Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #31
We've been Atlanta residents for a couple of decades and have pulled through the city many times. If there is any way, don't go either route after 2pm. If you must, be very patient. Jams south of the city can tie you up for hours. Tune in AM750 for the best traffic reports. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
When we go through Atlanta we use the HOV lanes, keeps moving pretty steady, wasn't sure about doing this at first but I looked up the rules and could not see any restrictions on towing.

"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #33
I lived in the Atlanta area for 11 years. Traffic is why I moved to Alabama. Driving in any large city is unnerving for us no longer used to traveling in hectic places.

#1--Listen to AM750 for their great traffic reports.
#2--going south on I-75 in rush hour--take I-285 (Birmingham signs) around the west side of the city. Then follow "Macon" signs. You'll pickup I-75 South after passing the airport. I-75 south of the city can also be busy until 7:00 p.m.
#3--go straight through the city on I-75 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. or after 7:00 p.m. unless AM750 mentions a wreck on "The Connector" downtown.

Going thru Alabama or going through South Carolina are not good alternatives--too far out of the way.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #34
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
4:30pm on a Friday would not be a fun drive. That's the get out of town day. If you are going to be around Atlanta that time of day I would wait a couple more hours. There's a Pilot Truck Stop the next exit south of Red Top Mountain exit that may be a good place to wait it out and get fuel. You will still be a couple hours to Forsyth putting you there around 8-8:30. Best bet is to skip your meals and keep on trucking and get to Atlanta no later than 3:30pm.
X2 -- except I would recommend that you be through Atlanta, off 285, and back on 75 by 3:30pm. (I've lived here for 44 years & I never go anywhere during rush hour unless there is no other choice.)

"But, oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go." -- The Beatles

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote