Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

Florida RV Parks

Just returned from a 9000KM trip to Grand Praire Alberta and now need a break .Plan to go to Florida for 2 months Jan and Feb. Never RVed in Florida so picking a park is difficult.Plan to stay south of Orlando and maybe on the coast. Would appreciate opinions on best parks that people have stayed at .Dont want to make a mistake and have 2 months of disappointment. Thanks
hguld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

You will find plenty of campgrounds in Florida.
You just have to figure how much you want to spend for a months stay plus electric and that should narrow things down a bit.

The coast is nice but I like Tampa area or the Kissimmee area being less crowded but still you have plenty to see and do within a short distance.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The east coast may be under repair come Jan., depending on what Matthew does.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

I have lived on Gulf side 10 years now. Port Richey area. RV park I live at is called 3 Lakes RV Resort. Owned by Sun Resorts. Real nice park. Lotts activities. Really big cement pads and lotts. They have daily, weekly,monthly, annual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0531.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	563.4 KB
ID:	122210  
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

As Iggy said it all depends on location. Generally the further south the more expensive. The weather south is generally a little better so the price is more. We are in Fort Myers at Cypress Trail. A 4 year old park it's A a great location and lots to do in the area.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

Having gone to FL for the past 5 winters, I have found that space is very limited for any long stays at any of the parks. We generally stay south of tampa at state parks, but they have a 14 night limit. At this late date you would be hard pressed to find anything longer then 3 or 4 nights at a time at an open spot. FL state parks are usually around $30/night give or take. Get to that reservation system thru reserveamerica.com

The panhandle parks, while cool in Jan, and Feb are probably your best bet for finding longer stays. The nice thing about them is they have some of the nicest beaches that are nearly deserted in the winter. St. Joseph Peninsula SP and St. George Island SP are two of my favorites. The sun does shine in the panhandle, but it also gets a Canadian clipper air mass for a few days and temps get into the 30's at night and 40-50 during the day.

Getting close to the gulf side beaches I would think would be nearly impossible, as those spots are booked solid 11 months in advance. Looking for something inland, say an hour or so from the coast would be easier to find. Something like Highland Hammock SP in Sebring, FL.

Some National campgrounds administered by Corps of Engineers or National Forest or National Parks are available, but about 1/2 of those have no electric. The ones that I have been to is Midway Campground (electric) in the Everglades, and W D Franklin (electric) near Ft Myers, (Alva). Get to the reservation search through recreation.gov... take a genny and your choices open further.

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote