Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #71
Camper Less Camping

Great to hear you guys had a great trip!

We'll be there in 3 months...hope you left the place intact!!! LOL

Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #72
Site Team

Glad to hear you had fun. I have been following this thread for ideas as we are going to fort wilderness for our first time in august. My 5 yr old DD just figured it out the other day. Our coded conversations were finally interpreted. She is so excited. We have been showing her pictures and discussing things she may or may not want to do (ie blizzard beach).

Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #73

Sounds perfect! We're reserved for October, but my kids are begging for us to go next month for mid-winter break or spring break. LOL

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #74

I leave in 3 weeks! I am a Vacation Club Member and have been many times it does'nt seem to ever get old lots of great memories there. I will say if the budget allows for it stay inside Disney it's a much different experience from the minute your luggage is taken from your hometown airport (if your flying).
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #75
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
I leave in 3 weeks! I am a Vacation Club Member and have been many times it does'nt seem to ever get old lots of great memories there. I will say if the budget allows for it stay inside Disney it's a much different experience from the minute your luggage is taken from your hometown airport (if your flying).
X2 One of the best purchases we ever made was was the Disney Vacation Club, we use it for Fortwilderness and for our home base which is Saratoga Springs, never tire of disney.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #76
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
I did a lot of research on the Disney Resort Hotels. (my preference would have been to stay inside Disney if it was not cost prohibitive). For my DW and 2 daughters the preference was for a 2 bedroom hotel room. (prefer the girls having their own private room for sleeping). I had a hard time finding any 2 bedroom Disney Resort Hotel rooms - the few I did find were over $350.00 per night compared to where we stayed.

Our 2nd consideration for considering the Disney resort would have been the meal plan, however once again the price for the meal plan seemed quite a bit on the high side compared to our option of staying at a hotel equipped with a kitchen (fridge, stove, dishwasher, pots, pans, dishes and cutlery provided). Shopped at a 24 hour Walmart Superstore the first night we were there and stocked up our kitchen for the whole week.
We did splurge on a "Character Dining Experience" with the Disney Princesses at the Royal Banquet Hall in Epcot, however for the rest of the time we packed our own snacks/food to take into Disney. The park meal prices were quite high (ie: $4.00 for a small popcorn - as opposed to us bringing a tube of pringles for 99 cents). Disney allows you to bring your own food in and dine at any of the outdoor table areas no problem.

One of the advantages of staying at a Disney resort was the free transportation to the parks. We decided to rent a car for $200.00 to give us some flexibility on the times we arrived & left the parks. Overall that worked pretty good - with parking fees of $15.00 per day and gas of $50.00 the transportation cost us about $350.00

Overall though the savings realized by staying just outside of Disney were too much to overlook. The World Quest Resort where we stayed was 1rst class. (1200 square feet of living space - 2 separate bedrooms & 2 separate bathrooms for both us and the kids, jacuzzi tub, swimming pool, continental breakfast....and other ammenities for $100.00 per night.

I calculate that we saved $1,500 by staying at the World Quest an managing our own dining.

Location of the World Quest is excellent as well. Just outside the Disney Resort area - 10 minute drive to Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

Just my 2 cents from our experience.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #77

camped at fort wilderness for 4 months last summer, plan on going back soon.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #78

We are also DVC members and enjoy our stays on property,there is just something special about it. We are planning on the crazy week between Christmas and New Years in a Tree House, done that week before and as crazy as it is we had a great time.
Do try to get to the Fort for a stay sometime you will love it, and if knowone as metioned it before( I might have) check out this sitehttp://www.fortfiends.net/forum/ a lot of great info there.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #79

I've been to Disney many many times and stayed there over the Christmas holidays in 2000/2001 and that was without question the most crowded I have ever seen it. Parks are decorated and it is really nice but once was enough during that time frame for me.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #80
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
I've been to Disney many many times and stayed there over the Christmas holidays in 2000/2001 and that was without question the most crowded I have ever seen it. Parks are decorated and it is really nice but once was enough during that time frame for me.
Funny! We went camping in the Orlando area this past year (2012). I completely agree - it was nice doing the parks at Christmas to see the decorations, but I'm good for the rest of my life to never go back during the Christmas holiday. In fact, we went another time over President's Day (also in 2012) and I'm pretty well set for never hitting another holiday there.