Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
Stufremont

Florida to Ellicott City Md via Atlanta

We are about to leave SW Florida for NH. We know the northern part of the route well( above Maryland) but we are taking a new route north via I 75 Ocala area (Ross Prairie St Pk) , and Atlanta area, (High Falls St Pk), I75 to I 85 Kings Mt St Pk S.C. . Then off to Charlotte and I77 North to I81 (Staunton Va,) then to Patapsco Valley St Pk in Ellicott City ,Maryland. Does anyone have any feedback on that route?
1 over active Lab-Plays 24/7
Stufremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #2

We live just 3 miles from that
Ellicott City State Park. Not a bad park. and i drove that route to Atlanta last year, though I was not towing. Not bad but 81 has alot of truck traffic, and it is hilly.
How are you planning to get to Ellicott city from 81?
I66 and then around DC, 95 to Baltimore then route 40? Depending on the time of day you hit these cities, that can be terrible. Or are you planning on cutting across around Charles Town WV to Ellicott city? That is hilly and some two lane country roads on that route, but you would avoid DC and that stretch of 95 between dc and Baltimore. You would still have to deal with the Baltimore beltway as I am thinking you are heading up 95 when you leave Patapsco.?? But if you leave late enough, the Baltimore beltway may not be to bad.
I would be tempted to stay on 81 into PA and hook up with 95 somewhere up north of MD. There is Greenbrier state park fairly close to 81 and easy to get to. It is just south of Hagerstown on I70. That way you avoid DC and Baltimore altogether.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

I would also suggest trying to miss the DC mess, I stay on 81 to 70 then drop down to 695, I do think it is longer but far less stress depending on time of day, good luck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Stufremont

Route from Staunton Va to Ellicott City

We were planning on I81 to Va rt 7 ( Winchester Va) to US 340 to I 70 into Ellicott City
Old 04-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stufremont View Post
We are about to leave SW Florida for NH. We know the northern part of the route well( above Maryland) but we are taking a new route north via I 75 Ocala area (Ross Prairie St Pk) , and Atlanta area, (High Falls St Pk), I75 to I 85 Kings Mt St Pk S.C. . Then off to Charlotte and I77 North to I81 (Staunton Va,) then to Patapsco Valley St Pk in Ellicott City ,Maryland. Does anyone have any feedback on that route?
It is about 200 miles further than taking I-95 out of Florida, plus you have to go through some of Atlanta, which I avoid like the plague.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
We were planning on I81 to Va rt 7 ( Winchester Va) to US 340 to I 70 into Ellicott City
That is the Charles town route I mentioned, they have built a bypass, so you don't go through that town now. Not a bad drive but does have some two lane roads and hilly around Harper's Ferry. Not sure if that is quicker than going on up to Hagerstown and getting on 70 there and coming into Ellicott city. I have done both and prefer the Hagerstown route as it is interstate the whole way and avoids the hilly roads of the Winchester route.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

We drive the route from Orlando through Atlanta to Nashville a few times a year, including just last month. Always do I-75 but traffic can be a real bear, regardless of time or day. At one point this trip, we want 18 miles in 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon and that was NOT in Atlanta! No accidents or construction, just traffic. As much as I hate I-95, I would have to say the other writer is right about it. Since you're coming from SW FLorida, my suggestion would be I-75 to Lake City, the I-10 to Jax and hit I-95 there.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

Huge construction project on I-75 south of Atlanta. It was just south bound but they are now beginning the north bound side. The only way I would attempt Atlanta is the wee hours of the night. I live just south of Atlanta and don't drive there towing or not. Courtesy is not allowed in Atlanta it's every man for himself.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

Patapsco Valley St Pk in Ellicott City ,Maryland

You can take I 95 to I 26 to Columbia SC to I 77 to I 81 to Hagerstown MD to I 70 to Baltimore to exit 87A to Patapsco Valley St Pk in Ellicott City ,Maryland.
Rick-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-s View Post
...I 81 to Hagerstown MD to I 70 to Baltimore to exit 87A to Patapsco Valley St Pk in Ellicott City ,Maryland.
This is the only part of the drive that I'm familiar with and is how I'd approach if I was coming from the west-side.

Time your drive coming out I-70 after 9:30 or 10:00am and try to be finished prior to 3pm.

Patapsco is just down the road from where I lived. I never camped there as they had very few sites for my 42' fifth wheel. And it's still a fairly urban area. I've hiked there, though.

What are you in town for? Do you want sight-seeing recommendations?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #11

Every single time I am on I-95 I am in stop and go traffic for HOURS. This weekend, coming back to Sykesville, MD from Cape Hatteras Sunday afternoon I hit stop and go in Richmond and didn't get out of it until I hit the RT 29 exit from the DC beltway in MD. I am at the point now where I will be using that HIGHWAY avoidance option in Garmin.

Marty
2016 Rockwood 2703WS
2011 Ford F150 EB
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #12

Helicopter RVs with living. Or travel at night. Sight seeing not so good
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #13

This last trip going to Fla.(March 27th) we went through Atlanta on a Sunday morning at 7am and sailed right through on I75.And return trip did the same thing on April 3rd only in the late afternoon.Last year we took the outer belt and that was a mistake to say the least!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #14
Stufremont

We're in Ellicott City visiting Daughter an grand kids. We're pretty familiar with the area, but have never been to this state park.Both kids go to Burleigh Manor Middle school.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
We're in Ellicott City visiting Daughter an grand kids. We're pretty familiar with the area, butt have never been to this state park.
It is a nice enough park though not one of my favorites of the MD state parks. It is a strip of woods between the river and the suburbs. But certainly close to everything. The bath house is decent if a little dated. I will assume you have an electric site? The inner camping circle has the electric sites and has the bath house in the center of it. The outer circle is tenting sites, so the tenters have to come through to the bath house. They are good about using the designated trails but if your site is next to one of the trails, there can be alot if foot traffic going by your picnic table. Sites are fairly level and firewood is for sale at the host sites. The thing we enjoyed most was there are lot of deer and if the campground is quiet, they come through the sites.
At least when coming in from the West ad you are planning on, you don't have to worry about going under route 40 to get to the park gate, it is a low underpass.