Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Grand Rapids WEST to Washington State?

My wife and I are having our first motorhome argument!

We know NOTHING about the Eastern part of the U.S. We are picking up our MH in Grand Rapids MI and then heading back to Washington. She wants to go North from Grand Rapids and take the ferry across and I want to drive South from Grand Rapids and head west.

Any thoughts on which route is better/faster? She thinks the general Chicago area will be a nightmare and I think the ferry will be a hassle.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Senior Member

You have a third option which to me is the best. Go north, cross Big Mac, tour the U. P. for a few days then go west. I'm sure many will agree.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
You have a third option which to me is the best. Go north, cross Big Mac, tour the U. P. for a few days then go west. I'm sure many will agree.
This time of year? It would have my vote!!!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

The timing can never be right for everything and this trip back to pick up our MH is a classic example of that = we are on a time crunch! In fact, there is only one week my wife can make the short trip back with me (then she'd still have to be back at work) Ultimately, the perfect situation would have been to BOTH be retired when we picked it up, and they we'd actually continue on east and see the New England area, but we don't have that luxury this time - within a year, but not now...

If we can't pick it up on that specific week, she'll fly back with me, we'll spend 2 days there and then she'll fly home and I'll drive it back. And LOL, I better not do any sightseeing/RV'ing w/o her!!

Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

You didn't mention whether you had a time frame or not and what you were taking back from Grand Rapids to Washington state. If you're taking a motor home back though, you only have one choice when it comes to a ferry. The SS Badger running out of Ludington, MI. Unfortunately the ferry only runs twice a day, 8:30 AM and 8:30 PM

If you choose the southern route you can bypass Chicago via I-290

The Northern route via the Mackinaw Bridge and Michigan's upper is only 100 miles longer than the southern route, and I can pretty much guarantee a whole lot less stressful.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

X2 on Mackinaw Bridge and taking US2. It's a great route that is very scenic but you can move along pretty well. We did the trip on 2 and loved it but we were in no hurry.

If you are trying to make good time you could drop down from Grand Forks and catch 94 west at Fargo.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Senior Member

Well, too bad time is the constraint. Then you have only one choice, to me. That's 196 to 94, then pick up 80W. When you come around the lake you will actually pass through Indiana after leaving Michigan. If I was doing it I would just stay on the 80W till the 29N and then up to 90W. One short stretch of toll road as you pass through the Chicago area.

BTW... we are heading out Saturday bound for Spokane. We will head north on 29 and pretty much follow the route above.

Safe travels to you.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Senior Senior Member

Well, my computer routing does not agree with me. It pretty much says best route is to pick up the 90/94 when you come through Chicago. Never done that so I can not tell you what to expect. I have come through the Chicago area many times heading west but not northwest. My imperative has always been to get clear of the Chicago traffic ASAP, so that's why I said 80W.

Anyway, please post what you finally end up doing. Especially if you do take the NWly route via the 90/94.

BTW... the ferry option.... very slow and very pricey. But very enjoyable. Done it a few times.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

North to Mackinaw Bridge. US 2 to Duluth,MN (great city to visit) then 210/10 through northern Minnesota to Fargo and get on the interstate.
However, through Chicago is the fastest route due to all 4 lane.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #10

Thanks for all the info everyone! We are bring a motorhome back. IF we get it the day we're hoping and IF we leave to come home the day we hope to, we would be able to absorb that that extra 100 mile route to the north.

It's really a bummer having a time constraint, but that's just life right now - it will be different soon
Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #11

Everything I have read says to avoid Interstate 90 in Montana. It's the roughest ride in the United States.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

Is the area through the Chicago area a nightmare? My wife is concerned we'll be in bumper to bumper traffic and possibly lost in a maze of lanes and exits?

As for coming this way to Spokane = welcome to Washington! We are 180 miles from Spokane, but we really like that area.

Safe travels.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

I've been on 90 thru Montana and I didn't notice it being that bad (in a p/u though) however, Montana was a bit of a nightmare when it came to the amount of deer in the road = early in the morning and towards evening I wouldn't want to be on the road.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #14

Best way or fun way

Certainly the best way if you just want to get back home is the 196 out of Grand Rapids to I-80. But, you are going to have all of that urban traffic very much like going through Olympia, Tacoma and Seattle. Not much fun and few places that you can enjoy Indiana and Illinois. Having been raised in Michigan, my way would be north to the upper peninsula of Michigan, then on down to Escanaba, MI. Beautiful country! We have both taken ferry rides and that is not too interesting and slow. I would not do it. From Escanaba to Green Bay is a trip along Lake Michigan shoreline. That's about 50 miles of shoreline. If you get bored, you can go west on the smaller highways to I-90, or I-94.

Since it may be a once in a lifetime trip, I would take I-94 through Eau Clare to Billings where you join up with I-90, which will take you downtown Seattle. I-94 is much more interesting than i-90.
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
The timing can never be right for everything and this trip back to pick up our MH is a classic example of that = we are on a time crunch! In fact, there is only one week my wife can make the short trip back with me (then she'd still have to be back at work) Ultimately, the perfect situation would have been to BOTH be retired when we picked it up, and they we'd actually continue on east and see the New England area, but we don't have that luxury this time - within a year, but not now...

If we can't pick it up on that specific week, she'll fly back with me, we'll spend 2 days there and then she'll fly home and I'll drive it back. And LOL, I better not do any sightseeing/RV'ing w/o her!!

Thanks for the suggestion though!
If this is a New MH and you are on a Time Issue,HOPE and PRAY that Everything works and Nothing needs Fixed/Replaced during your PDI! A Hickup at Pickup could throw timing "Out the Door"! The Ferry "SS Badger" is a nice way to travel across but you should make Reservations to be safe,and IF you don't make it because of ??,Oh Well! Youroo!!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #16

Quote:
I've been on 90 thru Montana and I didn't notice it being that bad (in a p/u though) however, Montana was a bit of a nightmare when it came to the amount of deer in the road = early in the morning and towards evening I wouldn't want to be on the road.
My experiences, Billings to Coeur d'Alene the road is only rough when you run over the roadkill, and there can be a lot of that.

However, I am usually in a PU truck with or without a popup on my rear end.

And agree with BBogey, try not to be traveling at sunrise or sunset (or an hour before or after) a lot of big animals out there running around.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for all the info everyone! We are bring a motorhome back. IF we get it the day we're hoping and IF we leave to come home the day we hope to, we would be able to absorb that that extra 100 mile route to the north.

It's really a bummer having a time constraint, but that's just life right now - it will be different soon
If you do take the northern route Depending on what time you leave Grand Rapids, Burt lake State Park is about 3 1/2 hours. If you call them directly and let them know you are just over-nighting. they should fit you in. Same goes for other Michigan state parks. Then another 45 minutes north and just over the bridge is Straights State Park. If you still feel like driving, Another hour west on US-2 you will start seeing private RV parks as well as small mom and pop motels.

Its been such a long time since I have been past M-77 that I can't help you with that part of the journey but I am sure others will.

Hope this helps.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #18

Quote:
And bear. Went through the mountain once and it was bear not deer that was the road hazard.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #19

Thanks! As for the tight time schedule, IF there is an issue while picking it up (we will spend the day/night there using everything on the coach as many times over and over as possible) my wife will just fly back home and I'll head home whenever it's fixed.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #20

I came east from Richland wa. to Ann Arbor. I drove I-90 until I hit I-35 then went South to I-80 to I=94. I did this to avoid Chicago, avoid Chicago at all costs with a motorhome.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington