Old 05-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Floyd Bennett Field - NPS in NYC

Ok, so the reviews on Campendium are killing me. Has anyone on this forum stayed here?

https://www.campendium.com/floyd-bennett-field

$30 + gas for the generator vs. $110/night of Liberty Harbor ... but, will I die? (Heck, at either?!)

I was hoping to stay 1-2 weeks in August or September to explore NYC.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

sorry, just read your post. floyd bennett field is a bit far from manhattan additionally, there is very limited transportation. no trains or subways. It would start with a city bus to a subway and about 45 min into manhattan. Parking your truck would cost you an arm and a leg (parking garages, summonses and tow fees for parking illegally. I believe liberty park has a ferry service to and from manhattan. There is nothing around at floyd bennett field you are in the middle of nowhere in new york city go figure. sorry for the bad news any other questions just ask

Wilber2484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Ok, so transportation might make the extra $80/night worth it.

My wife is trying to put the cabbash on NYC plans. We’ll see who wins- I do all scheduling!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #4

Good luck, my wife usually wins.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilber2484 View Post
sorry, just read your post. floyd bennett field is a bit far from manhattan additionally, there is very limited transportation. no trains or subways. It would start with a city bus to a subway and about 45 min into manhattan. Parking your truck would cost you an arm and a leg (parking garages, summonses and tow fees for parking illegally. I believe liberty park has a ferry service to and from manhattan. There is nothing around at floyd bennett field you are in the middle of nowhere in new york city go figure. sorry for the bad news any other questions just ask
Are you kidding or what Wilber2484. It may seem a bit far from Manhattan, but you can drive to anyone of a dozen safe neighborhoods within 15 minutes, park on residential streets, and take a subway into Manhattan. or you can really see the sights of brooklyn, queens, a and staten island. I can list a weeks worth of things to do within a 15-20 minute ride of Floyd Bennett Field. Traveling in such a big metropolis does take some time, but that is part of the allure of NYC.
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #6

And Oh BTW I believe that on weekends and Holidays there is ferry service to Manhattan. Not sure of the cost and probably takes the better part of an Hour, but you will have some great sites of the NY harbor and the Narrows
Old 06-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney View Post
And Oh BTW I believe that on weekends and Holidays there is ferry service to Manhattan. Not sure of the cost and probably takes the better part of an Hour, but you will have some great sites of the NY harbor and the Narrows
Any concern about parking a long bed/crew cab/dually somewhere for public transportation?

That's the only part that concerns me. I am pretty decent at parking and can even parallel park it if push comes to shove. We've done other cities (DC, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles) but for some reason, NYC intimidates me.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Any concern about parking a long bed/crew cab/dually somewhere for public transportation?

That's the only part that concerns me. I am pretty decent at parking and can even parallel park it if push comes to shove. We've done other cities (DC, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles) but for some reason, NYC intimidates me.
you should be able to find someplace, but you will have to parallel park. no question about that, unless you find a supermarket with a parking lot. there will be less spots for big cars, and that is just a fact of life.
What you should be concerned about is getting to Floyd Bennett Field, as you will have to travel through the streets of Brooklyn to get to it. The only highway close to it is the Belt Parkway, and height limitations on that is 9'6" I think
Old 06-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

NYC trip

Mr coney. i did not say that there was nothing to do in the area or say it was unsafe. What i said was parking in NYC is not a joke. The city will tow you if you are parked illegally and the fines will not be cheap not to mention a city tow. By the description of ependydad rv/rig parking a full size possibly dually pickup on a NYC street will not be easy if not impossible. However, by the spelling of your name coney you may be from Bklyn. It is a nice place coney Island, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Parkslope and the Bklyn promenade over looking the lower manhattan its all beautiful. But parking will wreck the trip. Also the allure of sitting in traffic on my vacation is not appealing to me. As you can tell i am from New York and when i go on vacation i have to leave between 10 pm and 5 am to get around the traffic and the rough roadways for my safety. Be safe when traveling.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #10

ependydad, DO NOT GET ON ANY PARKWAYS. the Belt Parkway is for cars passenger cars only. additionally, when youuse the bridges use the UPPER LEVEL on Verrizano or George Washington bridges to get into the city. DO NOT USE ANY TUNNELS with your TT there are propane restrictions. Most local city street should be ok just watch for the elevated subway tracks in all boroughs. Additionally, just about EVERY weekend in the summer there is a parade or some event that will close some city streets. Leave plenty of time. The city is a great place to visit just not drive. Do not miss the World Trade Center area. It has come a long way. Time Square, Central Park, Bronx Zoo, the Bklyn Flea, Juniors cheesecakes, Chinatown, Little Italy. Just wander on foot or mass transit its great.