Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Florida to Michigan - Tips?

Will be leaving north central Florida on Saturday for the trip back to Michigan (just south of Port Huron). Have heard a lot of stories about the I-75 issues in Tennessee and don't know if that is clear yet. Also, any tips from anyone who has any other knowledge of I-75 problems is appreciated.

I would like to avoid some of I-75 anyway and was thinking about going across I-10 and cutting up through Alabama, eventually catching I-65 and taking that to Louisville and cutting back over to I-75. How is the bridge work around Louisville? Have heard some horror stories about that area also.

Tips, suggestions??

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 (Sterling) Auto w/built trans, 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

75 is fine. Went through at 60 mph 2 days ago (mid-day) at the slide area. No problem
Old 04-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #3

Thanks!

Did you happen to take I-75 through Georgia? Curious about the Atlanta area and best times, routes, etc.

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 (Sterling) Auto w/built trans, 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

Sorry, only was on 75 from exit 117 (south of Rocky Top, TN) to Cincinnati.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc53 View Post
I would like to avoid some of I-75 anyway and was thinking about going across I-10 and cutting up through Alabama, eventually catching I-65 and taking that to Louisville and cutting back over to I-75. How is the bridge work around Louisville? Have heard some horror stories about that area also.

Tips, suggestions??
We make this trip all the time (DW's elderly mom is in MI and we visit frequently)

I suggest you cut over at the I75/ I10W interchange just south of Atlanta. Take I10W to I65N - be aware that I65 construction is ongoing in Birmingham; just do not transit during commute hours. Even with the construction it beats taking I75 through Atlanta

Take I65N. You will have some construction from @ Bowling Green to Louisville but it is not bad nor does it ever (in our experience) back up.

Recommend you stay on I65 to Indianapolis and then catch I465E to I69N.

Now, depending on where you are going in MI, you can either take US24E-I475-I75N @ Toledo (if you are going to lower MI)

If, like us, you are going to go above Detroit, we take I69N to I94E and then route yourself accordingly depending on where in MI you need to go.

Hope this helps!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Retired Techie

Quote:
Will be leaving north central Florida on Saturday for the trip back to Michigan (just south of Port Huron). Have heard a lot of stories about the I-75 issues in Tennessee and don't know if that is clear yet. Also, any tips from anyone who has any other knowledge of I-75 problems is appreciated.

Tips, suggestions??
Made the trip two weeks ago. 98 to Perry North to I 10 West to I 65 to I 69 in Indy to I96 near Lansing. Construction south of Louisville was rough but 60mph. Took East Bypass in Louisville. Bridge no problem. I actually took some back roads from Tallahassee to near Montgomery to avoid backtracking from Mobile but I like back roads.
2013 Keystone Springdale 5r Sold
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
2016 Camping 148 days so far Bought park model and moved to Florida.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #7

Have you heard of the Waze app? It's a free app that uses peoples' real time experiences to route the quickest way somewhere using networking. You can either contribute information about traffic and conditions or you could coattail only, which is what we plan on using from NW Indiana to Disney World and many points in between. I've never used it but it should be able to route you around any trouble spots. Maybe others who've actually used the app can correct me if I'm wrong/contribute more info...Hawk
Hawk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk777 View Post
Have you heard of the Waze app? It's a free app that uses peoples' real time experiences to route the quickest way somewhere using networking. You can either contribute information about traffic and conditions or you could coattail only, which is what we plan on using from NW Indiana to Disney World and many points in between. I've never used it but it should be able to route you around any trouble spots. Maybe others who've actually used the app can correct me if I'm wrong/contribute more info...Hawk
Hi Hawk!

Waze is a goto app for the both of us! Whoever is driving, drives and the co-pilot has Waze up on their iPhone - it is a GREAT app to see what's ahead on the road you are traveling on.

As a routing app...not so much.

What we recommend here is the Garmin RV760 with live traffic update. This GPS unit WILL route you around trouble spots (I think the Rand McNally one will too, but I have never used it so I am not positive).
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Waze works great. I personally would be just as concerned with Nashville traffic as I would Atlanta. Atlanta is all about the time of day you go through. Last time through, it wasn't Atlanta that was the problem, it was I75 between Macon and Atlanta that was the problem. Just time your route! I have Dayton, OH to Ft Myers down to a science.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

Avoid Atlanta if you can. Construction on the south side and traffic is always a challenge any time of day except the wee hours of the morning. Even then you may run into construction. That's when they do the big stuff to avoid traffic problems. Doesn't work.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:

Tips, suggestions??
Drove thru Atlanta on Wed. 4-20 @ 11:00 am had no problems stopped at Gatlinburg for 3 nights continued north to Ohio only problem was bridge repair at mile 122 about a 45min backup.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #12

Was in Cincinnati yesterday and it is a mess. The downtown has construction both ways, down to two lanes north bound. Construction starts just north of the 75 bridge and continues. Recommend taking 275 east around. For northbound, taking 275 west requires a backed up get off at 75 north with the off ramp and the get on ramp crossing each other. The engineer who created that mess should be shot!
Dayton has construction also where 75 passes over downtown. If heading north, after passing mall area, get in middle lane and stay there. Right lane eventually closed. Parts of the highway are extremely rough. Once north of downtown area, all lanes open up again.
75 north of Troy, OH, right hand lane is closed.
For us, best time to get through Atlanta is after 7 in the evening or before 4 in the morning. Still traffic but not as bad as rush hour.
Have a safe trip. Weather looks be clear for the weekend.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There is construction on 75 in Cincy, but if not during rush hour or travel on a weekend, you should be fine. Do it all the time. Follow Treelady's advice through Dayton (center lane). North of Troy there is bridge construction, but 2 lanes are open north and south (split lane north), this I do everyday and never a backup.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
There is construction on 75 in Cincy, but if not during rush hour or travel on a weekend, you should be fine. Do it all the time. Follow Treelady's advice through Dayton (center lane). North of Troy there is bridge construction, but 2 lanes are open north and south (split lane north), this I do everyday and never a backup.
I don't wish that drive on anyone. Been there done that but not with a TT.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote