Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Smile Good place to stop: July 4 weekend

Hi all, we are about to embark on our 4th camping season with our 2010 Sunseeker 3120DS, and going to take our longest trip yet: a week away in Sunset Beach, SC. Here's my dilemma: we are leaving the weekend before the Fourth of July and probably just need one night at a campground or park with electric. We think - with two elementary-school kids and two crazy dogs - we should break the drive up. Any suggestions for someplace that would let us do one night between southeast PA and there?

I know most sites require 3 days around a holiday, so it might be difficult. I'd prefer someplace with at least 30A electric, as - that time of year - the pavement of a Wallyworld or otherwise may be too hot to stay comfortably without AC.

Thanks to you all, love reading these forums for advice, education and laughs!
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You might have your best shot at a weeknight but the weekend before is not a holiday weekend. What area are you looking to stop?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

I had the same dilemma this year. I ended up making lots of phone calls to campgrounds and was able to work it out. One night stays at each for the three holiday nights. You can do it, start dialing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I had the same dilemma this year. I ended up making lots of phone calls to campgrounds and was able to work it out. One night stays at each for the three holiday nights. You can do it, start dialing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Yup. There are "Destination" campgrounds with lots of amenities, and then there are "Basic" campgrounds that just provide hookups. Look for the latter and you should have luck.

If this is something that may come up a few times during the ownership of your rig, you might consider a generator so you can join the Legion of Wally Dockers. You just might see me there.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynlanning View Post
Hi all, we are about to embark on our 4th camping season with our 2010 Sunseeker 3120DS, and going to take our longest trip yet: a week away in Sunset Beach, SC. Here's my dilemma: we are leaving the weekend before the Fourth of July and probably just need one night at a campground or park with electric. We think - with two elementary-school kids and two crazy dogs - we should break the drive up. Any suggestions for someplace that would let us do one night between southeast PA and there?

Thanks to you all, love reading these forums for advice, education and laughs!
I lived on the SC coast for a while and never recall Sunset Beach SC. I currently live in Ocean Isle Beach NC, about 6 minutes from Sunset Beach NC (3 minutes from the KOA).
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:28 AM   #6

If going down 95 check Carolina Crossroads large campground mostly pull thru and not near anything that would be a holiday destination so good chance for a site. Located near Roanoke Rapids NC
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #7

There is a very nice campground a few miles north of Richmond called Americamps RV Resort. it is just one exit north of where I-95 and I-295 merge north of Richmond. Close to the highway - easy off & on - very nice family atmosphere when we we've been there.
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I lived on the SC coast for a while and never recall Sunset Beach SC. I currently live in Ocean Isle Beach NC, about 6 minutes from Sunset Beach NC (3 minutes from the KOA).
Ugh yes fat fingers. Thinking NC typing SC! We are going to NC!!! Thanks :-)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

Thank you!

Thanks all, I have some great leads through your responses. Hoping to stop halfway - so there are definitely options!

We do have a genset but I'd be afraid to sleep with it on (I'm in the "too cautious" camp!).

Thank you all again. Happy RVing!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynlanning View Post
Ugh yes fat fingers. Thinking NC typing SC! We are going to NC!!! Thanks :-)

If I can help during your stay just let me know. Summer holidays mean the camper stays in storage and the boat at the dock for me so I'll be around.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
Ambassador

Frisco Woods Campground down on Hateras Island in NC

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
Frisco Woods Campground down on Hateras Island in NC
Have enjoyed staying there. A little far off OPs line of travel but nothing like having the sound just 15' from your back bumper.