Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Florida campground suggestions

We are planning a Florida trip this winter (Dec 26-Jan 1) with some friends and I've been beating my head against the wall trying to nail down a place. Don't really want any surprises once we get there and want reasonable weather along with about 16-17 hours from here in SE PA. Was dead set on Fort Desoto, but was out of the country without internet and by the time we got back it's all booked. Looking for a place on either coast from say Spring hill to Sarasota on the gulf side and from Cocoa Beach to Fort Pierce on the Atlantic side. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Scott
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #2

Just finishing my "Discover Florida Tour".
So far I have found the West Coast the Best Coast
East Coast too congested and traffic a nightmare.
Turtle Creek on Siesta Key small. Close n intimate
State n County Parks reasonably priced but lack amenities
Really depends on what you are looking for.
Stay away from FLEETWOOD in Jacksonville!
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

We like the Florida State Parks. If you are interested check out Gamble Rodgers State Park around Daytona Beach. Just opened up a new campground section and I see there are quite a few openings. The main campground on the beach is booked as usual but the new campground across the highway is now open and I'm sure you can get in. This
is a bit unusual for a Florida State Park so close to the water. Good luck
Old 07-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

State parks are probably your best bet because snow birds migrate down and fill up the campgrounds for the winter months. It makes it hard for us residents to camp during our nice weather months. Our local resort is filled up during the winter with a waiting list.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
We are planning a Florida trip this winter (Dec 26-Jan 1) with some friends and I've been beating my head against the wall trying to nail down a place. Don't really want any surprises once we get there and want reasonable weather along with about 16-17 hours from here in SE PA. Was dead set on Fort Desoto, but was out of the country without internet and by the time we got back it's all booked. Looking for a place on either coast from say Spring hill to Sarasota on the gulf side and from Cocoa Beach to Fort Pierce on the Atlantic side. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Scott
Call Treasure Coast RV in FT Pierce, openings till mid Jan. Don't wait much longer. Winter 6 mo. every year.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:30 AM   #6

try Road Runner Travel Resort in Fort Pierce on the east coast.
Wintered there this year and they always had several sites that kept turning over after a few days or a week stay.
They do pack them in though.
Another location we stayed at was in Cedar Key RV Resort in Cedar Key Fla on the west coast, above Orlando. Not sure what the weather will be like that time of year, but the sites are nicely spaced apart and landscaped.
Good Luck

Pmay2088
pmay2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #7

We decided and booked Manatee Hammock park in Titusville. It's just a hair farther north than I wanted to be but the info I've found shows an average of 70 in Jan and that will work for us. Sites also look to be bigger and less cramped than most of the private parks, which I prefer. Right on the indian river so we can drop the kayaks right in. Only time will tell now if we made a good call. I read about Road Runner and really like the area as my grandmother lives right off 95 and Indrio rd, but I like spacious sites. Probably just head to Ft Pierce without the trailer for a day.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
Weekender

FYI. You'd probably be happy in either. Manatee Hammock used to be a commercially owned CG that was taken over by the county. That made it a step above the normal county/state parks as far as facilities. I have been there a few times and it was nice. I am not sure that it is more spacious than Roadrunner (one of our favorites), but the river access is nice. Convenient to grocery stores, etc., only about a mile away. Winter water temps are high 50's to low 60's. Should be nice.
BTW, we are headed to Roadrunner this weekend for our annual family camp out. Family loves it, too.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #9

Been to Manatee Hammock several times & really like it. Not the fanciest, but nice. Correct on the kayaks, they have a ramp within the campground. Need any info on the area, drop me a PM.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 AM   #10

Just looked at Manatee Hammock. I like the fact that it is close to the Space Center and on the water. I have been wanting to take the kids to Kennedy. I'm thinking a October camp date for the family.

We just got back from Ft. Desoto south of St Pete. This is county owned and taken care of with very private sites. Can be a little tight for larger units but on the water and close to the fort and a few beaches. No sewer hookups but dump stations available.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Call Treasure Coast RV in FT Pierce, openings till mid Jan. Don't wait much longer. Winter 6 mo. every year.
Hi Vince, We camped there a few summers ago for a week and loved it! Friendly folks and well kept grounds. Wifey loved the free popcorn in the clubhouse by the sparkling clean pool. We were wondering how crazy it got during the snowbird season.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Hi Vince, We camped there a few summers ago for a week and loved it! Friendly folks and well kept grounds. Wifey loved the free popcorn in the clubhouse by the sparkling clean pool. We were wondering how crazy it got during the snowbird season.

Much better in winter, more people, many more activities. Heavy in Dec., full in Jan and Feb with waiting list. We stay Oct-April and have a blast. Not too crazy, about 1/3 partake in activities including meals, there's lots nearby outside the campground to do also. Lots of "patio parties".

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

Alifia River State Camp Ground. the staff is friendly and the sights are beautiful. Plenty of Walking, Bike, and Horse trails. We go there three to five times a year.
jimmymjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #14

How are Florida campgrounds in the winter if you're only looking to stay a couple days? Are they all booked solid or do they hold back a sites for overnights and weekenders?

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #15

All state parks that I know of have reservable and first come first serve. We go for the weekend frequently as well as one night and then to the next one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
mpg