Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Florida Keys

Question to all who have traveled to the Fla Keys. Is it best to take the Turnpike all the way? Will be traveling from NE Fla & want to avoid as much traffic as possible & this looks like it will take you west of Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Miami, etc. Would appreciate any info.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Florida Keys

Yes, Fl Turnpike is your best option. Just north of Miami you pick up the Sawgrass Expy (toll). This will keep you west of the megalopolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

Thanks dalford; that's what I thought. Thought I would ask someone who's been there.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Thanks dalford; that's what I thought. Thought I would ask someone who's been there.
You're welcome. Do you have Sunpass or ePass? If not get one of them. This will help you save time as you won't have to stop at any toll booths. The Sawgrass Expy has the tag picture system but I have never had to use it as I have Sunpass. I guess it works with trailers. I'm sure someone will chime in who has used their RV there..

Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

All you have to do for Toll BY Plate is sign up online, put in your plate number and load it up with some cash. It will take them about a week to withdraw the funds, its not instant like some other systems.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #6

Don't know how far east in NE FL you are but if you are close to I75, I would suggest you consider US27 via I75 & the Turnpike. I've been travelling to the Keys for the last 20 years from the Tallahassee area and find 27 to be the shortest route (less gas) while adding only about an hour to the total drive. Also, no tolls except for the 18 miles of FL Turnpike from Wildwood to Clermont (in order to miss Leesburg...worth every penny).

Yes, Krome Ave. from 27 through Homestead has been a problematic drive but a goodly portion of it is currently receiving 4 lane widening...much needed.

Also, there are plenty of stoplights along the way in central Florida but much fewer highway heroes with dubious driving skills as found on expressways.

I was a tent camper in the Keys until this year. Towing 27 was not much different than previous trips.

Worth consideration if you are close.

Oh, and if you want to break the trip up as we did in February, try Fisheating Creek Outpost close to Palmdale on the way down...and schedule 2 nights to enjoy a canoe/kayak trip on Fisheating Creek...wild orchids, alligators, birds, beautiful. And on the way back, Lake Louisa State Park near Clermont...maybe the most well designed and cleanest campground I've seen. And 3 lakes for canoeing/kayaking and many bike/hiking trails...and foothills in Florida no less.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
You're welcome. Do you have Sunpass or ePass? If not get one of them. This will help you save time as you won't have to stop at any toll booths. The Sawgrass Expy has the tag picture system but I have never had to use it as I have Sunpass. I guess it works with trailers. I'm sure someone will chime in who has used their RV there..

Had already considered the SunPass. Can pick it up at the Okahumpka service plaza on the way down. Thanx again.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #8

Thanx windsurfdog
I'm near Gainesville, so I'll pick up I75 @ Ocala then the turnpike. About an 8 hour drive from home & plan on doing it in one day. Thanx again for all the info.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #9

Papa GLS, for your info.. You can be all set up..

Purchasing a SunPass Mini transponder or Portable transponder is easy because they are available at over 3,100 retail locations throughout the state. Retailers include Publix Super Markets, CVS Pharmacy stores, Walgreens, Amscot Financial branches and AAA South offices in Florida.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #10

Another thumbs up for the Sunpass. If you take the turnpike all the way down to Florida City, the last section from Fort Lauderdale south has no toll booths. You must have Sunpass or use the toll by plate. Sunpass is much easier.

Enjoy your trip! We love the Keys. Both images in my profile are from there.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

As a south florida resident the only issues with turnpike are lengthy waits with accidents.
Often times a fender bender will damn near close the turnpike. And the exits are pretty far apart. Leaving you to sit for a while.
ladypmd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #12

You can buy a Sunpass "mini" at Publix for $6, and get $6 credit when you register it, so it's free. The only downside is it has to be stuck to your windshield and can't be removed without deactivating it. Turnpike all the way for sure though. I-95 to 826 can lead to stop and go driving in Miami. The turnpike extension goes west and south around Miami with far fewer potential slowdowns. And from NE FL the best place to switch from 95 to tpk is at Okeechobee in Fort Pierce. The tpk is just west of 95 there and you'll avoid the big detour west that 95 takes around Stuart.
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote