Old 07-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Greenville, SC to Myrtle Beach

I have not pulled my trailer beyond 1.5 hours from home since I purchased it. These have been primarily side roads where the speed limit does not exceed 65. We are preparing to take our first long trip to Myrtle Beach. My normal route to Myrtle Beach is I26 and I20 where the speed limit is 70. I don't think it safe to pull my trailer above 60ish which means I will be well below the speed limit. My options are to stay on I26 and I20 at 60ish or stay on side roads the whole way. I am curious if anyone has any experience or thoughts on the choice.

Thanks for you an inputs.

Scott

Old 07-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #2

I drive I-26 all the time with my motor home and toad. I stay in the right lane and usually between 60 to 65 mph. I just let the traffic pass me on the left and keep my own pace.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

We drive from Anderson to Myrtle Beach and travel the interstate as well. We drive our safe speed and let everyone else go on.
2015 nights camped 91
2016 nights camped 84

2017 nights camped 07 January
freedomfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

I just towed my roo 233s approx 2000 miles from Toronto to myrtle beach and back again. All of it on the interstate. Did 60-65 in the right lane with no issue. Not even a dirty look.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 3.55 4x4
2014 rockwood roo 233s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

Set your cruise at 60-62 and ride the right lane! I've never had an issue doing that on any interstate I've traveled (including 20 & 26).

And surprisingly I even pass some occasionally!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

Well, I just stayed 10 days in your neck of the woods, at Lake Greenwood State Park. Went to Greenville also for my wife to get some kind of quilt something. Went one way freeway and one way back way.

Back way was sorta cool.......but every little town had a 'sheriff' waiting to ticket speeders!! Be wary.

Go there one way, go home the other. Then you'll know.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

Myrtle Beach

I run 77 and 20 from Rock Hill SC area. 65 is as fast as anyone should go. Not the moving forward so much as the stopping. Also the tires for travel trailers or rated for up to 65mph. Have fun. Just left a 2 week stretch at Myrtle Beach State Park. Got the blues today.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

I'm in Spartanburg, I-26>I-20 is fine. Just don't be in a hurry.

I know you know that beach traffic is terrible going in and out on check-in/out days.

Good luck, have fun. We're headed down there in two weeks, but we've always gone to Inlete Point (2.1 mi south of Garden City) since mid 90s. One of the best areas and bargains on the beach.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #9

I've driven I-26 and I-20 to Myrtle Beach with our Sunseeker and toad several times. It's okay, just drive your safe speed and let traffic pass you. Try to avoid Columbia during rush hour.

If you want to take back roads, go to Spartanburg and take SC 9 South. It goes almost to North Myrtle Beach if that's not too far from your beach destination. I've driven it several times, also. It will take an hour or an hour and a half longer but there's little traffic. I prefer back roads. I drove it once just to avoid heavy interstate traffic the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Be alert for where SC 9 leaves US 176 near Pacolet. It's easy to miss. If you miss it, just continue to Jonesville and pick up SC 9 there.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemtigs View Post
I have not pulled my trailer beyond 1.5 hours from home since I purchased it. These have been primarily side roads where the speed limit does not exceed 65. We are preparing to take our first long trip to Myrtle Beach. My normal route to Myrtle Beach is I26 and I20 where the speed limit is 70. I don't think it safe to pull my trailer above 60ish which means I will be well below the speed limit. My options are to stay on I26 and I20 at 60ish or stay on side roads the whole way. I am curious if anyone has any experience or thoughts on the choice.

Thanks for you an inputs.

Scott
I make that run from Easley, SC with my V-Lite a couple of times a year. Like others have said stay in the right lane and drive at a speed that you feel comfortable with.