Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
Wait till next year...

Foliage report

Went thru northern New England last week staying at Winnipesaukee,NH last weekend onto Franconia Notch,NH across to St Johnsbury,VT and ending in Morrisville,VT. Very nice color all through the northern most regions above the White Mountains and Green mountains. Crawford Notch had some color and so did the Kancamagus but the best was northern Vermont on Rtes 2 and 15. Coming home 91 going south the majority of trees hadnt turned yet
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

This was last weekend in central Mn.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	610.1 KB
ID:	122538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	710.3 KB
ID:	122539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	706.3 KB
ID:	122540
M & A Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Went thru northern New England last week staying at Winnipesaukee,NH last weekend onto Franconia Notch,NH across to St Johnsbury,VT and ending in Morrisville,VT. Very nice color all through the northern most regions above the White Mountains and Green mountains. Crawford Notch had some color and so did the Kancamagus but the best was northern Vermont on Rtes 2 and 15. Coming home 91 going south the majority of trees hadnt turned yet
You just made a run thru my front and back yards, hope you enjoyed the visit. I'm north of Franconia Notch, just outside of St. Johnsbury, VT. Did the Kank Ride 2 weeks ago on the bike, not much color then but came on all at once ~ rains last night put most of the color on the ground in this area by today. Color is now more south, closer to White River Junction. In the low 40's now, in the low 30's for us tomorrow night. I think 2 wheel season is done for this area for a while ~
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #4

last week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5380.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	122553  
Old 10-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

yesterday
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF5398.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	122554  
Old 10-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

We are arriving at Lyndonville on Thursday, hoping to see some color, but it sounds like the peak is over due to the rain? We still have Friday unplanned, perhaps go south to Green Mountain? Any recommendations?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
We are arriving at Lyndonville on Thursday, hoping to see some color, but it sounds like the peak is over due to the rain? We still have Friday unplanned, perhaps go south to Green Mountain? Any recommendations?
Not much left in this area for color, some really distant reds but mostly yellows is it. Was in the 50's today with a constant breeze, headed into the 20's tonight! Sorry, there isn't a 'Green Mountain' ~ it's the Green Mountain Range which runs north & south in Vermont and the White Mountain Range which runs east & west about mid-ways down the state. This is what we saw looking across towards NH today and Franconia Notch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF5450.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	122620  
Old 10-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

A week ago we stayed in lake George this weekend Afton ny car races
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476144524.984649.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  111.2 KB
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
A week ago we stayed in lake George this weekend Afton ny car racesAttachment 122629
I hear ya ~ on the news today was chat about color just starting in the Adirondacks. Anyone down around Ticonderoga, NY ~ the Crown Point NY State Camp Ground is a beautiful spot and right on the water.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #10

Just came back from staying 5 nights in North Conway and three nights in Scarbourgh and the color was at its peak .
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #11
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Not much left in this area for color, some really distant reds but mostly yellows is it. Was in the 50's today with a constant breeze, headed into the 20's tonight! Sorry, there isn't a 'Green Mountain' ~ it's the Green Mountain Range which runs north & south in Vermont and the White Mountain Range which runs east & west about mid-ways down the state. This is what we saw looking across towards NH today and Franconia Notch.
I got your PM too. Thanks a lot! Let me get your help here if you don't mind so others may benefit from your information. We are flying into Boston on Wednesday. Our initial plan is go to White Mountain, explore Kancamagus Hwy, then Franconia Notch, and spend Thursday night at Lyndonville. We have already booked one night at Wild Flower Inn at Lyndonville that is non refundable, so we have committed to Lyndonville. But we can visit any anywhere during the day for color, especially on Friday. We are flying out of Boston on Saturday around noon. So I hope on Friday we find a place no more than 3 hours drive from Logan airport. That's why I mentioned Green Mountain.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
I got your PM too. Thanks a lot! Let me get your help here if you don't mind so others may benefit from your information. We are flying into Boston on Wednesday. Our initial plan is go to White Mountain, explore Kancamagus Hwy, then Franconia Notch, and spend Thursday night at Lyndonville. We have already booked one night at Wild Flower Inn at Lyndonville that is non refundable, so we have committed to Lyndonville. But we can visit any anywhere during the day for color, especially on Friday. We are flying out of Boston on Saturday around noon. So I hope on Friday we find a place no more than 3 hours drive from Logan airport. That's why I mentioned Green Mountain.
Morning Jeff & campingbaba ~ As you noticed, campingbaba mentioned he had just stayed in North Conway, NH and Scarborough, (Maine?) for the past 5 days and color was at it's peak. For us, that is very understandable as the world seems to change just on the other side of the 'hill' as we travel south or southwest. The Kangamangus, Mount Washington and all the scenic areas read about are in New Hampshire. As you travel from Boston on Interstate 93 north, you will be coming thru a lot of color as you approach Franconia Notch State Park. Keep an eye on the road signs and your map as you can alternate your travel very easily to see many things. I-93, I-89 and I-91 are the only interstates. Lyndonville is just north of St. Johnsbury on I-91 north. Most of VT & NH State Routes and side roads were and still are main traveled since most areas can't be reached directly from the interstates. Be aware that these side roads and 2 lane State Routes are also traveled by ALL vehicular traffic, from farm tractors to loaded logging semi's & 18 wheelers.
Temp. dropped to 27*F here last night, and as I mentioned earlier.. our colors north of Franconia Notch and east of Montpelier are just about all on the ground with a few good spots left. Also mentioned in your PM, there isn't a Green Mountain or White Mountain .. those are names of the mountain ranges in VT & NH. The Presidential Range is another area of which Mt. Washington is part of. Hope you manage to enjoy your brief visit and get to see as much as possible. (Don't forget a good jacket as the temp drops after sunset). The last photo I posted was looking southwest from Littleton, NH which is north of Franconia Notch right off I-93.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Looks like we're gonna be foliage chasers.
According to Vermont Fall Foliage Scenic Drives, Sightseeing Tours, their best bets as of a few days ago:
- Northeast Kingdom Byway from St. Johnsbury to Newport and Jay.
- Route 242 from Montgomery to Jay.
- Route 302 through Orange, Groton & Ryegate.
- The Gap Roads: Routes 4, 17, 125 and 73 west from Route 100.
- Route 2 north of Montpelier.
- Route 100 through south-central Vermont.
- Route 9 from Brattleboro to Bennington.

I wonder if south Vermont will be in peak or over later this week?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
Wait till next year...

Last nite was a cold nite 32 here in southern Mass colder up north. Should be generating some color in the southern areas while here make sure you stock up on hot mulled cider,chedda' cheese and maple suyrup
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Looks like we're gonna be foliage chasers.
According to Vermont Fall Foliage Scenic Drives, Sightseeing Tours, their best bets as of a few days ago:
- Northeast Kingdom Byway from St. Johnsbury to Newport and Jay.
- Route 242 from Montgomery to Jay.
- Route 302 through Orange, Groton & Ryegate.
- The Gap Roads: Routes 4, 17, 125 and 73 west from Route 100.
- Route 2 north of Montpelier.
- Route 100 through south-central Vermont.
- Route 9 from Brattleboro to Bennington.

I wonder if south Vermont will be in peak or over later this week?
If you're going to attempt to 'chase the colors', I wouldn't waste time headed toward Newport (toward Canada). Try RT2 toward Montpelier, stay along the western side of VT toward Bennington (will be south but higher elevation), then back down toward Brattleboro. This way would be a 'loop'. Just sayin' ~ the vacation is yours to enjoy and hope you do.

The old Vermonters have a saying ~ "Ya can't get theya from heeya". (translated - you can't get there from here)
Meaning ~ no direct route, always a round-about journey.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #16

Beautiful fall leaves all around me...love this time of year.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Beautiful fall leaves all around me...love this time of year.
Other than riding the bike with the DW, this is by far my most favorite time of the year. Nice day temps and most of the bugs are gone. Made the trip down to Groton, CT last Saturday, your colors were just starting.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #18
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Sitting on airplane right now and just can't wait to get to foliage land. Thanks for tips!
Heard it's gonna rain tomorrow :-(
Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #19

use this app. www.intellicast.net
All local information anywhere in U.S.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #20

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476309114.287519.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	122817
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote