Old 01-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
Beverly Beach Camptown is a better choice for waves. Just north of Flagler beach and right on the ocean. You could also look into Sebastian Inlet State Park....
I like this one. I'm not enthusiastic about that sea wall- I was hoping for more of a flat walk out to the water, but this may work. Plus, if timing works out- I might be able to stop on our way down or back and not have to drive 2+2 hours of out my way.

I'm open to other ideas! Please keep 'em coming.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #12

We stay every year at Camptown in Beverly Beach (Flagler). You're right on the ocean with plenty of waves.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Your best campground to meet most of your request for the "on the beach experience" will be Camp Gulf...hands down!
Very little wave action...crowded but prime beach exposure
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Your best campground to meet most of your request for the "on the beach experience" will be Camp Gulf...hands down!
Very little wave action...crowded but prime beach exposure

Hmm. My wife definitely wrinkled her nose up at the sea wall and steps at Beverly Beach Camptown. I think I'd like it's beach best.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
You might look at Anastasia Island at St. Augustine. I believe it is a Florida state park and located right on the beach.
We've stayed at this one several times on a return trip from Fort Wilderness. It's a nice campground convenient to the St. Augustine area. It corners the Atlantic and Salt Run inlet.
The camp sites are not on the beach but you can drive your camper to the beach parking area. I've seen a number of campers park out there for the day.
Because it is on the Atlantic, I personally find it has more of a surf than the Gulf. I think the beaches are a bit nicer too.
If you want to go there you need to reserve early. It books up in the summer season. A great campground for bike riding too. Many of the camp sites do have the sand around the site but its a finer sand and shakes off pretty easy (except from the dog).
Campground Details - ANASTASIA SP, FL - Florida Department of Environmental Protection

Of all the Florida State parks that we have stayed at that have beaches (Gulf or Atlantic), Anastasia has been the least beach crowded.

Bobby
Old 01-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It looks like we may spend some significant time in Florida in the summer again. While Walt Disney World will be our main attraction, I'm back to wanting some beach time. We got only a week this past year and I'm jonesing. I think I'd like to either take a short week (Mon-Fri) or a long weekend (Fri-Mon) and spend the ridiculous money that beachfront camping is.

I think my ideal is a sandy hell that is directly beachfront. There are 2, maybe 3, places that I know of:

1) Camp Gulf - Destin, Florida's CAMP GULF RV Park & Campground; seems expensive and cozy. Their beach front sites don't have sewer, but they do offer a honey pot service for a fee.

2) Red Coconut - Florida Beachfront RV Resort | Waterfront RV Sites | Fort Myers Beach RV Resort | Beach Rental Homes | Red Coconut RV Park |; seems slightly less expensive.

3) Fort Desoto - Pinellas County, Florida, Park and Conservation Resources - Camping Information; I can't find this on Google Maps to look at satellite views nor can I really tell if/what the beach is like directly off of the sites. How is the water here? And, it's a state park- so getting a reservation may be tricky.

I get that #1 and #2 are going to be packed in like sardines. Reading RV Park Reviews, it even sounds like Red Coconut somehow parks your rig *for* you. I'm not sure how enthusiastic about that I am.

I definitely want a beach experience with waves for playing in (boogie boarding/body surfing). I'm good for either Atlantic or Gulf (though, all that I've posted so far has been gulf).

I'll be in Clermont, FL (near Orlando) but don't mind traveling to our destination.

Any thoughts?
My campsite at Ft. DeSoto!. Just took the pic today........its paradise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0116151048-01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	68517  
Old 01-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #17

In the Panhandle area check out Navarre Fl area Also Mexico Beach / Port St Joe and Cape San Blas------maybe even Apalachacola (oyster capital)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #18

You might get lucky with a 3-4 day stay at one of the state parks. Research dates on Reserveamerica.com. Look at Gamble Rogers, Sebastian Inlet or do internet search for Florida beachfront campgrounds. Campsitephotos.com is great for seeing pictures of individual campsites. Beverly Beach has very narrow sites up on a seawall overlooking the beach. It is a very nice place as long as you expect narrow sites. Have fun!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
My campsite at Ft. DeSoto!. Just took the pic today........its paradise.
I'll be there with you next week. Can't wait!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #20

Florida beaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It looks like we may spend some significant time in Florida in the summer again. While Walt Disney World will be our main attraction, I'm back to wanting some beach time. We got only a week this past year and I'm jonesing. I think I'd like to either take a short week (Mon-Fri) or a long weekend (Fri-Mon) and spend the ridiculous money that beachfront camping is.

I think my ideal is a sandy hell that is directly beachfront. There are 2, maybe 3, places that I know of:

1) Camp Gulf - Destin, Florida's CAMP GULF RV Park & Campground; seems expensive and cozy. Their beach front sites don't have sewer, but they do offer a honey pot service for a fee.

2) Red Coconut - Florida Beachfront RV Resort | Waterfront RV Sites | Fort Myers Beach RV Resort | Beach Rental Homes | Red Coconut RV Park |; seems slightly less expensive.

3) Fort Desoto - Pinellas County, Florida, Park and Conservation Resources - Camping Information; I can't find this on Google Maps to look at satellite views nor can I really tell if/what the beach is like directly off of the sites. How is the water here? And, it's a state park- so getting a reservation may be tricky.

I get that #1 and #2 are going to be packed in like sardines. Reading RV Park Reviews, it even sounds like Red Coconut somehow parks your rig *for* you. I'm not sure how enthusiastic about that I am.

I definitely want a beach experience with waves for playing in (boogie boarding/body surfing). I'm good for either Atlantic or Gulf (though, all that I've posted so far has been gulf).

I'll be in Clermont, FL (near Orlando) but don't mind traveling to our destination.

Any thoughts?
Fort de Soto is amazing but it will be hard to get in their campground especially for a weekend. We managed 10 days but had to move after 6.

Fort Myers beach is beautiful...Red Coconut Florida Beachfront RV Resort | Waterfront RV Sites | Fort Myers Beach RV Resort | Beach Rental Homes | Red Coconut RV Park |

We follow the dog beaches! Jupiter Beach is gorgeous (east coast) and I believe there are campgrounds close by. We have not stayed at either because we like leash free beaches when possible. Have fun. We are staying for 3 months this year and right now are in Port St. Lucie for Walton Rocks Beach - off leash so not the best place unless you have a dog