Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

Full-timers and addresses

Hi all- My husband and I are planning on selling our house and full-timing it for a year or so. Is there anyone out there who can give me some direction as to what they did about an address, and how you handle the info for insurance companies, etc? I can pretty much have all my bills sent via email so no worries there, it's just having a state to call home, and an address that bugs me for insurance purposes. Any info would be helpful.

Thank you,

Cyndi
Vibe 268RKS
F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Cyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

It's been my experience that you will need some "physical" presence...for driver's license, insurance, "home state" etc. Sometimes a UPS store will provide the street address and a box # - that's been known to work.
2016251RKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Always Learning

You basically have to use a mailing service- Escapees has one, and then there are a few others- MyRVMail.com and St. Brendan's Isle (www.sbimailservice.com) plus many others. OR, you can even use a UPS store or the like.

The one you pick will effect your cost of insurance AND, depending on the state, what insurance is available to you; so shop around.

I picked St. Brendan's because for a small upgrade monthly, I can have them scan up to 40 items. I started with them in mid-January and literally haven't had mail sent to me because I just keep having them scan stuff.

For insurance, you need a full-timers policy. There are a few places that offer it- Progressive Insurance, RVMillerInsurance.com, and RVInsurancePro.com (the latter 2 are brokers). I use RV Miller Insurance and have my actual policies through National Interstate.

For health insurance, I have no idea. I'm salaried and its part of my benefits. I know a lot of people have gone down the Healthcare.gov route.

I'm in the process of working through vehicle registration changes, getting a Florida policy, and getting my Florida driver's license.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You basically have to use a mailing service- Escapees has one, and then there are a few others- MyRVMail.com and St. Brendan's Isle (www.sbimailservice.com) plus many others. OR, you can even use a UPS store or the like.

The one you pick will effect your cost of insurance AND, depending on the state, what insurance is available to you; so shop around.

I picked St. Brendan's because for a small upgrade monthly, I can have them scan up to 40 items. I started with them in mid-January and literally haven't had mail sent to me because I just keep having them scan stuff.

For insurance, you need a full-timers policy. There are a few places that offer it- Progressive Insurance, RVMillerInsurance.com, and RVInsurancePro.com (the latter 2 are brokers). I use RV Miller Insurance and have my actual policies through National Interstate.

For health insurance, I have no idea. I'm salaried and its part of my benefits. I know a lot of people have gone down the Healthcare.gov route.

I'm in the process of working through vehicle registration changes, getting a Florida policy, and getting my Florida driver's license.
Thank you very much! Appreciate the info! I didn't realize you could get fulltimers RV insurance- I wonder if that extends to the truck?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi View Post
Thank you very much! Appreciate the info! I didn't realize you could get fulltimers RV insurance- I wonder if that extends to the truck?
How do you mean? I did pull my truck insurance under National Interstate - but that was more just to keep with one company.

But nothing's really different with it now that I'm fulltime vs. before when I was a weekend traveler.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

I live in Florida, but Florida is nice because there is no state income tax. Just one other thing to consider as a resident in a particular state. At least think about it when making your selection.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #7

I thought you had to have insurance for your vehicle in whatever state it was registered in, because of the taxes, rules, etc. for different states. I guess if the insurance company is aware that you are full-timing, it is ok? That's the biggest hang up I have.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
I thought you had to have insurance for your vehicle in whatever state it was registered in, because of the taxes, rules, etc. for different states. I guess if the insurance company is aware that you are full-timing, it is ok? That's the biggest hang up I have.

So it gets a little iffy with the whole registered vs. garaged in. But basically- yes, I will have Florida tags and Florida insurance on the truck. The brokers help with that.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #9

Ok great!! Thank you very much! This info helps a lot!!

Safe travels!

Cyndi
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #10

We use https://www.goodsammailservice.com/ They gave us an address which we changed our license, car registration, voting, banking, etc to. They forward our mail to wherever we are when we ask for it.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
If you get a mail service based in Florida- you register, tag, and insure your car in Florida at the address provided by the mail service.

www.kels4g.com
Old 04-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #12

Thank you! All this info helps a lot! Appreciate it very much!

Cyndi
Vibe 268RKS
F1503.5 Eco-boost
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

I just use a family members address. I can trust them to open something if need be. Like you said, most of the important stuff is on line.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you! All this info helps a lot! Appreciate it very much!

Cyndi
Vibe 268RKS
F1503.5 Eco-boost
It's confusing at first but once you get it all settled- it's awesome!

www.kels4g.com
Old 04-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #15

Michigan has it's own set of rules, like all others. Your tt is treated as a trailer and trailer registrations don't expire, no annual renewal. The no-fault car insurance makes your tt insurance more like your home insurance, not required if it's clear but no benefits either except tow vehicles liability. PPO's can alter your health coverage when you go outside your range of services. Hope you have good agent who can advise.
Congratulations on retirements, Interesting thread on services
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #16

Thank you Updhaul