Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #1

Florida Keys early June 2013

Well everyone is winterizing your rigs we are planning our 2013 USA trip.
One of the stops will be 4 nights at a secret location with full hookups around mile marker 60 in Marathon. We will be using this lcoation as our bas camp and wanted to hear from others who have travelled the keys.

I'm interested in day boat cruises and where can i find decent fresh sea food.

Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
H2oski

You have got to eat at the El Siboney Restaurant. The best food on Key West. Have a great trip. Wife and I went down a couple of years ago. Be prepared to sightsee in the morning, it will be very hot and humid that time of year. We went in May. Very few tourist that time of year. We enjoyed it.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #3

Biahonda, (forgive the spelling) is a great place to hang out and catch some sun, if that's your thing and a bite to eat. It's been a couple years since the DW and I have been down there, but Marathon has a few great places for fresh sea food. The names are fleeting me at the moment, but ask the locals and they will direct you to the best spot/harbor. Have a great time! I know we did
Not_So_Mini-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #4

x2 on El Siboney
Not_So_Mini-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
You have got to eat at the El Siboney Restaurant. The best food on Key West. Have a great trip. Wife and I went down a couple of years ago. Be prepared to sightsee in the morning, it will be very hot and humid that time of year. We went in May. Very few tourist that time of year. We enjoyed it.
Define hot in May? Remember I live in Arizona where 100 degrees is a cool afternoon in the summer.

I can change date to earlier but this way I can tavel up the east coast to NY for the rest of the month and into July.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_So_Mini-Lite View Post
Biahonda, (forgive the spelling) is a great place to hang out and catch some sun, if that's your thing and a bite to eat. It's been a couple years since the DW and I have been down there, but Marathon has a few great places for fresh sea food. The names are fleeting me at the moment, but ask the locals and they will direct you to the best spot/harbor. Have a great time! I know we did
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_So_Mini-Lite View Post
x2 on El Siboney

Thanks. I definitely have El Siboney on must eat at list.
I love whole deep fried whole fish and my DW loves shrimp any way cooked.

Now I have to find out about a nice power boat cruise to see the islands morning or evening. A snorkle cruise would be great. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #7

Iggy, I am a proud native Floridian and wish I was a native Conch too, but alas. Anyway, I go to the Keys often and if you have never been a trip to Key West is nice, but over rated in my book. Bahia Honda State Park is awesome and even better if you have your own boat as I do. I spend most of my time from Bahia Honda SP to Key Largo. Most of the Coral Reefs are in the upper Keys and can be accessed nicely by renting your own boat at John Pennekamp State Park. When we go to the Keys we either stay at Bahia Honda or Pennekamp as a basecamp.

Food, down near Vaca Key, aka City of Marathon I have two place I enjoy. The Sunset Grill on the south side of US 1 at the foot of the 7 Mile Bridge. Bring your baithing suit as they have pool and the food is pretty darn good. The other place for decent bbq and the best darn fried Key Lime Pie is this bbq place. They have a pink pig on a sign and they are on the north side of US 1 just about 1/2 mile before the 7 Mile Bridge.

On Key Largo I like this place called Sundowners and the mahi mahi there is always done well and there is another seafood place near the Yellow Bait Store which is nice too...i think it is called the fish house or something. I have eaten at Key West and nothing sticks out as exceptional. Then again, other than the architecture, I am not a fan of the place.

climate..in the Keys in June you can expect temps in the 80s..no duh, and daily doses of liquid sunshine too. June is one the best times to go as water clarity is often the best in June as cold fronts tend to be gone by then. I would highly suggest renting a boat at John Pennekamp State Park as getting to the reefs is easy from there and navigation is relatively simple. We are contemplating a June Keys trip this year but since we often tow our boat with one car and the camper with the other it gets expensive to go there. The reality of it for me to go to the Keys without my boat is nonsense -lol, so we may go and rent a house to save the gas money of towing two rigs this year because the boat aint staying home. I love to fish and spend time on the reefs. If you have sit on top kayaks the Keys is a great place to adventure. we have even paddled out to a nearshore reef in Islamadora called Hens and Chickens with our kayaks. hope this gives you some nuggets for your trip planning. Tight lines and calm seas....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #8

Bluewater Key just above Key West is one of the most luxurious spots I have ever see. You have your own dock and Tiki Hut with fridge and bar. Right on the gulf with landscaping between each hut. Heaven . www.bluewaterkey.net
Close enough for restaurants and water sports galore. Full hookups for motorhome A and C's.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

Thanks Smokyroo and Alan JS for the great information.
I have a great basecamp location for my Georgetown at the Coast Guard Station on Marathon for 4 nights with full hookups. I'm retired military and have access to the station.
We will be there from June 10th and leaving on JUne 14th.
I will be pulling my Fiat toad to skoot around and see the keys.
I have added in my plans to rent a boat and now have your information about John Pennakanp State Park and the easy navagation to the reef area. Don't you need a pilots Lic. or something in Florida?
I have navagation boats many years ago and familiar with buoys identification, port, starboard, safety, etc. So do I need something special?

Thanks all
John AKA Iggy
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
H2oski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Define hot in May? Remember I live in Arizona where 100 degrees is a cool afternoon in the summer.

I can change date to earlier but this way I can tavel up the east coast to NY for the rest of the month and into July.

Iggy sorry it took me so long to get back to you on the weather, temp is not the issue upper 80's low 90's during the afternoon it's the humitity. It's very high when you are in town sightseeing and walking around.

Have you checked out Sisbee Naval Air Station. We stayed there on Key West and had a great stay. I had no problem getting a site. No reservations. Went blind.

I was told the snow bird all leave 1 May and sights are open. They then return the end of Sept.

I can't wait for a return trip.

Hope this helps.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #11

I checked out the Naval Air Station at the southern part of the Keys.
They don't take reservations so if we plan on staying a few more days we may drive out with the car and see if they have a space then move the motorhome over. No matter where I stay along the water I always sleep like a baby at night.

No matter where we stay I'm really pumped about the location. My DW is the one that always wanted to drive out on the Keys.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

Iggy.....I have no experience in the Keys.....but.....the FamCamps in Pensacola, Cocoa Beach, and Jacksonville Navy Base are all wonderful spots along the way. Charleston SC Navy FamCamp is a good spot on up the coast, as is Solomons in So. Maryland and Andrews AFB in the DC area.
Enjoy your trip.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Iggy.....I have no experience in the Keys.....but.....the FamCamps in Pensacola, Cocoa Beach, and Jacksonville Navy Base are all wonderful spots along the way. Charleston SC Navy FamCamp is a good spot on up the coast, as is Solomons in So. Maryland and Andrews AFB in the DC area.
Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the other bases. I will be staying around Pensacola FL. Haven't checked Cocoa Beach or Charleston. Many don't take reservation and we will be flying by the seat of our pants for the week prior and after the Keys.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #14

Keys...advice from a native...

Upper Keys...get yourself scuba certified and hit the reefs...they won't be there very much longer...pollution, climate change and being loved to death is killing them. Middle Keys...if you want "fresh" seafood, charter with one of the local captains or head out on a party boat...Long Key is a great place fish...Key West was ruined a long time ago...if you must go, sample a mojito at Kelly's on Whitehead street...have the stuffed pork chops at Pepe's on the bight...take a fast cat out to the Dry Tortugas and see the fort on Garden Key...the sunsets are still free. Before you go, READ "Last train to Paradise" by Les Standiford...then follow and really see the history of the Keys on your way down. Most important...go slow...there is still much beauty to be found amongst the Keys...take the time to experience some of it.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #15

Slipf18 I must take issue with your assessment of the coral reefs in the Florida Keys. They will be around long after all of us here have left the planet. True development in the 60s and 70s with poor septic practices have lead to issues in the 80s in regards to blue green algae blooms and filamentous algaes which suffocate corals. However, muxh of that has been cleaned up. Also biologist have been studying the relationship bwtween long spine urchins and the health of a reef. Turns out long spine urchins have been in decline due to a virus. In the past 3 or 4 years they have tanked raised urchins and released them on patch reefs in test plots. The urchins that were once so plentiful once intorduced back to the reef greatly improved the coral growth and reproduction.

I have seen new growth at various reefs from year to year and while I did not measure it, we have seen new staghorn at Carrysfort and Molasis. All is not Al Gore gloom and doom the sky is falling in regards to the reefs. I have kept fish for all my life and have a degree in biology from UCF there in Orlando and a masters degree in environmental planning and resource management from FSU. I am no marine biologist but I do own a Grady White boat and I stayed my in Rockeood Roo last night (lol).

Iggy, most reefs are accessible via snorkeling and while diving is awesome, you can see the reefs and enjoy them by staying on top. I am contemplating either going to the Keys in June or joining some friends and taking our boat to Bimini in the Bahamas. If we head down there in June I will let you know if you want to meet in person.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post

Iggy, most reefs are accessible via snorkeling and while diving is awesome, you can see the reefs and enjoy them by staying on top. I am contemplating either going to the Keys in June or joining some friends and taking our boat to Bimini in the Bahamas. If we head down there in June I will let you know if you want to meet in person.
It would be great if you were in the area in June. Please keep we posted.
Iggy
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Slipf18 I must take issue with your assessment of the coral reefs in the Florida Keys. They will be around long after all of us here have left the planet. True development in the 60s and 70s with poor septic practices have lead to issues in the 80s in regards to blue green algae blooms and filamentous algaes which suffocate corals. However, muxh of that has been cleaned up. Also biologist have been studying the relationship bwtween long spine urchins and the health of a reef. Turns out long spine urchins have been in decline due to a virus. In the past 3 or 4 years they have tanked raised urchins and released them on patch reefs in test plots. The urchins that were once so plentiful once intorduced back to the reef greatly improved the coral growth and reproduction.

I have seen new growth at various reefs from year to year and while I did not measure it, we have seen new staghorn at Carrysfort and Molasis. All is not Al Gore gloom and doom the sky is falling in regards to the reefs. I have kept fish for all my life and have a degree in biology from UCF there in Orlando and a masters degree in environmental planning and resource management from FSU. I am no marine biologist but I do own a Grady White boat and I stayed my in Rockeood Roo last night (lol).

As a biology major in college, I really enjoyed your assessment of the marine life along the Florida Keys.
I remember snorkeling in Pennekamp Park during the mid 80's and marveling at the amazing reefs. My health will not allow me the vigorous activity now but the natural beauty of our coastline should not be missed.
The Florida Keys are like a land out of time. Still not destroyed by our over crowded civilization.
A bargain vacation for RVers.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #18

I love the Keys. Bahia Honda State Park is a nice place. Expect a hard drive there if the rains come down.
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #19

Hi there Bob (Smokyroo) ... I admire your optimistic view on the health of the reefs in the Keys...I was referring to my experience with the reefs accessible from Key Largo, although the situation is similar all through the Keys... I do agree with you that there are many people who are concerned and are investing much time and effort to combat the degradation of these reefs, and some strategies have proven more successful than others, but in my opinion it may be a case of too little and too late. The last time I dove out of Key Largo, the bleaching of the reefs was HORRIBLE...entire sections just gone...and while there are positives (folks are committed to growing new coral) there IS that pesky "inconvenient truth" which remains... climate change is REAL and it is raising sea temps...it is happening, whether you happen to believe in "Goreisms" or not...corals die as temps rise...that's science. Of course, the reefs will exist for some time to come, but their rate of decline is astounding...I've been diving for a lot of years, and when you compare what the reefs in the Upper Keys looked like in the 60's to what they have been reduced to today...well, it just breaks your heart...I dive throughout the Caribbean and the story is the same everywhere I go...even in carefully monitored and controlled areas like Bonaire, where there are still pristine reefs, the onslaught is beginning to be noticed. Is the death of the reefs inevitable?...I don't know. Perhaps, things can be reversed. Perhaps, there is still time. I sure would like to believe that is so.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
Bluewater Key just above Key West is one of the most luxurious spots I have ever see. You have your own dock and Tiki Hut with fridge and bar. Right on the gulf with landscaping between each hut. Heaven . www.bluewaterkey.net
Close enough for restaurants and water sports galore. Full hookups for motorhome A and C's.
Checked this out, and may try and make a reservation for next summer. We go to Ft Myers Beach every spring break, but this place sounds great, although my wife said I was driving, and her and the kids were flying down. If that be the case, I may take an extra few days for myself! Thanks for the tip.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote