Old 01-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Florida - *on* the beach

It looks like we may spend some significant time in Florida in the summer again. While Walt Disney World will be our main attraction, I'm back to wanting some beach time. We got only a week this past year and I'm jonesing. I think I'd like to either take a short week (Mon-Fri) or a long weekend (Fri-Mon) and spend the ridiculous money that beachfront camping is.

I think my ideal is a sandy hell that is directly beachfront. There are 2, maybe 3, places that I know of:

1) Camp Gulf - Destin, Florida's CAMP GULF RV Park & Campground; seems expensive and cozy. Their beach front sites don't have sewer, but they do offer a honey pot service for a fee.

2) Red Coconut - Florida Beachfront RV Resort | Waterfront RV Sites | Fort Myers Beach RV Resort | Beach Rental Homes | Red Coconut RV Park |; seems slightly less expensive.

3) Fort Desoto - Pinellas County, Florida, Park and Conservation Resources - Camping Information; I can't find this on Google Maps to look at satellite views nor can I really tell if/what the beach is like directly off of the sites. How is the water here? And, it's a state park- so getting a reservation may be tricky.

I get that #1 and #2 are going to be packed in like sardines. Reading RV Park Reviews, it even sounds like Red Coconut somehow parks your rig *for* you. I'm not sure how enthusiastic about that I am.

I definitely want a beach experience with waves for playing in (boogie boarding/body surfing). I'm good for either Atlantic or Gulf (though, all that I've posted so far has been gulf).

I'll be in Clermont, FL (near Orlando) but don't mind traveling to our destination.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Here's one in St Augustine if you want some Atlantic action:
http://www.brynmawroceanresort.com/

2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The Red Coconut only parks TTs not 5ers. We've stayed there multiple times and is a favorite for the kids, because they can walk or take the trolley everywhere. The beach side is nice, but you are packed in and there are only a dozen or so sites that are actually next to the beach. We like the "Park" side better. Short walk to beach, less sand (if you can believe that), and slightly bigger sites. They are very good at helping you navigate through the park and getting you into your site though! I was within inches of trailers, cars, and trees.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

You might look at Anastasia Island at St. Augustine. I believe it is a Florida state park and located right on the beach.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The Red Coconut only parks TTs not 5ers. We've stayed there multiple times and is a favorite for the kids, because they can walk or take the trolley everywhere. The beach side is nice, but you are packed in and there are only a dozen or so sites that are actually next to the beach. We like the "Park" side better. Short walk to beach, less sand (if you can believe that), and slightly bigger sites. They are very good at helping you navigate through the park and getting you into your site though! I was within inches of trailers, cars, and trees.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like it could be tricky to get around.

But I really like the sand-filled hell concept of being right on the beach.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Here's one in St Augustine if you want some Atlantic action:
http://www.brynmawroceanresort.com/

Thanks, MeepMeep. I'll take a look, but a quick glance- I'm hopeful to not have dunes and walking paths. We'll see, though!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #7

#3 Ft. Desoto
You can make reservations up to 6 months in advance. There is no camping on the beach. The campground is located a mile or so from the beach.
Beaches are very nice but the water is greenish to brownish. Not nearly as clear as further south beginning in the Sarasota area.
No sewer at Desoto if that matters to you. We camp there usually 2-3x/year including the week of Thanksgiving.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5oh View Post
#3 Ft. Desoto
You can make reservations up to 6 months in advance. There is no camping on the beach. The campground is located a mile or so from the beach.
Beaches are very nice but the water is greenish to brownish. Not nearly as clear as further south beginning in the Sarasota area.
No sewer at Desoto if that matters to you. We camp there usually 2-3x/year including the week of Thanksgiving.
Ok, I did wonder about the beach thing with DeSoto. I don't mind going without sewer since we're looking at it being a shorter trip. Heck, it's just one less thing for me to setup and tear down.

But, I'm not enthusiastic about the 1mi to the beach. I got spoiled in Key West with our site having a boat dock and being able to walk out and swim.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #9

Red Coconut is nice. We stayed on the "ocean" side and there is virtually no chance of getting a site right on the beach as they are reserved about a year in advance. We stayed one row back and it was actually better, only a 50ft walk to the beach. Yes they parked my TT for me using a tractor, but I could have done it just as easy. There were people there with mammoth diesel pushers as well as huge 5ers and they had no problems navigating through. If you want waves/boogie boarding remember that the gulf side has virtually no waves........Beverly Beach Camptown is a better choice for waves. Just north of Flagler beach and right on the ocean. You could also look into Sebastian Inlet State Park....
Old 01-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
Red Coconut is nice. We stayed on the "ocean" side and there is virtually no chance of getting a site right on the beach as they are reserved about a year in advance. We stayed one row back and it was actually better, only a 50ft walk to the beach. Yes they parked my TT for me using a tractor, but I could have done it just as easy. There were people there with mammoth diesel pushers as well as huge 5ers and they had no problems navigating through.
Thanks for the info. My plan is to call somewhere and basically tell them I want 3-4 nights at anytime over a 6-week period and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
If you want waves/boogie boarding remember that the gulf side has virtually no waves........Beverly Beach Camptown is a better choice for waves. Just north of Flagler beach and right on the ocean. You could also look into Sebastian Inlet State Park....
I did include that comment about my beach expectations because I've never been to the gulf. The virtually no waves makes me sad.