Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Berkshire 390QS

Florida toll roads

planning trip in Florida and understand there are several toll roads. Are the expensive, easy to pay etc? Will be traveling in HM with toad.

Thanks

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

I have been through a few of them around the Tampa Bay area...they were at the Big Skyway bridge going across. A few years ago it was only a dollar to go across. A few in the downtown area of Tampa..just a few quarters.. I know they have several in the Orlando area. I was in our car though...No toll roads going down I-75 from the north to Tampa etc. As long as you are on the interstates, no problem from what I have experienced. I think a keyword is Turnpike.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
planning trip in Florida and understand there are several toll roads. Are the expensive, easy to pay etc? Will be traveling in HM with toad.

Thanks

Skip
Depends on your route. I4, I10, I75 & I95 are all toll free, the tolls are expensive as far as I'm concerned which has been only for short distances.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #4

On the east side of the state from Jax (I95) on down there are no toll roads. Maybe when you get to Miami. Anytime you get around Orlando you'll be lucky not to hit a toll, they're everwhere. I was in Tampa a few years ago and about a month after I got back I received a bill for driving on a toll road for $9. I didn't even remember getting on a toll road, but sure enough there was a picture of my truck on that road. I guess you have to look real close to see the toll road signs.

If you have an Atlas it will show the toll roads.

Edit: Here's a toll road map. http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tool...p_image004.gif
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
https://www.oocea.com/ that is the link to the Orlando and Orange County Toll Authority. Most of the toll booths have both EPASS lanes and pay as you go lanes. How long you going to be in Fla? THe tolls can be pricey depends on the roads. If you are going to be here for a long time I would recommend getting an EPASS Transponder. It is usuable on most if not all the toll roads in Fla. Also EPASS users get a break on some tolls.

If there are specific areas you are going to let me know either here or private message and I will tell you what I know.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

I4 from Daytona thru Orlando to Tampa is toll free. The Florida Turnpike which runs from Leesburg to west of Orlando to Miami is expensive, but every where we've run into it the last 5 yrs, it is well marked at the entrances at least around the Kissimmee area where we've camped the last 5 winters. We avoid it after getting on it once or twice.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #7

All of the Toll roads in the Orlando/Sanford Greater metro area are well marked. I4, I75, and I95 are not toll roads. The Florida Turnpike starts in Wildwood near Ocala and cuts across the state and then runs parrell to I95 down to Miami. So you have a choice of I95 or tolls I will pay the tolls any day. I95 is a nightmare a lot of the times with wrecks and backups.

Lived in FLA for 19 years
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #8

Last year when we left the Orlando area headed north towards Pensacola we were hit with $20.00 in tolls. Not sure how far it was but it seemed a little steep.....BUT.....I also live in Oklahoma...The land of toll roads going out of Tulsa.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #9

As a FL resident I can confirm previous posts stating that All interstate highways are toll free. Most toll roads are either cross town in major cities (i e Tampa, Orlando) or turnpike from Orlando to Miami).

They can be avoided with other options. Most FL residents have a transponder to record tolls. The problem for visitors is that some have toll booths and take $$$ and some don't. If no booth, vehicles are charged with transponder or by picture of license tag resulting in bill by mail.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #10

If at all possible plan your route around them. sure it may take and extra 15-30 min., but you will save alot and get better mileage driving at a slower speed.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #11

If you are going to be in Fla. for extended period of time and want to use the toll roads I would suggest getting a transponder. You have to keep an balance of $55 on it but it doesnt expire. You can get SunPass or EPASS and they are good on all the toll roads in Fla. you can get it ordered via the EPASS website. https://www.oocea.com/

or you can stick with the surface roads and Intersate. Personal choice.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I have the Florida "SunPass" sticker for the truck. SunPass is interchangeable with Epass but is accepted on ALL Florida toll roads.

ALL toll roads and toll bridges require either the SunPass or you pay by "Toll-By-Plate." They photo your tag and mail you a bill (PLUS a "handling fee") The combined bill is mailed out once a month to your registration address.

If you are south for months (like we were) you will be past due by the time you get home and likely to get stopped as a "toll dodger."

https://www.sunpass.com/index

All-Electronic Open Road Tolling

All-Electronic Open Road Tolling
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #13

I called a customer servive rep for the https://www.sunpass.com/index system at 888-TOLL FLA (888-865-5352). Within next 2 years all tolls in FL will be electronic with no $$$ taken at any toll booth in the state. The SUNNPASS system works over the entire state even though there are multiple entities.

All billing will be either:
  • Transponder (cost $25) No need to pre-pay untill needed.
  • Mini-Sticker (cost $4.99 + preload $10. Then receive $14.99 credit toward tolls... basically FREE; amounts then deducted.
  • License Plate/Mail. Receive bill in the mail every 30 days. After 60 days if no payment... added $25/transaction charge. After 90 days if no payment, amount goes to each separate county gov't and fines may apply.
Suggested for out of state visitors to comply and minimize cost:
  • Travel trailer vehicles (TV's) purchase the mini-stickers ($4.99)
  • RV/Motorhomes pulling extra vehicles (TOADS) purchase a transponder ($25). It' more expensive but it's portable; meaning it can be switched b/t both vehicles. If you went with 2 mini-stickers, you would be charged 2x every time you go thru a toll booth pulling the extra vehicle. These have electronic chips.
  • Pre-load with minimum $10 and tie to credit card to automatically replenish in $10 increments when balance goes below $10 or call customer service if balance goes to zero.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote