Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Thanks! As for the tight time schedule, IF there is an issue while picking it up (we will spend the day/night there using everything on the coach as many times over and over as possible) my wife will just fly back home and I'll head home whenever it's fixed.
check for major problems first, i.e all gas appliances, water systems ( make sure they give you a half tank of fresh water, check to see that the hot water heater is not in winterize position. Then run the pump and open valves one at at time to remove air from the system and fill the hot water heater. ( this actually takes about 1/3 tank of fresh water. Then make sure the water heater works on both gas and electric. Ours had a bad electronic ignition module. make sure the Jensen in dash system works. Ours was bad, would cut out on bumps and CD player did not work.

Make sure the slide out works properly and there are no error codes displayed (red flashing light) on the slide out switch.. Operate it yourself because the light can be reset by quickly rocking the switch in the other direction. Our slide out motors were wired in the wrong order and the controller did not like that.

As long as you make sure all the major issues are covered, you can repair the minor ones yourself, I.E screws that will come loose, waste tank valve cover that may pop open. I had to add a piece of plastic to the latch plate for it to work properly.

my you only have minor problems with your new Sunseeker and may you have a safe trip home
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #22

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
You have a third option which to me is the best. Go north, cross Big Mac, tour the U. P. for a few days then go west. I'm sure many will agree.
RIGHT ON !!! raytwntrvlr !!!
But first I would have to talk the DW into crossing the BIG Mac again !!!
For me the big + is I do not have to drive around Chicago !!! LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #24

Update: Thanks for all the tips. We ended up going North out of Grand Rapids and ended up taking the Mackinaw bridge across. This route was also good (in my opinion) for breaking in the motor per the manual, as it made it easier to change speeds VS 70mph on the freeway.

It was a nice drive but we are looking forward to another cross country trip when we have MORE time!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Update: Thanks for all the tips. We ended up going North out of Grand Rapids and ended up taking the Mackinaw bridge across. This route was also good (in my opinion) for breaking in the motor per the manual, as it made it easier to change speeds VS 70mph on the freeway.

It was a nice drive but we are looking forward to another cross country trip when we have MORE time!
Maybe try taking the Ferry next time ???
Old 09-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #26

I think the ferry might be interesting, but I don't think "I" would enjoy the lines/wait/tight quarters; I like to be at the wheel and go where we want, when we want!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #27

Quote:
I think the ferry might be interesting, but I don't think "I" would enjoy the lines/wait/tight quarters; I like to be at the wheel and go where we want, when we want!
I hear ya !!!
My family back in the day used to go hunting in the UP before the Big Mack was built,,, they tell stories of sitting for HOURS waiting for the Ferrys to take them North !!! NOT for me !!!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I hear ya !!!
My family back in the day used to go hunting in the UP before the Big Mack was built,,, they tell stories of sitting for HOURS waiting for the Ferrys to take them North !!! NOT for me !!!
My God,that was 1957 or Before,Move On With Life! Youroo!!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
My God,that was 1957 or Before,Move On With Life! Youroo!!
I did not know it was not ok to think back,,,
I am just glad I can remember to stories !!!
How did you know that 57 was the first I saw the Bridge ???
Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I did not know it was not ok to think back,,,
I am just glad I can remember to stories !!!
How did you know that 57 was the first I saw the Bridge ???
I don't know when You saw the Big Mac! I was saying if your Family was still waiting on the Ferry after 1957 that was their fault,they could have gone over on the Bridge! Youroo!!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:14 AM   #31

Quote:
They let you "Take the Wheel"!It is also Far from "Tight Quarters" aboard the "SS Badger"! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 fall 067.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	119991   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 fall 036.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	119992  
Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #32
Senior Senior Member

I too have fond memories of watching the progress on Big Mac from the Wilderness State Park also camping trips to the UP and riding the car ferry.
I also took my family on the SS Badger going from west to east and we had a ball. We were pulling our pop up and it cost well over $100 but glad we did it.
In our retirement we are discovering many great places but everyone should go get them some Pure Michigan at some time.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #33

Quote:
I don't know when You saw the Big Mac! I was saying if your Family was still waiting on the Ferry after 1957 that was their fault,they could have gone over on the Bridge! Youroo!!
I think there is only one of those family members left,,, the rest of them took the Big Bridge,,, if you know what I mean ???
Old 09-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #34

Quote:
They let you "Take the Wheel"!It is also Far from "Tight Quarters" aboard the "SS Badger"! Youroo!!
I would be afraid some clown would drive our Sunseeker off into Lake Michigan !!!

Tags
washington