Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

Great time at Powder Horn Camp Ground Old Orchard Beach Maine

Just wanted to let everyone know that we just returned from Old Orchard Beach in Maine and had a great time at Powder Horn Camp Ground. Very clean and well maintained. The staff is fantastic! The camp ground is on the trolley route to the beach and Pier. Site is near Cabela's and plenty to do with kids of all ages. My 15 year old son wants to go back. That says it all!

2013 7 nights camped
2014 10 nights camped
2015 17 nights camped
2016 10 nights camped
Hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

We also booked powder horn based on your rave review. I had booked KOA but was going to have to move my site halfway through the week. Was willing to do that till I read your review of powder horn. The clincher was the hot tubs.
My one question is now that I've been reading their policies and see they don't allow fires after 11. Is this a strict rule? I often like to just sit by the fire and am not ready to end at a designated time. I'm not taking roaring blaze Just a small fire while the kids are sledding and enjoy a cigar. Just wondering?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #3

Am going to check this places website out now. Sounds real nice. Only downside will be trying not to buy more ammo and hunting gear at Cabela's. Lol
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Not sure about the campfire rule. We did not stay up too late.

2013 7 nights camped
2014 10 nights camped
2015 17 nights camped
2016 10 nights camped
Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
We just returned from Old Orchard Beach too. We go every year, sometimes just for the day to get Chinese food next to merry_go_round and seafood other places. Last year we stayed at HidnPines, very crowded and this year was at Paradise Park. This one we loved, less people, extremely clean and at top of hill going to beach.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

And the same owners

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #7

Nice to know there are options. This was our first time at OOB and we thougt it was great. We usually go to Salsbury Beach.

2013 7 nights camped
2014 10 nights camped
2015 17 nights camped
2016 10 nights camped
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

I've heard great things about powder horn, hoping to get in next year! We did 3 nh campgrounds and one MA this summer.
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

hockeyfam, where in MA did you camp? We are always looking for some where to go for a week end trip.

2013 7 nights camped
2014 10 nights camped
2015 17 nights camped
2016 10 nights camped
Old 08-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #10

We went to lamb city campground in phillipston. It is only 25 minutes from us so it was a good weekend trip. We actually went up on Thursday night after work and just went to work and daycare from there Friday. That way we didn't use Friday evening getting set up, just started the weekend right away! Lamb city was good, the kids enjoyed it. We had a pull thru right next to the playground so that worked out for the kids. They have 3 pools. It was mostly seasonal sites but the weekenders were pretty much together. Our friends had the site next to us so that was fun.

Another good weekend trip is woodmore's in Rindge. We are going back labor day weekend. Again for us, just about 40 minutes away. My kids LOVE the mini fenway park whiffle ball field they just built. There were like a million kids to play with. Saturday night was a real party atmosphere.

I can't leave work before 5 on Fridays so weekend trips for us need to be within an hour drive! The weekend of September 5 we are going to Minuteman in littleton, ma because my older son has a hockey tournament in Chelmsford all weekend. Have you been there?
Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #11

Hey Hockyfam. Fellow MA camper here also.

I frequent OOB also and usually stay at Hid n' Pines as it is within easy walking distance to the beach. I also live having a good size hardware store and supermarket within 1000 feet. Powder horn is just up the street and both campgrounds abut each other. I do believe the same family owns them both now. I find Hid n' pines to be a great family campground that is very laid back and enjoyable. Bathrooms are the cleanest I have ever seen. They clean them on the hour every hour. This year they just renovated a main bathroom building with all tile and Corian type counter tops. Absolutely beautiful. Never saw a campground renovate like that before. The staff is excellent and very friendly.

I will have to disagree with King Yankee. I do not find it crowded at all and I usually go around the fourth of July when OOB is considered the busiest.

Hid n' pines also has a very low number of seasonal sites so you are always surrounded by other vacationers and never feel you are in someone else's back yard.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

Hockeyfam, we have never been to the campground in Littleton. We live only minutes from there. I have heard it is nice though. I have also heard of Woodmore's. I know someone who has been there and loves it as well. Usually we look for things outside the campground to do. It sounds like my kids are much older, so we look for hiking trails, fishing, or a beach to go to. We just returned from 7 nights in Maine. We were between Bar Harbor and Camden. The kids enjoyed Acadia and Camden State Park. we went kayaking in the bay and my son did some fishing off the coast.

Sounds like hid n pines is a great place as well. Do the two connect? We have friends who are seasonal at Powder Horn and could see Hid N Pines was adjacent.

2013 7 nights camped
2014 10 nights camped
2015 17 nights camped
2016 10 nights camped
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #13

My boys are 9 and almost 6 so luckily they are completely content to do absolutely everything offered in the campground over and over lol!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

Thanks for the review on Powder Horn, we have reservations there Sept. 18-21. Looking forward to trying cg. Vin, it was a mob of kids when we were there, we go every year to OOB, 3 hour drive for us. Happy camping folks.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #15

As I still have kids under 16 I guess I could immune to lots of kids scampering around and did not notice. Or was glad that my kids had others to play with.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote