Old 12-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
We stayed in Fort Walton Beach at the Destin West campground...pricey..but nice ....right on the gulf.....

Save a beer for me!!! Happy Trails....Be Safe....
sunnyinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Smile Overnighting on I 65

Originally Posted by Cardaddy73 View Post
We are leaving Clarksville,Tn the 18th of December and working our way to the west coast of Florida. I feel like some were between Birmingham and Montgomery Al area would be the first overnight then on to the Gulf Shores(Florida) area for a couple days. Any body feel good about a place in Gulf Shores or our first overnight? I heard Gulf State park was nice....
Hi, I'm in Clarksville too! As for your first stop, last time I was down thataway, Alabama was allowing overnight stays at the rest areas. If that doesn't work, look for Peach Tree Park? anyway, its to the East at the last Clanton exit. A large fruit stand is there, good place to get some fresh peach ice cream, Its a little park just up the hill, there's a lighthouse and a train caboose in the front. Easy to see them from the road. Past there, we stay in Pensacola in our sons driveway so can't help you there. If I can find a place on this site, I'll send you an e-mail, maybe be able to help you out a little more.

AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
I don't know if you are aware that Gulf State Park just has a huge price increase and everyone there is VERY upset. A lot are looking to go somewhere else. Standard site $721/mo, off water/on water $754, and canal Road $887.65/mo. We stay at Sugar Sands, a new park and it is $666/mo including taxes. Also I heard that State Park eliminated their WIFI. Alabama is closing a lot of their State Parks.
wbonta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
Toy Haulin' Full Time!
Gulf State park is ok, depending on your objective, Luxury RV Resort (3 blocks from the boardwalk) is very convenient, and Silver Sands is a brand new, all concrete pad, beautiful facility and convenient. Actually not that busy most of the winter there, but I don't know about the holidays. Passport America will work on the trip until you get past Gainesville, for the most part.
Earvinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
When you get into Florida consider Destin West RV Resort. Very nice. While there don't miss the hidden boardwalk area of Destin with great food and shopping. We were there 3 nights, around Nov. 10 at $79 per night.
Beyond Ft. Walton area, we spent 4 nights at Coastline RV Resort, just south of Apalachiacola, in Eastpoint, Fl. Lots to do and see in the area. The owner,Diane, gave us a tour of her property and has every right to be SO proud of the resort. They have spared no expense. We met a lot of friendly locals who shared info on sights and food joints.
Did I tell you about the OYSTERS? WOW! A lot of them were consumed, prepared many ways. Caught "today" in the rivers and bays right there. Oh my!
We wandered on down the coastal byways towards Brooksville, Fl. where we will "winter" until early April. Enjoy your trip.
Travel safe

2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC Dually, 7.3 Diesel
2013 832IKBS Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, Hensley Arrow Hitch, Carlisle tires
2016 days camped....211, it ain't over yet!
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote