Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Campgrounds

I'm looking for some recommendations on campgrounds in the Pigeon Forge TN area. We have 2 small kids so it needs to be very kid/family oriented.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

North Carolina
DC_In_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
We took our son, daughter-in-law, and 3 grandsons to Gatlinburg last summer. The kids had a great time. We stayed at Jellystone Park on Hooper Hwy. It's a small campground, but with lots for kids to do. It was about a 15-20 minute drive into Gatlinburg, depending on traffic. The park is family owned and they were all very nice and helpful. Our site was next to the stream. There is a swimming pool, and a game room, which we used every evening. The kids enjoyed karaoke at night. The whole place is graveled, so they couldn't use the scooters they had brought along. There were big shade trees everywhere. The distance from town was both a plus and a minus. I liked being able to get away from all of the traffic and congestion in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, but on the other hand, every time we wanted to go anywhere, it took forever!

Bev, James, and Lucy the Camp Dog
2013 Salem 30QBSS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab
bjjohnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
When driving thru from Alabama to Virginia, we stopped for an overnight at Two Rivers Landing RV Resort. It was a unique experience and I'll admit, curiosity and the label "luxury" got me to spend the extra $20 over the other place we came across. Luxury was defined as fully paved sites and road. There was only (guessing) 30 or so sites. There was a playground and pool there. Their bathhouses were truly the nicest I've ever seen.

There didn't seem to be many/any activities, but we got in late and left the next morning. They were friendly enough in the phone and left our check-in information taped to the door since we got in after-hours.

p.s. no trees. This of a business park w/ a bunch of highly landscaped driveways.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
You will have plenty of options to chose from. Most of the RV parks will be full hookups in the Pigeon Forge area. Is there anything specific you are looking for in a spot?
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
Helmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
I've stayed at Jellystone...but it was a few yrs ago. at that time, we would drive into gatlinburg and park at the post office/transit terminal. then we would use public transportation. it really beat fighting the traffic.
i believe we were told to take 40 east and just before it went thru the mountains to NC, take wares valley exit to gatlinburg. (i may have the exit wrong). worked out great. came in from the east traffic. there are a number of campgrounds that u will pass on that road. for kids, jellystone is a good choice.

the first time, i stayed at eagle's nest in pigon forge. fought the parking lot discised as a highway on the way in.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
I highly recomend the Jellystone in Cosby TN. very nice place and the owners are exceptional. check it out on RV Park Reviews.
02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
We like the River Plantation that is located on the left as you are coming into Pigeon Forge. It is right on the river and plenty of level parking as well as asphalt on the outside loop of the camp ground for the scooter and bikes.
old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
We've stayed at both Yogi Bear near Cosby and Smoky Bear in the same area. Both are great campgrounds. Here's a link to reviews of some of them in and around Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
RV Park Reviews :: Gatlinburg, Tennessee ( TN ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
tnpopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Try camping in Great Smoky Mountains National Park at Elkmont or Cades Cove or over in Cosby. I grew up camping in our national parks in a pop up. I know it is not for everyone, but camping in the woods is special and your kids will love it. We camp in national parks with our kids and one of my kids is severely disabled. I highly suggest the park campgrounds
Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
I would recommend you make the fifteen mile drive down 321 out of Pigeon Forge to Townsend, TN. There are several campgrounds there with lots for kids to do. The Little River runs right through most of the campgrounds. It is stocked with trout, so you don't have to be an excellent fly fisherman to catch trout. During the warm months, people tube down the river. There are several places up and down the strip in Townsend that rent tubes all day for like 8 or 9 bucks and that includes a shuttle back up to put in again. Our kids love that.

We like Tremont Outdoor Resort, however it is a bit pricy and they enforce their rules pretty well. Our kids love it there, though.

Big Meadow is really nice, but not very shady.

The Townsend KOA is very kid-friendly. They have an outdoor theatre where they show movies in the evenings and all sorts of kid activities.

The town of Townsend is not developed like Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, but is very near to each of those without the crowds. We usually stay in Townsend at least three or four times a year. There is a bike trail that runs the entire length of Townsend if you take your bicycles along when you camp. Seriously, Townsend is the bomb for camping in the Smokies. Fifteen minutes through Wear's Valley on 321 and you're right in the middle of Pigeon Forge. That's close enough for me.

Mike in Tennessee
Former 2 time FR owner
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30QB Fifth Wheel
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote