Old 01-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Florida Keys without Key West

We headed down to Key West a couple weeks ago and stayed at Boyd's. Now that we've done Key West, we're done with it. My wife and I don't drink or eat seafood and we're not partiers so the bar/nightlife scene isn't something that interests us. We did all the other tourist stops there so we can cross Key West off the list.

On the way back up RT 1 we noticed several campgrounds on the various Keys. Is there anything to do at any of the other campgrounds in the Keys? We don't have a toad but have electric bicycles that give us a 10 or 15 mile travel radius from the camper. Also, what campgrounds are recommended and what ones should be avoided?

Thanks

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Bridgewater, NH & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

If you like to fish, swim, bike and relax, there's plenty of things to do. I don't have an opinion on which CG, but I think I read that one of them is closing up permanently NLT April (can't recall the name). On second thought, I do have an opinion on Bluewater Key. Super nice, and super expensive.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
If you like to fish, swim, bike and relax, there's plenty of things to do. I don't have an opinion on which CG, but I think I read that one of them is closing up permanently NLT April (can't recall the name). On second thought, I do have an opinion on Bluewater Key. Super nice, and super expensive.
X2 on the "relaxing" part!!! That is what makes the smaller Keys so great for some of us....not a lot to do except watch the "best show in the keys" everyday! The Sunset

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #4

We really liked Jolly Roger, but there isn't much to do right there at MM58, you would need to have transportation.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
We headed down to Key West a couple weeks ago and stayed at Boyd's. Now that we've done Key West, we're done with it. My wife and I don't drink or eat seafood and we're not partiers so the bar/nightlife scene isn't something that interests us. We did all the other tourist stops there so we can cross Key West off the list.

Thanks
Did that a few years ago. Never again. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
That about sums it up. They are all pretty expensive. But then, most everything in the Keys is. Tried to get a spot at several places this winter, but couldn't - they are usually booked up a year in advance.
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Eaz Lift WDH 1400# w/ Blue Ox 2 1/2" trunion
EezRV TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

We spent 8 days at Marathon over the new year. Like you, not into seafood but I tried several dishes from raw tuna to the best Hogfish that made me a fan. Oh yeah and the best Cuban expresso that I'll miss like a good dog. Key West was worth the visit to me I liked the excitement of the big crowd (for a time) and the Sunsets that we rarely get to see and the food. We didn't camp but all the campgrounds we seen we wished we were staying at any of them. We fished a lot and golfed a little. We left 84 degrees and came home to 33 and I believe I'd rather be hungry than cold. Well I'm rambling and off topic, sorry.

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

We are currently staying at Sunshine Key (MM38) It's an Encore resort. Not bad, but could be better. The sites are big for the keys. If you stay here, try and pick a site along the mangroves as these are away from US1 (less road noise). Bathhouses are well kept. Very small showers, but very clean. Pool is very nice. Not so good: the staff seems very indifferent to any concerns brought to them, lots of "not our problem" and "working on that" but very little action. If cell service is important to you, this may not be the place. WIFI is also very spotty at best. Gate security is VERY lax, many times the guard house is unoccupied both day and night. The location is not bad, but you will have to cross the 7 mile bridge to get to Marathon (10 miles away) or its about 8 miles to Big Pine Key. Both of these involve riding on US1, which some people find challenging. I think there are better choices in the Keys, but it's hard to find the perfect campground in the Keys. Good Luck!

2015 Forest River Charleston 430 RB
2017 GMC 1500 Denali

Harley2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #9

One thing you will find in the Keys is that the weekend campers from the lower east coast tends to be heavy - unless you cross the Seven Mile Bridge -which is a ride DW and I always enjoy. After that, you'll find people who are more serious about staying in the lower Keys. Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge is a very nice place. We can't stay there, since we have dogs. The Key Deer are found there, are protected, so dogs tend to be banned in some areas. There are a couple of other CGs on Big Pine Key, but don't have the water view we look for.
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Eaz Lift WDH 1400# w/ Blue Ox 2 1/2" trunion
EezRV TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #10

Our cousin and her husband have been staying at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge for many years. They pay $1500 a month for full hook ups. The people there make their own entertainment with special theme weeks and theme nights. My DH and I stay in South Florida so we always make a trip to stay with them for a few nights, we rent a camper, mobile home or an apt. Usually $120 to $150 a night. It's not the most beautiful place in the world but it's very doable with a lovely view. Nothing in the Keys is cheap, some CG up to $200 a night!! Nice place to visit for a few days.

nikita is online now   Reply With Quote