Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #1

Florida Keys trip finalized

After some back and forth, finally finalized our Key West trip. After getting to the Keys, we are staying two nights in Key Largo at a new resort - Point of View RV then onto Blue Water Key RV resort for 8 nights of paradise! Will be gone two full weeks as we are coming from New Orleans. Will be caravanning with our best friend, Ed who owns a FR Lexington. On the way down we will be camping out in a friends driveway in Tampa for one night. Probably will stop there on the way back as well.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
MI Camperz

Nice! I love the keys. Been there 4 times. Are you looking for cool, free or nearly free stuff to do?
Will you have a car?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Nice! I love the keys. Been there 4 times. Are you looking for cool, free or nearly free stuff to do?
Will you have a car?
Yes, we didn't want to deal with towing a car, so we have reservations to pick up a rental in Marathon on our way to Blue Water. So, we will not have one in Key Largo, but will in Key West. And yes, we are spending a small fortune on our RV site choices, so a few free things would be great!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #4

Sounds great!!!! The Old Town Trolley in Key West is a great way to get around.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

The daily sunset celebration at Mallory Square in Key West is free and very entertaining.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
MI Camperz

1. Cheap Awesome Food: In key largo right across from the main tourist attractions (Queen Mary Boat, Glass bottom boat, etc.) there is a Cuban restaurant/take out. Locals eat there. It's says Cuban Food or Cuba Restaurant...very basic. Lots and lots of food super cheap and homemade....Get the Yuca Root with Mojo Sauce....if you love Garlic.

2. Just south of Key Largo (I think it's Tavernier Key) on the gulf side is a bird refuge. Awesome displays, attracts a lot of non-rehabbing birds because of the food. It's a nice "boardwalk" type of walk through the place. 30 min. max on your way down will do it. Free/Donation.

3. Islamarada: Robbies Marina. Buy a bucket of bait fish and Feed the Tarpons. They are huge prehistoric fish. You'll see a great many. You feed them off of the dock. Short but sweet. The buckets of bait only cost a couple of bucks.

4. Just north of Marathon is the Dolphin Research Center. This is about $30.00 per person, but worth it. Get to see dolphins in their habitats and watch the trainers....they have live shows too where the Dolphins get to show off their tricks. Not a circus act! These are scientists who train and study dolphins. This is a few hours.

5. Bahia Honda State Park south of Marathon. Beautiful park and beach. I once read it is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Prolly a small entrance fee.

6. Deer Key. This is a semi rural key with lots of residents with large properties. Drive around and see the Key Deer. They were once almost extinct, are exclusive to the keys...are only 2-3' tall full grown. They are everywhere now since well protected. They are used to people, so easy to get close enough to get good pics. Nice drive through on way down. Free

7. Key west.....well, that's just full of stuff to do and see. I like the Fort, checking out cruise ships, and tavern hopping (a must). A cool collection to start is getting pub coasters. You can add to it in your travels and it's free. I think the best way to get around Key West is by Scooter Renting. Not cheap, but worth it to see more and not be stuck in traffic all day.

8. Ditto on the Mallory Square sunset...It's a big event every day!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

$8 to get into Bahia Honda. I work in transportation, and I could spend weeks just stomping around the Keys looking at the defunct bridges. When we were last there, I kayaked around a bit of them. And then drove up to Bahia Honda just to look at the old bridge. It's freaking amazing to think people used to DRIVE on top of that thing! Could you imagine?! EEK!

As a note of personal interest, the bridge right before you get to Key Largo was built by my company. You can't miss it... it is very tall and has bright blue barrier wall.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
MI Camperz

I forgot.....a really fun way to get great food you can cook and get in a nice boat ride/experience is Sea Dawg Charters in Marathon. Go during the week, early morning 4 hour public charter. I have never had to share the time with other people, but you may (limited). The Captain will prepare everything, help. You catch tons of reef fish....yellow snapper, red snapper, mutton snapper (my favorite), etc. etc. Might even catch a Barracuda for a challenge (but poisonous to eat). Last I went it was $90.00, but they also clean and filet your fish and you can eat fresh fish all week! Plus, the four hours on the ocean is a nice boat ride.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #9

Wow ... thanks y'all - these are great ideas. We will have to do them all ... I can't wait ... leaving on Mother's Day, May 12th. In Key Largo May 13 & 14th - then checking out of Point of View and heading to Blue Water on the 15th. There until Thursday, May 23rd.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #10

Been many moons since I lived in Islamorada, but here goes...(hopefully all the food is the same)
Green Turtle Inn, Islamorada (between MM 81 and 82) - Fantastic Conch Chowder

7 Mile Grill Marathon just before the 7 mile bridge on the Gulf Side - used to have the best Key Lime Pie in the Keys (and I tried almost every place back in the 70s)

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
H2oski

You have got to eat lunch at El Siboney. Great food.

El Siboney Restaurant - Cuban Food: Home Page (Key West, FL)

If you are into boats, the Coast Guard have 2 old WWII ships that you can tour pretty cheap. Have fun.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote