Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
Beverly Beach Camptown is a better choice for waves. Just north of Flagler beach and right on the ocean. You could also look into Sebastian Inlet State Park....
I like this one. I'm not enthusiastic about that sea wall- I was hoping for more of a flat walk out to the water, but this may work. Plus, if timing works out- I might be able to stop on our way down or back and not have to drive 2+2 hours of out my way.

I'm open to other ideas! Please keep 'em coming.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 193
We stay every year at Camptown in Beverly Beach (Flagler). You're right on the ocean with plenty of waves.
__________________

__________________
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #13
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Your best campground to meet most of your request for the "on the beach experience" will be Camp Gulf...hands down!
Very little wave action...crowded but prime beach exposure
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Your best campground to meet most of your request for the "on the beach experience" will be Camp Gulf...hands down!
Very little wave action...crowded but prime beach exposure

Hmm. My wife definitely wrinkled her nose up at the sea wall and steps at Beverly Beach Camptown. I think I'd like it's beach best.

Decisions, decisions...
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
You might look at Anastasia Island at St. Augustine. I believe it is a Florida state park and located right on the beach.
We've stayed at this one several times on a return trip from Fort Wilderness. It's a nice campground convenient to the St. Augustine area. It corners the Atlantic and Salt Run inlet.
The camp sites are not on the beach but you can drive your camper to the beach parking area. I've seen a number of campers park out there for the day.
Because it is on the Atlantic, I personally find it has more of a surf than the Gulf. I think the beaches are a bit nicer too.
If you want to go there you need to reserve early. It books up in the summer season. A great campground for bike riding too. Many of the camp sites do have the sand around the site but its a finer sand and shakes off pretty easy (except from the dog).
Campground Details - ANASTASIA SP, FL - Florida Department of Environmental Protection

Of all the Florida State parks that we have stayed at that have beaches (Gulf or Atlantic), Anastasia has been the least beach crowded.

Bobby
__________________
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It looks like we may spend some significant time in Florida in the summer again. While Walt Disney World will be our main attraction, I'm back to wanting some beach time. We got only a week this past year and I'm jonesing. I think I'd like to either take a short week (Mon-Fri) or a long weekend (Fri-Mon) and spend the ridiculous money that beachfront camping is.

I think my ideal is a sandy hell that is directly beachfront. There are 2, maybe 3, places that I know of:

1) Camp Gulf - Destin, Florida's CAMP GULF RV Park & Campground; seems expensive and cozy. Their beach front sites don't have sewer, but they do offer a honey pot service for a fee.

2) Red Coconut - Florida Beachfront RV Resort | Waterfront RV Sites | Fort Myers Beach RV Resort | Beach Rental Homes | Red Coconut RV Park |; seems slightly less expensive.

3) Fort Desoto - Pinellas County, Florida, Park and Conservation Resources - Camping Information; I can't find this on Google Maps to look at satellite views nor can I really tell if/what the beach is like directly off of the sites. How is the water here? And, it's a state park- so getting a reservation may be tricky.

I get that #1 and #2 are going to be packed in like sardines. Reading RV Park Reviews, it even sounds like Red Coconut somehow parks your rig *for* you. I'm not sure how enthusiastic about that I am.

I definitely want a beach experience with waves for playing in (boogie boarding/body surfing). I'm good for either Atlantic or Gulf (though, all that I've posted so far has been gulf).

I'll be in Clermont, FL (near Orlando) but don't mind traveling to our destination.

Any thoughts?
My campsite at Ft. DeSoto!. Just took the pic today........its paradise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0116151048-01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	68517  
__________________
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wewahitchka , Fl
Posts: 101
In the Panhandle area check out Navarre Fl area Also Mexico Beach / Port St Joe and Cape San Blas------maybe even Apalachacola (oyster capital)
__________________
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 79
You might get lucky with a 3-4 day stay at one of the state parks. Research dates on Reserveamerica.com. Look at Gamble Rogers, Sebastian Inlet or do internet search for Florida beachfront campgrounds. Campsitephotos.com is great for seeing pictures of individual campsites. Beverly Beach has very narrow sites up on a seawall overlooking the beach. It is a very nice place as long as you expect narrow sites. Have fun!
__________________
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
My campsite at Ft. DeSoto!. Just took the pic today........its paradise.
I'll be there with you next week. Can't wait!
__________________
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 95
Florida beaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It looks like we may spend some significant time in Florida in the summer again. While Walt Disney World will be our main attraction, I'm back to wanting some beach time. We got only a week this past year and I'm jonesing. I think I'd like to either take a short week (Mon-Fri) or a long weekend (Fri-Mon) and spend the ridiculous money that beachfront camping is.

I think my ideal is a sandy hell that is directly beachfront. There are 2, maybe 3, places that I know of:

1) Camp Gulf - Destin, Florida's CAMP GULF RV Park & Campground; seems expensive and cozy. Their beach front sites don't have sewer, but they do offer a honey pot service for a fee.

2) Red Coconut - Florida Beachfront RV Resort | Waterfront RV Sites | Fort Myers Beach RV Resort | Beach Rental Homes | Red Coconut RV Park |; seems slightly less expensive.

3) Fort Desoto - Pinellas County, Florida, Park and Conservation Resources - Camping Information; I can't find this on Google Maps to look at satellite views nor can I really tell if/what the beach is like directly off of the sites. How is the water here? And, it's a state park- so getting a reservation may be tricky.

I get that #1 and #2 are going to be packed in like sardines. Reading RV Park Reviews, it even sounds like Red Coconut somehow parks your rig *for* you. I'm not sure how enthusiastic about that I am.

I definitely want a beach experience with waves for playing in (boogie boarding/body surfing). I'm good for either Atlantic or Gulf (though, all that I've posted so far has been gulf).

I'll be in Clermont, FL (near Orlando) but don't mind traveling to our destination.

Any thoughts?
Fort de Soto is amazing but it will be hard to get in their campground especially for a weekend. We managed 10 days but had to move after 6.

Fort Myers beach is beautiful...Red Coconut Florida Beachfront RV Resort | Waterfront RV Sites | Fort Myers Beach RV Resort | Beach Rental Homes | Red Coconut RV Park |

We follow the dog beaches! Jupiter Beach is gorgeous (east coast) and I believe there are campgrounds close by. We have not stayed at either because we like leash free beaches when possible. Have fun. We are staying for 3 months this year and right now are in Port St. Lucie for Walton Rocks Beach - off leash so not the best place unless you have a dog
__________________

__________________
Jo, Elliott, Cloey & Zoey (Havanese sisters)
Georgetown 2014 328TS; 2010 Toyota Corolla
JoanneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.