Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #21
Speedcat, i have heard numerous rave reviews of the Big South Fork area. I need to get there. Yes, they are slated to charge $4 per person per night. Supposedly it will be a superior real time online reservation system and 1 or 2 back country rangers will be paid out of it. I have mixed views on this as I do like user fees but I think it is kind of steep and if I take my family I am looking at $20 per night which is relatively steep compared to a front country campsite. I have done all but Bullhead to LeConte and my favorite two trail option is the Alum Cave and Boulevard options mixing a stay in at Icewater too. 3 Februarys ago we crossed the Boulevard during an approaching front. We get to the summit of LeConte and the winds were howling at 65 mph with a light snow. It was amazing to be there during a winter storm. I need to get up there this summer and enjoy a light light pack for once (lol)....

Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #22

I did Bullhead once and won't do it again...very rocky! Hard to image a 65pmh wind coming accross The Boulevard and LeConte...that would be hairy! I am mixed about the shelter fees. I am not sure it will help with overcrowding/overbooking unless the backcountry rangers check reservations. The Big South Fork is not crowded. It's a big horseback destination for trail riders but all trails are seperate...very nice..I have also RV'd at Bandy Creek Campground. It is very nice and can be found on the Federal Campground site..the only downside is that it does not have sewer hookup.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
2008 Ford F350 King Ranch CC DRW 6.4l, 4.10 diff
B&W companion
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote