Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Florida destinations

Typically we go to Destin (not camping) would like to go somewhere close during July 4th but the campground in Destin is full. Any recommendations on campgrounds in Ft. Walton, Panama City, Gulf shores...that is by the beach. I want to be on the beach last year we went to Outer Banks so we enjoy camping on beach or within walking distance.

I prefer nice campground with full hookups and pull through sites.

Thanks for suggestions
hammer40330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

We will be at Emerald Beach, Navarra in a couple weeks.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminz View Post
We will be at Emerald Beach, Navarra in a couple weeks.

Is it a camp ground? What is name of campground?
hammer40330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Emerald Beach RV Park
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Not directly on Gulf but on Santa Rosa Sound
Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40330 View Post
Typically we go to Destin (not camping) would like to go somewhere close during July 4th but the campground in Destin is full. Any recommendations on campgrounds in Ft. Walton, Panama City, Gulf shores...that is by the beach. I want to be on the beach last year we went to Outer Banks so we enjoy camping on beach or within walking distance.

Thanks for suggestions
We are booked in Destin the week before the 4th. We reserved in January to get a spot, all the state parks were already booked so we had to pay a premium for one of the private sites. This is the peak of the peak season for the northern Gulf Coast so sites are booked well in advance. Good Luck.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #7

Presnell's Bayside Marina & RV Resort, Port St. Joe, Florida
Presnell's Bayside Marina & RV Resort - Port St. Joe, FL - RV Park Reviews

not on the beach, but next to the water and wonderful beach not far away at St Joseph St Park and at another park (free) almost across the street from Presnell's... camp has new owners...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #8

Try Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores. We just got back from eight nights there. Loved it. We made reservations for the same time next year. It would be a long shot, but try Topsail Hill State Park in Santa Rosa Beach. Or Grayton Beach Park. Both are on 30A just east of Destin. Topsail is great, spent a week there in September, but it stays full most of the time.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Florida destinations

Was just at Camp Gulf... what an over rated over priced spot. Was the worst campground and most expensive spot on our 20 day trip. Employees are great, sites are very close together, only a few beach front spots, not at all what we expected. I'm sure a lot of people love it, and we made the best of it and still enjoyed our stay.

Few issues: lucky I had a 50 to 30 amp adapter. The 30 amp receptacle was bad. Bathroom toilets were all over flowing, not fixed after two days. They actually charge extra to use water slide. People drive around the loop continuously in golf carts blasting music, was kinda funny actually, like the kids that just drive around in circles showing off cars at the local hangout.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
Was just at Camp Gulf... what an over rated over priced spot. Was the worst campground and most expensive spot on our 20 day trip. Employees are great, sites are very close together, only a few beach front spots, not at all what we expected. I'm sure a lot of people love it, and we made the best of it and still enjoyed our stay.

Few issues: lucky I had a 50 to 30 amp adapter. The 30 amp receptacle was bad. Bathroom toilets were all over flowing, not fixed after two days. They actually charge extra to use water slide. People drive around the loop continuously in golf carts blasting music, was kinda funny actually, like the kids that just drive around in circles showing off cars at the local hangout.
We are in Destin right now not far from Camp Gulf at Destin RV Resort and really like it. Know what you mean about Camp Gulf, we rode through it this past January and decided then it wasn't for us.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #11
Tom

In late June on the way to Destin from I-10 there is a toll bridge going across the Back Bay. The traffic was really backed up, and was I able to manuever to a booth with an attendant to pay my 12.00 toll. Well today I got a Toll Enforcement Invoice stating I owe them 8.50, there was a snapshot of the tag on the rear of my TT. Needless to say I am somewhat befuddled on this but apparently after googling, it happens quite often. The consensus is to go head and pay because it is not worth the trouble. In my opinion this a bordeline scam, there is no telling how much the state of Florida collects from this overcharge.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 AM   #12

about 5 years ago I received a bogus bill from the FL toll commission, ( whatever it is called) and when I googled it, there was a scam going around from hacked images trying to get credit card payments to a bogus firm... I never paid and never heard another word

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 AM   #13
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
about 5 years ago I received a bogus bill from the FL toll commission, ( whatever it is called) and when I googled it, there was a scam going around from hacked images trying to get credit card payments to a bogus firm... I never paid and never heard another word
Yes I heard about that one also when I did my little background research. The one I got was legit alright, for that small amount I will just write them a check and be over it.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post

We drove from Ohio to get to Camp Gulf. This was our first time camping in Florida... so we didn't know what to expect. We stayed out close to the beach at one of their sites and loved it. We could pop back and forth from the beach to the TT easily which is what we were after. We were there the last week of June and just missed tropical storm Cindy.

We would spend evenings up at the pool and did some family friendly craft activities during some of the rain showers (kids are all under 10). We weren't back in the campgrounds very much at all to see hear the golf carts LOL... but it seems that we're behind getting our custom golf cart bought and into the mix.

Main reason I'm replying was to inquire about better places to stay - were any of those on the beach like CampGulf, or did you just prefer the sites and accommodations from your travels better?

TIA - cheers [emoji482]
mt_creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #15
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_creative View Post
We drove from Ohio to get to Camp Gulf. This was our first time camping in Florida... so we didn't know what to expect. We stayed out close to the beach at one of their sites and loved it. We could pop back and forth from the beach to the TT easily which is what we were after. We were there the last week of June and just missed tropical storm Cindy.

We would spend evenings up at the pool and did some family friendly craft activities during some of the rain showers (kids are all under 10). We weren't back in the campgrounds very much at all to see hear the golf carts LOL... but it seems that we're behind getting our custom golf cart bought and into the mix.

Main reason I'm replying was to inquire about better places to stay - were any of those on the beach like CampGulf, or did you just prefer the sites and accommodations from your travels better?

TIA - cheers [emoji482]
Don't know of any others that have spots right on the Gulf beaches. The issue with Camp Gulf if you get in a dry spell which has not been the case this summer and get strong southerly winds, everything you own gets covered in sand. Personally I don't care for that.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
Don't know of any others that have spots right on the Gulf beaches. The issue with Camp Gulf if you get in a dry spell which has not been the case this summer and get strong southerly winds, everything you own gets covered in sand. Personally I don't care for that.

Gotcha. Thanks for the update, just making sure we weren't missing out on a better summer opportunity. We're headed back next years with a bigger group in a house so we're going to try to drive around and scope out other facilities while we're down there to get a first hand look.

We're beach people. I still have sand in my truck from our trip, I just consider it a personal keepsake [emoji23] my sister-in-law would have been miserable with all the sand!
mt_creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #17

The toll you paid to an actual person was for the bridge. The bill you received is for the toll road leading to the bridge. They add a surcharge to the normal $6.50 (truck and trailer) for the "Bill by Tag." I make this trip quite often and use the SunPass.

If you make the trip more than once, the SunPass is the best option. It is also good for almost every toll road or bridge in the Southeast. They also will honor PeachPass, etc.

If you are looking for really nice places, Henderson Beach State Park is wonderful. Nice sites and a wonderful beach. However, that is all they have. If you are looking to get in over holidays, you need to make your reservations 11 months in advance.
Topsail State Park is also very good. It has a pool and a good beach, too. However, it seems to have a lot more kids at this one. I don't mind the kids, but I know some people do.
If you'd like to stay somewhere else, Navarre is a nice area, too. Emerald Beach RV Park in Navarre is a very good private park, with a small beach (on the sound), a fishing pier, and a pool. Another advantage of Navarre, no tolls to get there!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40330 View Post

Thanks for suggestions
I know this is late for this trip, but there is a very good KOA, but it is a little drive to the beach. The KOA is in Milton, just off I-10 on FL87. If you go south on FL87, you end up in Navarre (about 20 minutes). Navarre has excellent beaches. We've stayed here 6 times and really love the staff, the sites, the bathhouses, the pool, etc. They have a range of site types and almost all are pull-through. Some are on grass, some are on gravel, and some are paved.

Easy access to just about anything in this area of the panhandle.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #19

Topsail, Emerald Beach, and the KOA have full hook ups.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #20
Tom

Thanks for the explanation about the toll fee. I have always come in from the West on 98 but this is the first time I pulled my camper so decided to take this route instead. It ended up costing me $20.50 to do so, no big deal at least I will know next time. Next time won't be the summer peak season again. I remember when Destin had one grocery store, now is is almost comical with the crowds and gridlock.