Old 12-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Gulf shores florida trip

We are leaving Clarksville,Tn the 18th of December and working our way to the west coast of Florida. I feel like some were between Birmingham and Montgomery Al area would be the first overnight then on to the Gulf Shores(Florida) area for a couple days. Any body feel good about a place in Gulf Shores or our first overnight? I heard Gulf State park was nice....

Old 12-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardaddy73 View Post
We are leaving Clarksville,Tn the 18th of December and working our way to the west coast of Florida. I feel like some were between Birmingham and Montgomery Al area would be the first overnight then on to the Gulf Shores(Florida) area for a couple days. Any body feel good about a place in Gulf Shores or our first overnight? I heard Gulf State park was nice....
If your headed to the "Redneck Riveria" at this time of year you better get on the phone and make some reservations. The Florida panhandle is very popular this time of year....

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #3

How about Cedar Key to Spring Hill area?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

Sherling Park in Greenville, AL. is a nice place. It is about 6-8 miles west of the interstate.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #5

We always stop at Sherling Lake Park, Greenville, AL., when going to Gulf State Park. About 350 miles from Nashville. The park is only 4.5 miles West of I-65, FHU with Wi-Fi $25.00 nightly (Good Sam), cash only.
DO NOT rely on your GPS once you exit I-65, it will take you 2 miles past the park entrance and you will go miles to get turned around. Just follow the signs, park entrance will be on your left.
Gulf State Park is a very nice park but be advised of the recent price increases. They are now adding a $7.00 resort fee per night pushing the weekend, water front or canal site, to close to $65.00 per night. They will be close to full this time of year (snowbirds).

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #6

We stayed at Henderson Beach State Park about 3 weeks ago and loved it. You can hear the ocean from your camper. We really loved it there. The florida state parks around the pan handle are beautiful. We stayed several years ago in Grayton Beach and loved it. You need to reserve a spot ASAP!!!!! The spots can be reserved months in advance. They also have some spots that don't have sewer hookup but you can lookup the sites, some have pictures. Florida uses Reserve America for their camp grounds. The staff at Henderson beach State Park are top notch and very friendly. We stayed close to he bath house in the first loop. Good luck and enjoy wherever you end up!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #7

I have made two trips to Manatee Springs SP near Chiefland FL and have another scheduled stop there in February. That is only 30-40 miles north from Cedar Key. You may even be able to get a reservation there at this late date. A nice campground with a few things to see and do while there. Visit the BBQ place in the park where there is free WiFi.

A little further north and west of Chiefland is Ochlockonee River SP near Sopchoppy, FL. This campground is a little more primitive although there is electric & water. Another place where you may find a camp site at this late date.

You might also look into Presnell's Bayside Marina and RV Resort on Cape San Blas, near Port St. Joe, FL. I have not stayed there, but I go past it all the time when I camp at St. Joseph Peninsula SP (which is probably full-up). Pressnell's usually looks like it has spots in February and March. You might also look at St. George Island SP just east of Apalachicola, one of my favorite beach destinations... but again will be hard to get a spot at this late date.

I looked at Cedar Key once, and found a County run RV park close by... all pads were small and I think they are first-come first-serve, as everyone in the spots had FL tags when I visited last year. Not very many spots either.

I hope this helps some.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

Gulf Shores trip

Gulf State Park is a great choice. Choose waterfront if available. Walking and biking trails are really nice.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #9

Top Sail SP about 10 miles east of Destin is very nice, full hookups including sewer and cable, $42 per night. Ochlockonee River SP near Sopchoppy, FL may be ok this time of year. Was there a couple of years ago June/July, couldn't go outside of camper unless you wanted to be eaten alive by the yellow flies. Fort Morgan RV park in Gulf Shores is ok, a mom and pop owned campground, very friendly owners, full hookups.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #10

Gulf State Park. It's a winner! Can't go wrong.