Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #21

We hit Atlanta at 6:30PM last Friday, and except for a couple stop-and-go's, we motored right through. I had worse traffic in Nashville, and several miles south of Atlanta.
As for the Forsyth KOA, I'd prefer to never stay there again.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #22
Plain Old Member

We've towed or drove every one of our rigs through Atlanta when going to Stone Mountain. But, that's the only reason we'll go through it, or even near it, Stone Mountain. My wife always acted as the spotter to keep from clobbering too many people. We've usually always had quite a large rig, so if they won't move, we'll try to make them move. No doubt, it is nerve racking going through Atlanta.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #23

If you can avoid rush hour driving around Atlanta isn't much different than any other highway. 285 around Atlanta is usually a more consistent option than straight through town but honestly the 675 merge south of town is the crap shoot. USA today awarded it the second most unpredictable stretch of highway in America.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #24

Getting Thru Hell

Best time to hit Atlanta and drive straight thru is any time after mid-night, during the daytime pulling an RV, no time is good. Early morning between mid-night and four am......I-285, forget it at anytime. I habe lived here since 75' and have driven the coach's most everwhere around Atlanta.....Getting in one lane an d living there is still the best bet...kickster

QUOTE=JohnIII;626128]Ok, I've researched this from the internet to friends (including those that live or had lived in Atlanta) to my father. I cannot get a straight answer. If indeed we hit Atlanta at rush hour this Friday, do I take I75 straight through or I285 West? I've heard some horror stories about 285, but I've also heard we'll crawl through downtown if we stay on 75. We have a reservation at the Forsyth KOA that night. Then it's an easy drive to FW from there.

My goal is to pick a lane and stay out of the way. We're going to try and delay a little and hopefully get on the tail end of things. Thanks guys![/QUOTE]
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #25

If you are taking 75 down thru Tennessee... In Knoxville move to I-40 East and go thru the mountains to I-26 east which is close to Ashville NC and about 200 miles south you will get to I-95. The route is nicer and you wont hit that crazy traffic that not only do you get in Atlanta but also just south of Atlanta. We get caught there more than in Atlanta, usually for 2 hours or more. I will go hundreds of miles out of my way to avoid Atlanta. But I26 and I95 are much nicer routes.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

2 kids, 2 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter, 3 fur babies
Lifetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
We hit Atlanta at 6:30PM last Friday, and except for a couple stop-and-go's, we motored right through. I had worse traffic in Nashville, and several miles south of Atlanta.
As for the Forsyth KOA, I'd prefer to never stay there again.
Agree with not staying at the KOA campground! Lots of reasons. Overpriced, road noise, ratty old permanent rigs, dirt lots, not level. We used to live about 15 miles south.

For anyone wanting to stay in the area drive a little further south to Macon and go to Lake Tobesofkee, Claystone Park. Ask for lots 40, 41, 42, 43, or 45. Pull throughs about 80' long and 40ft wide cement pads and full hook up for $25 a night on a bluff overlooking the lake!

If you want to drive a 20 to 40 miles south of Macon there are a couple of nice parks. Fair Harbor in Perry, GA or about 9 miles south of Perry GA is Twin Oaks. Both are nice parks with easy access from I-75. As of last year both parks accepted passport.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #27

Having driven I-75, I-285 and I-20 for around twenty five years commuting to work, I can say from experience that both 75 and 285 can be tough. Friday afternoon rush hour starts earlier than the rest of the work week and tends to be heavier. If I had to choose between the two, however, I would take 75 down to 285 and bypass midtown.

Both I-75 and I-85 merge together just north of midtown and then split off again just south of the city which causes a huge bottleneck and backs everything up really bad. I-285 is not too much better, but there are fewer lane shifts and although you may still move slow, you wont see near the number "lane jockeys" as I like to call them. You can pretty much just pick a lane and stay put and push through.

I know that there have been suggestions both ways, but whichever you choose, just be patient and ride it out. Good luck and have a great trip!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #28
Disney camper

Getting through Atlanta at rush hour

The wider lanes of 285 west will be worth not taking the camper thru the downtown trek be may be an hour longer. Plan for the white knuckles either way. If you want, Indian creek state park is off 75 at griffin just south of Atlanta on US16.
Ft wilderness is a great campground.

Joel
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #29

I found that if I put my rig in the hov lane it goes pretty good. I have a 38 ' Georgetown and if you have 2 or more passengers you can run the hov lane. I also pull a ford flex on a dolly. No problem!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #30

My secret route: take the. Glade rd exit at acworth. Follow Hwy 92 to Hwy 16 to Griffin. Get back on 75 there. Even if you have to backtrack you'll be cook
Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #31

We've been Atlanta residents for a couple of decades and have pulled through the city many times. If there is any way, don't go either route after 2pm. If you must, be very patient. Jams south of the city can tie you up for hours. Tune in AM750 for the best traffic reports. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
DDC

When we go through Atlanta we use the HOV lanes, keeps moving pretty steady, wasn't sure about doing this at first but I looked up the rules and could not see any restrictions on towing.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #33

I lived in the Atlanta area for 11 years. Traffic is why I moved to Alabama. Driving in any large city is unnerving for us no longer used to traveling in hectic places.

#1--Listen to AM750 for their great traffic reports.
#2--going south on I-75 in rush hour--take I-285 (Birmingham signs) around the west side of the city. Then follow "Macon" signs. You'll pickup I-75 South after passing the airport. I-75 south of the city can also be busy until 7:00 p.m.
#3--go straight through the city on I-75 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. or after 7:00 p.m. unless AM750 mentions a wreck on "The Connector" downtown.

Going thru Alabama or going through South Carolina are not good alternatives--too far out of the way.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
4:30pm on a Friday would not be a fun drive. That's the get out of town day. If you are going to be around Atlanta that time of day I would wait a couple more hours. There's a Pilot Truck Stop the next exit south of Red Top Mountain exit that may be a good place to wait it out and get fuel. You will still be a couple hours to Forsyth putting you there around 8-8:30. Best bet is to skip your meals and keep on trucking and get to Atlanta no later than 3:30pm.
X2 -- except I would recommend that you be through Atlanta, off 285, and back on 75 by 3:30pm. (I've lived here for 44 years & I never go anywhere during rush hour unless there is no other choice.)

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote