Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Oh and Iggy, as far as the "secret location"......how romantic is that!!

RVChick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
I am new to retirement, and am working on talking my husband into retiring too! I told my mother-in-law (whom I love and snowbirds in Florida each year), that when I retire, I will go hang out with her!! I am really excited to see what all the excitement is as a snowbird!! She rents a 2 bedroom house each year, and she does go to places for seniors, and has a blast with all it offers. Oh and the Lanai.....how fun is that concept!! Now that I am finally senior qualified, (although I just learned that I am still not quite old enough to qualify for senior discounts at some places, :-( I want to find great RV parks or campgrounds to snowbird for the winter too!! So, while there hanging out as a newbie snowbird, I plan to check out some great spots!! Especially since reservations are so prime!!

Have fun!!

It really is hard work to say you are retired. Actually you have more time on your hands and need to do more with your free time.
That is the hard part.
Making new friends that you enjoy being with is a great start.
That is why we belong to a few National RV clubs that we travel with and meet new people and places.
As long as you have the money and time you might as well use it to your liking and do the things you want to do. No excuses just do it because no one knows what life will hand you tomorrow.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

So true!!
RVChick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #54

I know I'm late to the party. But whatever you do, make sure you OD on conch fritters. Because you won't find any better than in the Keys.

There are tons of great/quirky/odd places to visit throughout keys. Just look for the giant lobster.

Holiday Isle (Islamorada) is a beautiful spot to stop for a bite to eat.

I also highly recommend Bahia Honda. It will cost something like $10 to get in the park.

Visit the key deer on Big Pine Key.

If you're a history buff, stop by Pigeon Key, where the builders of the original Seven Mile Bridge lived.

Another nice place to eat is Square Grouper on Cudjoe Key.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
I know I'm late to the party. But whatever you do, make sure you OD on conch fritters. Because you won't find any better than in the Keys.

There are tons of great/quirky/odd places to visit throughout keys. Just look for the giant lobster.

Holiday Isle (Islamorada) is a beautiful spot to stop for a bite to eat.

I also highly recommend Bahia Honda. It will cost something like $10 to get in the park.

Visit the key deer on Big Pine Key.

If you're a history buff, stop by Pigeon Key, where the builders of the original Seven Mile Bridge lived.

Another nice place to eat is Square Grouper on Cudjoe Key.
Regarding the key deer on Big Pine Key, they seem to be REALLY serious (as they should be) about protecting those amazing little deer, so please drive slowly while there.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #56

We have reservations at Bluewater key for 7 nights, mid May. Is that love bug season? I hope not, getting those pesky things off a Motor Home would be a challenge.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We have reservations at Bluewater key for 7 nights, mid May. Is that love bug season? I hope not, getting those pesky things off a Motor Home would be a challenge.
Unfortunately, yes, it could still be love bug season. It varies by year, depending on temperature and rain. If we get a lot of April rain, it tends to wash them away faster. If it's dry, they'll stick around.

We just booked Curry Hammock for July 4th.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #58

My family booked John Pennekamp sp for fourteen days in july love the scuba diving , and kayacking also doing the day trip to dry tortugas as well . Love the keys and the food, along with the laid back atmosphere next best thing to retirement for those of us to young to retire.
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #59

I can only dream at this time of having the time to motor home it from Western New York down through the Keys. Used to go to Key West couple of times a year when my brother owned Artist House B&B on Eaton St., one block away from Duvall St. It went sorta like "Hey Jim, its snowing in Buffalo" and he would say "Come On Down!".
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #60

O to KEY WEST

Haven't been there in the past few years but counting my days till I leave for that Golden Paradise 72 more days. Two weeks in the sun. I can see myself sitting on the second floor Sloppy Joes with my bucket of Coors Lite and a monster pile of bacon and chesse Fries. Were booked at the KOA 20minutes from Key west. Campground has everything and what they don't have were bringing it with us. If any of you Frogs are going to be in or around Key West May 8th or there after send me an e-mail at jasman_0241@hotmail.com we can hook up and do some dinner.