Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #1

Garden State Parkway 8'6" ???

So I spent about 4 hours surfing the web trying to figure out if I could take my rig down the length of the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey and after finding nothing but conflicting information I finally just emailed the NJ Turnpike Authority.

Here is their reply:

Hello,
Vehicles with trailers may not exceed an overall combined size of 55’ length, 8’ width, and 13 ½’ height.
Sue Michalczyk
Constituent Services
732-750-5300 Ext. 8756
smichalczyk@turnpike.state.nj.us

Which as my rig is 8'6" would mean no.....Anyone taken an 8'6" class A down the GSP??? I'm figuring the limiting factor is likely the toll booths. How wide are trucks with mirrors towing 5ers?
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
10Isola

I don't believe trucks are allowed on the Parkway on at least the northern section. I've always wondered as well. I noticed the other day a sign up around ext 130 that said no trucks. However I have seen trucks along the southern shore points from the AC expwy south.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #3

That is one of the confusion points, for that road RVs are not considered trucks and are allowed. Justr trying to figure out if the 8' thing is enforced or if it just makes the toll boothes tight.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #4

Parkway

I live roughly 140 feet from the GSP and travel on it 10's of 1000's mile a year...

I'm unsure if an 8'6'' beam is abnormal for motor homes however I see motor homes going up and down the parkway each and every day.. Tons of them...

So if 8'6'' is standard I'm certain you will be fine. Most of the tolls now are high speed if you have EZpass, so you are not constricted going through a toll booth as well....

Maybe it helps maybe not... Towing an 8ft beam never seems to be too bad...
btmfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #5

Mirrors are not included in DOT width measurements.
OldMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Do not do it. I'm from California, had NO clue what a Parkway was. Still confussed. I got on a Parkway in Conneticut last month and had people telling me to get off, some where extremly rude, yelling at me, etc. Finally a female cop had pulled someone over ahead of us. She stopped giving the ticket and ran out into the road and jumped on my trucks running boards and started yelling at me to get off immedialty at the next exit. She was extremly rude. I asked what are you so upset about. "If I was upset I would be giving you a ticket right now." "Now get off" Me: "Calm down, I will get off at the next exit" She was a B***th with NO tolerence for an out of state traveller, who made an honest mistake. Seriously, she acted like I was a terrorist, driving my RV with a load of fertilizer. So just don't do it. NJ wannabees who want to show they are are on a power trip will be all over you. Just my opionion.
Cswnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Jpc

Parkways in NY and Conn. Don't allow trailers or rv's of any type.

Nj parkway allows those vehicles.
Jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #8

Good rule of thumb, (but not necessarilly law in all states) If you have an RV of any type stay off all North Eastern Parkways.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim View Post
So I spent about 4 hours surfing the web trying to figure out if I could take my rig down the length of the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey and after finding nothing but conflicting information I finally just emailed the NJ Turnpike Authority.
Best way to avoid the problem? BYPASS the whole state of New Jersey completely!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #10

In Texas RV's are only allowed to be 8' wide. A number of them, like big MHs are 8' 6", so what do they do when they register then? They list them as 8'! I have never heard of anyone having a problem. There are lots of them registered at the Excapees in Livingston.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

R/V's are an exception for traveling the parkway north of exit 105. If you want, print out the statute and carry it with you in case you get an unaware Trooper. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the 96" wide rule. The statute again pertains to construction/ commercial equipment and requires the company/operator to obtain permission and a permit for such travel.

19:8-1.9(b)15
All vehicles except cars, campers, omnibuses, and vehicles entitled to toll-free passage under N.J.A.C. 19:8-3.2 (Toll-free passage) are prohibited from the Parkway north of Interchange 105.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #12

You were probably on the Wilbur Cross or Merritt Parkway.

What is allowed to travel on the Merritt Parkway?

The following are prohibited from entry upon and use of the highway right-of-way of those limited access state highways designated as parkways:
(a) commercial motor vehicles;
(b) trailers;
(c) all towed vehicles except as provided in
Section 14-298-240;
(d) buses;
(e) hearses when part of a procession or cortege;
(f) vehicles bearing other than passenger, camper, taxicab, vanpool or hearse registrations and those vehicles bearing combination registrations which have a gross weight in excess of seventy-five hundred pounds;
(g) vehicles whose dimensions, including any load, exceed one of the following:
length – twenty-four feet
width - seven feet, six inches
height – eight feet
ABNBMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #13

You are lucky you didn't hit an overpass... Parkways in new york have some seriously low overpasses. I have seen down to 9'-6". When a truck hits those they have to shut down the parkway and the roadway crossing over, and an engineer has to certify that the structural integrity wasn't comprimised due to the impact. The parkways were built for people in cars to drive to the parks/beaches. Robert Moses, a prominent planner designed several parkways on Long Island specifically to filter only the affluent middle class by designing roadways that would prevent trucks and busses from transporting in the less fortunate at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cswnow View Post
Do not do it. I'm from California, had NO clue what a Parkway was. Still confussed. I got on a Parkway in Conneticut last month and had people telling me to get off, some where extremly rude, yelling at me, etc. Finally a female cop had pulled someone over ahead of us. She stopped giving the ticket and ran out into the road and jumped on my trucks running boards and started yelling at me to get off immedialty at the next exit. She was extremly rude. I asked what are you so upset about. "If I was upset I would be giving you a ticket right now." "Now get off" Me: "Calm down, I will get off at the next exit" She was a B***th with NO tolerence for an out of state traveller, who made an honest mistake. Seriously, she acted like I was a terrorist, driving my RV with a load of fertilizer. So just don't do it. NJ wannabees who want to show they are are on a power trip will be all over you. Just my opionion.
fschambe is offline   Reply With Quote