Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

We are leaving the Cincinnati area on the 9th also and plan on getting about 20 miles south of Atlanta to the Cracker. Barrel for the night. I called them and they said we were more than welcome.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

Ringgold is north of Dalton so that may not help. There are KOA's at Calhoun and Cartersville, Leisure Time RV park at Adairsville. The only C.O.E. campground open until spring on Lake Alatoona is McKinny Campground (my favorite). Jim Miller Park in Marietta would be good. That is the North Georgia State Fairgrounds/Cobb County Park that has full hookups for $15, it's a little ways away from I-75 but a good location for shops and restaurants. You want to time your travel thru or around Atlanta for after 9:30am and before 3:00pm to avoid BIG rush hour traffic. They are building Express lanes on I-75 just south of Atlanta so don't even think about going south from Atlanta late afternoons, the work is being done in the median but it is still a mess. Check either Allstays.com or RVparky.com for places to stop and be sure to check RVparkreviews.com also.

Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #13

A new Cabellos Sporting Store twenty five or so miles north of Atlanta has boondocking spots behind the store !
Old 12-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
speakin of apps. i like the AllStays Camp & RV. shows what's around and you can filter to your preferences.
That said, any military affiliation? There's the Navy Lake site on Lake Alatoona! and one at Dobbins AFB as well. Some of those sites a bit challenging to get into, but $14/night is cheap!
X2 on Allstays app. If you're military they have a free app...
Free to everyone but only useful to military.. Thanks for your service to our country.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #15

Thanks a million!

So many great ideas and locations. I downloaded rvparky for my iPad and iPhone, will get DW to dl to her phone also. Nice app, checked a zip code for Marietta and found many of the places this great group has mentioned.

I've had Allstays for a few months but need to get reacquainted with it.

Staying north of Atlanta will allow us to travel through on Sunday morning so I'm hoping traffic will be lighter than workdays. I know there are several overnight places south of Atlanta but I'm not keen to make that transit after dark just to get to those places. If we get there before dark I may go ahead and get Atlanta behind me.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #16

What are you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgky View Post
We are leaving the Cincinnati area on the 9th also and plan on getting about 20 miles south of Atlanta to the Cracker. Barrel for the night. I called them and they said we were more than welcome.
Hello Tomgky, what are you driving? Might see you somewhere along I75. DW wants to leave at 7AM which would put us on 75 about 7:25 or so. If you see a red F450 dually and 40' Brookstone (see my avatar) honk your horn!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #17

Thumbs up

Red Top Mountain State Park is really nice. It's only a mile or two off of I-75 and has beautiful sites and sits on Lake Allatoona. If you call ahead you can probably get one of the sites at the front of the campground that the bigger RV's use that are pull-through and you won't even have to unhitch if you're in a hurry. If not, get one of the sites that are farther back in the campground that is closer to, or one that sits on the lake. Lots of deer and other wildlife and fantastic hiking trails and a nice visitor center. It's less than an hour north of the city with no traffic (which is almost never!)
We live about 20 miles from Red Top and go there when we can only do short trips due to time constraints. We enjoy the park and it always feels like we are far away on a camping trip when we go there because it's far enough north that you are still in the mountains (at least the foothills) and not too far from the city. Nice rangers too!!!
If you're camping I'm sure you will enjoy just about wherever you go. I envy you.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #18

KOA Cartersville would be my suggestion. Nice sites and easy on and off access to I-75. Be aware there is all sorts of construction both north of Atlanta and south of it on I-75. While they may not be working early in the morning the roads are a mess...

RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #19

Battlefield Campground has 50 pull thru sites. Address: 199 KOA Blvd in Ringgold, GA. Listed on Good Sam app. Phone: 7069374166. Looks ez in and out. If you are like us with our 37 ft Silverback, we like EZ 😁. Good luck with your decision and safe travels!

And yes, anywhere on I 275 around Atlanta is PURE HELL unless you travel between midnight and 4am. It was recently rated as one of the MOST DANGEROUS ROADS IN AMERICA. Nice title, eh!

Yes, unfortunately we live here. And yes, the only reason is the grandkids.
We will be in Florida for Feb/March as usual.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #20

McKinney Campground

Not too far from Red Top Mountain State Park is McKinney Campground. It's a Army Corps of Engineer's park. If your over 62 and have Federal Senior Pass the nightly fee is $15, $30 without.

Facility Details - MCKINNEY CAMPGROUND, GA - Recreation.gov

Have a great and safe trip!

Tags
cat, location