Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Gatlinburg/Pigon Forge

We'd like to go camping in the Smokey Mountains, but having a hard time narrowing down to a campground. For those that have been, where have you stayed and would you stay there again?

Kristina & Family
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds
'13 Honda Pilot -Kar Kaddy 3

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 29
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
We stayed at the Pigeon Forge KOA, and would never spend a dime there again, it's a Long story. We have stayed at lots of KOA's and will stay at them anytime, but not this one, KOA's main office even refunded our money over our stay at that place. Stay away.

The Family Truckster Team:
Michael & Belinda
mg0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Twin Creek Resort in Gatlinburg is very nice. Family owned and operated. They stay very much to their policies on pets, trailer (ie motorcycle parking), etc. We'd definitely go back.

Twin Creek RV Resort | RV Camping Tennessee | Recreational Vehicle Camping Tennessee | Gatlinburg RV Camping | Smoky Mountains Recreational Vehicle Camping |

Here's a video that another camper made. Shows alot of the park from his perspective.

Pete and Patty
2010 Georgetown 378TS; 2012 4dr Jeep Rubicon
1 Yellow Lab (hers);1 Little Bitty dog (mine)
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
That is very nice and the first place that popped up on my bing search.
Kristina & Family
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds
'13 Honda Pilot -Kar Kaddy 3

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 29
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
It's been a number of years since I camped here, but it really is "camping in the Smokys!"

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Cades Cove (U.S. National Park Service)

Camped here twice, once in my tent and once in my pop-up. Of course, this is/was dry camping/boondocking...('s been a while!)

John & Nicole
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Check out Pine Mountian. It is right in the heart of Piegon Forge. Don't get alarmed it was so quiet there other than knowing you are in town, you would think you were really in the country. Its just one block off the main drag and pretty much centrally located. Very nice and actually has a trolly stop so you don't even have to use your TV to get around. When we go back we'll be staying there. We have stayed a River Plantation and it is also very nice.
slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
River Plantation in Sevierville. Check the map on website. We stayed at site 402 next to river. The north end of cg is not too shady but the south end is. The wifi leaves much to be desired. You can always go up on the hill next to motel and connect.
Spent a week there and it was great. We checked several cg's and RP has the most roomiest sites.
06 Rockwood 8285SS
97 Z71 Chev
Firestone Air Rides(thanksYouroo)
2010-33 nites
2011-41 nites and growing
2012-29 with more to come
kscr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Dry camping in the park...Elkmont. With hookups....Townsend Great Smokies KOA in Townsend TN...that says it all.
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Stayed at several, but last Nov we stayed at (up the creek ), A new place just opened. GREAT !!!!!
tommyowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
I live in the Smokies and I can not suggest any private campgrounds because I have never camped at one. I have several suggestions, but I also have a few questions which if you answer for yourself it will give you a better idea on where you want to stay.

The Smokies cover 2 states, NC ( The better state of the two,) and TN. Are you wanting to camp in the woods (boondocking it) and be in the woods and so forth or are you coming the Gatlinburg and just want to be near the strip? These are two different goals completely.

If you are wanting to be in the woods, any of the National Park Campgrounds that accept trailers would work...Cosby and Cataloochee are a bit more remote, but they are peaceful. Cataloochee is in the northeast section of the park and the valley is very pretty. The Park Service reintroduced elk to the Smokies a few years ago and Cataloochee has a nice herd of them now which you can see in the morning and evening hours grazing in the fields.

Big Creek and Abrams Creek are very remote and tent only, but Big Creek has the best darn swimming hole around at Midnight Hole Falls..absolutely gorgeous there.

The NC side of the park you have Smokemont and Deep Creek which offer creeks that are frequented by tubers, especially Deep Creek

At Balsam Mountain the park's highest campground, you are camping at nearly 6,000 feet! In the summer it is cool, no need for AC there at all and is access off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Now if you are going to the Smokies to be in the mountains but really dont need to be near Gatlinburg, I must say there are two really nice gem of campgrounds in the area, Davidson River is in the Pisgah National Forest outside of Brevard and I think US Forest Service campgrounds are boondocking in style as they offer hot showers. Davidson River is a great tubing river and just peaceful there. Then down near Franklin is Standing Indian. It is located along the headwaters of the Nantahala River. Standing Indian is in the Nantahala National Forest. It too is gorgeous, not sure any GSMNP campground can compare to it, even Cades Cove.

On the TN side of the park, Cades Cove is very nice, the cove is a great place to explore and better bring your mountain bikes to ride the loop road there. Elkmont is also very nice and the Little River is a nice tubing river for the kids too.

Private, I have seen many of them, but the one closest to the park near Townsend seems nice from the road. I dont know the name of it, sorry.

We grew up camping in national parks in Jayco pup and summer camping in the Smokies is nice even without AC and power and so forth. I highly recommend it. If you are in need of showers many of the private campgrounds around the park will allow you to pay a small fee to shower.

Gatlinburg is nice, but very crowded and Pigeon Forge, well that is another story all together there.

Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote