Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Georgia Mountains

The wife and I are planning a vacation in September to head north to the Georgia mountains. We have never been to that area and we are looking for suggestions on campgrounds and places to visit.

fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Not sure where you are going . But...
We use to own a membership at Horseshoe trails campground at Mountain Lakes. This is located outside of Helen Georgia in between Helen and Cleveland on Alt 75 I think it is. The place is private, but I think anyone can rent, but not sure of pricing. The place is extremely clean and we'll maintained. We just did not get to go that much so we quit and sold our deed. The sites are small, but they are paved will full hook ups and cable. You cannot hardly get dirty there!
Another place close to there that a friend of mine loves is Vogel State park, it is right outside of Helen. I have been there, but never stayed so I cannot comment on that.
Helen has some fine dining options, not a lot, but some nice ones.
Good luck!

2010 Surveyor 28 BH
2007 Chevy Silverado Classic
4.8 with Bully Dog Gas Tuner and 3.73 gears
Super Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
We live in the NE GA mtn area. Vogel State Park is more north of Helen located in Union County south of Blairsville. We haven't camped there but have used the park for day use. Lake, trails, playground for the kids. Close to the Appalachian Trail. A couple of other parks in Union Co - Mountain View RV Resort. We stayed here just last week as we were on our way home when a heavy storm came through & we could not get up our road. They are Passport America so it was quite reasonable with the discount. Very nice, level concrete pads. Beautiful setting. They are selling the sites but the owners do not give a sales pitch. CG is easy access & much to do in the area. No cable. Another park in Union Co is Trackrock. This is a camp for a getaway. There is also a horse stable here. Lots of locals like to use this cg. Beautiful setting. They are also PA.
Towns Co has a great Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds cg located on Lake Chatuge. Very convenient & again lots of locals due to the lake access & events at the fairgrounds.
NE GA - beautiful especially spring, summer & the colors of fall!
Traveling with my DH in our 2014 Georgetown 378, our 3 cats, Katrina, Pas and Missi
Following us, 2014 Jeep Patriot
3CatsTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Georgia State Parks are nice., several in North Georgia Mountains
cpurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
We stayed at Trackrock a few years ago. It is near Blairsville. Very nice and the sites are very spread out.
Trackrock Campground and Cabins
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 33 nights camped; 5 nights booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
You have 4 state parks in Northeast Georgia. Vogel State Park is 8 miles south of Blairsville on Hwy 129--tough drive from the south. Black Mountain State Park is mountain top in the far NE--south of Dillard and north of Clayton. Moccassin Bend State Park is a small, quiet campground waterfront on Lake Burton--west of Clayton. There's just 6 miles of 2 lane hwy. from Atlanta to Clayton.

Unicoi State Park is 2 miles NE of Helen. The membership campground, Unicoi Springs Camp Resort, will give you two free nights mid week in their five star resort. Helen has good restaurants, water parks and $5 tubing on the Chattahoochee.

Many go all the way to Western NC and East TN to the mountains. Northeast Georgia is absolutely breathtaking, and the place has a great atmosphere.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Spent a good bit of time in north Georgia. You almost can't go wrong with Georgia State Parks or Corps of Engineer Parks albeit you forgo the full hookup. In the central part of NG, Vogel is good and Trackrock is good. In the western part Cloundland Canyon, Fort Mountain, and Doll Mountain. In the eastern part Moccasin Creek State Park, Tallulah Gorge, and Blackrock Mountain.Blackrock Mountain is a fairly steep climb and I think is limited to 25 ft RV length.
There are plenty of private campgrounds just check up out.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #8
Camper Less Camping
If you like to explore/hike, especially for waterfalls and mt can't beat NE GA area.
Black Rock Mt SP and River Vista campground are two good choices in this area

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Look and join this maybe? Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
Per the above,lots of Info,and its FREE!! Youroo!!

youroo is online now   Reply With Quote