would have to be on the Gulf? Therefore any beach on the Daytona side would not qualify.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Duh, a real Gulf beach would have to be on the Gulf? Therefore any beach on the Daytona side would not qualify.
Hey now, while reading comprehension isn't my strongest skill- camaraderie was talking about Clearwater Beach.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #16

I vote Daytona or New Smyrna for the Atlantic side. And don't worry about driving on the sand, I had no issues and did not adjust the air in my tires. It sure is nice to be able to pack everything in the bed of the truck, and not have to lug it back and forth.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Hey now, while reading comprehension isn't my strongest skill- camaraderie was talking about Clearwater Beach.
Would not deny that, but a real Gulf beach would defined as any beach on the Gulf of Mexico which covers all of them, not just Clearwater Beach.

Some are even in other states and countries.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #18

Without a doubt, cocoa Beach is the best. It is also the best stretch of uncrowded beach on the East Coast. Take "the Beach Line" rt 528 due east. If in an RV there is Jetty Park right on the beach at the end of 528. Lots to see, restaurants galore, and most if not all "snow birds" are gone. I know...I've been a snowbird and homeowner there almost thirty years.
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

If it were me, I'd spend two days on the Atlantic coast. I've been to the Clearwater Beach area numerous times and it just doesn't appeal to me. Terrible traffic. Takes forever to get from point A to point B. Lots of older development. Not my way to relax.

If you do end up going to the Port Canaveral area, check out the cruise schedule for departing ships. Google "Jetty Park" - campground, playground, etc. I might even go there and stay a few nights sometime and take a Disney cruise again. Sure beats a hotel.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

That is one of our planned day trips. I figure we'll do some kind of guided company for it.
In actuality, the best season to see a lot of manatees is in the winter, during the colder weeks of the year as most of them all are congregating in the warm spring holes to keep body temps in check...During the summer months they spread out due to the Gulf waters being much warmer...not that you won't see any, just much more impressive in colder months