Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #31
Camper Less Camping

All this chatter on Disney getting me wanting to get a quick trip in before the end of year BUT got our trip booked at Fort Wilderness for April next year! Let us know how everything goes...Geaux Mickey

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #32
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
All this chatter on Disney getting me wanting to get a quick trip in before the end of year BUT got our trip booked at Fort Wilderness for April next year! Let us know how everything goes...Geaux Mickey
Have you been to Fort Wildnerness Before ? Just wondering if anyone has checked out the "cabins". Would love to take a trip with the trailer, however my vacation time is limited, in order to maximize day in WDW I need to fly. (else consider at least 6 days for travel)

Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #33

We are going a week from today for 4 days! We tend to go around once every year and a half or so. We have 5, 3, and 9month old boys. We normally stay at Fort Wilderness and LOVE it there. It is its own resort! The pool area is great, the kids love the electric lights boat show at night, you can see the fireworks from the beach and they play the same music over the speakers so it is all in sync.

The cabins at Wilderness are not much to look at from the outside. I think they are old single wide trailers that they made look like a cabin. There were a lot of people staying in them, but they are not as close to the pool and things like that depending on what loop you request. We usually stay in one of the preferred loops by the dog park. It is an easy bike ride to the pool in one direction and the beach/restaurant in the other. We have the cups with the free refills and just head over every morning for coffee, tea, etc. and back in the afternoon for soft drinks.

With Disney running their 30% off deal we decided to just stay in a hotel. We are staying at the Pop Century. First time for us staying at a "value" resort but it was 4 stars on Tripadvisor and has great reviews. We upgraded to a preferred room so we dont have as far of a walk to the pools and transportation. We'll only be there 4 days total so it should be fun. Their pools look great at that resort so as long as we are close to the pool we will be happy. The rooms have mini-fridges and free pack-n-play sleepers by request.

BTW - even when going for a week or more we only go to the parks one or two days. We buy 10 day ParkHoppers that dont expire to get the lowest per day rate. They are good forever so we just hold onto them for our next visit. The boys think the monorail, boat and even the buses are just as fun as some of the rides. They love the pools and checking out all the hotels and downtown Disney. We normally go in Nov so all the Christmas decorations are out and they love seeing how each hotel is different. The boys are happy, we are not exhausted from trying to hit everything and we save money.

Oh - one more thing - there is a Disney Outlet store at the Outlet Mall right outside of Disney. Nice place to stop to save on things like t-shirts and other small souvenirs. Boys could care less if their Mickey shirt came from Main St in the Magic Kingdom or that store!
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #34
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
Oh - one more thing - there is a Disney Outlet store at the Outlet Mall right outside of Disney. Nice place to stop to save on things like t-shirts and other small souvenirs. Boys could care less if their Mickey shirt came from Main St in the Magic Kingdom or that store!
Thanks for the tip on Disney Outlet Store. Can you be more specific where it is ??
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
Thanks for the tip on Disney Outlet Store. Can you be more specific where it is ??
Orlando Premium Outlets - Vineland Ave - Designer Outlet Stores & Map

There you go! - its the Disney Character Warehouse

They offer shuttle service from Lake Buena Vista hotels too!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #36
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Orlando Premium Outlets - Vineland Ave - Designer Outlet Stores & Map

There you go! - its the Disney Character Warehouse

They offer shuttle service from Lake Buena Vista hotels too!

Awesome - Thanks. Looks like they are at 8200 Vineland just off International Drive South. We are staying at the World Quest Resort, which is not too far from that location. Just wish there was someone here that could give me an objective opinion on the World Quest Resort.

On a similar topic of resorts. Can anyone comment on the increasing occurences of "bed bug" issues in any or all of the hotels. Just wondering if it is blown out of proportion in Orlando, or if there is a real problem developing.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
Awesome - Thanks. Looks like they are at 8200 Vineland just off International Drive South. We are staying at the World Quest Resort, which is not too far from that location. Just wish there was someone here that could give me an objective opinion on the World Quest Resort.

On a similar topic of resorts. Can anyone comment on the increasing occurences of "bed bug" issues in any or all of the hotels. Just wondering if it is blown out of proportion in Orlando, or if there is a real problem developing.
WorldQuest Orlando Resort (Orlando, FL) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Did you see that? Its ranked 6th out of 330 hotels in Orlando. 4-1/2 stars by reviewer rating with over 900 reviews. With that many positive reviews I think you will be fine! Other sites also review that resort highly. It looks very nice.

No idea on Bed Bugs in FL. We live in SC and dont have any issues.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
No idea on Bed Bugs in FL. We live in SC and dont have any issues.

I guess my concern is generated from some of the "bed bug" incident tracking websites I have come across. Looks like the hotel we are checking into may have had a few problems as per first link I have here.
However it would appear that a number of resorts are experiencing issues as per the 2nd link.

Bed Bug Report for World Quest Resort, Orlando, FL

Reports of Bed Bugs in Orlando Hotels - Orlando, Florida | Raveable.com
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #39
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen

Have you been to Fort Wildnerness Before ? Just wondering if anyone has checked out the "cabins". Would love to take a trip with the trailer, however my vacation time is limited, in order to maximize day in WDW I need to fly. (else consider at least 6 days for travel)
Yes and loved it...cabins are great looking BUT I think a little expensive...for example, we usually go in April to Disney, the Premium campsite is around $125/night after all taxes but the cabins are like $300/night plus taxes.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen

I guess my concern is generated from some of the "bed bug" incident tracking websites I have come across. Looks like the hotel we are checking into may have had a few problems as per first link I have here.
However it would appear that a number of resorts are experiencing issues as per the 2nd link.

Bed Bug Report for World Quest Resort, Orlando, FL

Reports of Bed Bugs in Orlando Hotels - Orlando, Florida | Raveable.com
Bedbugs are a common problem that most of FL hotels have been dealing with for years.
Good establishments are proactive on this problem and have good pest control companies in place to take care of these issues.
So many visitors to the state from all over the world, you gonna get these critters backpacking from place to place. Just be alert to any signs of activity no matter where you stay in the U.S. as bedbugs are found from the most expensive hotels to the cheapest.