Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Okay, this might be an option. Find an FFL dealer in Maine. Call them and ask if they do gun cleaning. Drop the gun off. They will give you a claim ticket. (Don't lose it!). When you get back, they will swap you the gun for the claim ticket and their charge for cleaning. You get the gun stored, get it back clean, and 4473 not required. But verify this with the shop first. They have the right to do background checks on anyone who walks out with a firearm.
That's even better than a bank.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
please dont spread false information. Handguns are most definitely legal in canada unless they fall into the prohibited category (even then, its possible to posses a prohibited gun legally)

But, their is little use of having a handgun here. the only legal use is to go target practice at the range. Short of that, if you get caught packing it around when not transporting to or from the range youll have some questions to answer! god forbid you ever have to discharge it in self defence, youll be made to look like more of a criminal than the guy that tried to kill you LOL
Thank you! I used to transport a Sig P226 from MI to a gun range outside of Oshawa to shoot in some matches. It was quite a few years ago.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
Not entirely true.

NON Restricted: Long rifles (semi auto 18.5"+ long and single shot/manual repeaters of all length) also including shotguns

Restricted: hand guns, Long rifles (semi auto 4.14-18.5" long) and any other non prohibited firearm that can fold to less than 26"

Prohibited: Handguns with barrels less than 4.14", full/semi-auto handguns

Granted his weapon is not of the prohibited type, he can most certainly take his handgun across the border, but its not going to be easy.

You'd have to apply for a non-restricted PAL, then the restricted PAL, then fill out a pile of paperwork to transport the weapon across the border. and to top it off, youd have to find a gun range somewhere along your journeys path, apply for membership there as they will very likely deny your weapons entry if their isnt a specific purpose for bringing it into the country.

Hell, we arent even allowed to transport our handguns around our own country unless it is going to and back from a gun range.

I would still recommend just leaving it behind, its not worth the hassle....
Dave - your comments are all accurate. to the OP - leave it at home, it will be nothing but, a hassle.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Best option is not to bring it into Canada even if legal. If you stay safe you will be safe, using a handgun as security blanket will definitely end is different situation should you discharge the firearm.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #45

The best idea is to use an FFL.

However, it is completely legal to ship a Firearm to yourself. Ie, as others have said you can ship in locked case and unloaded to the first campground you will visit upon re entry.

This may works as well if you are traveling through Canada to Alaska.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #46
7 Year Class A RV'er

Mountndream: Might want to verify that shipping comment. I'm not an expert by any means and could most definitely be wrong, but I was always told that ONLY a licensed dealer was allowed to ship firearms within the US. The link below will take you to the UPS policy that seems to verify that: https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...tml?srch_pos=1

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Mountndream: Might want to verify that shipping comment. I'm not an expert by any means and could most definitely be wrong, but I was always told that ONLY a licensed dealer was allowed to ship firearms within the US. The link below will take you to the UPS policy that seems to verify that: https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...tml?srch_pos=1
You can ship the gun to yourself and leave it in the care of another... It just cannot be opened by the other person, the box must remain sealed. Shipping to a hunting lodge or a friend is one thing.. I just am not a fan of hiding from the campground what is in it. One my fear would be if they figure out what it is.. They'll turn it into the police and you might not see it again, or more likely it will be sitting on their desk for days until you get there and hopeful is not lifted.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #48

Okay, it IS possible to ship a firearm to yourself, but let me say this. Handguns are a completely different critter when it comes to the ATF. I would strongly urge that you not take it on yourself to ship a handgun without an FFL on the receiving end. The law says you must declare the contents to the shipper. Let's say a package gets damaged and the contents become visible when the shipper re-packages. They "will" call the ATF and turn the gun over to them along with addresses from both ends. At that point, the person shipping and the person receiving the gun comes under a high level of scrutiny, and both better pass a Nics check. There are penalties for not declaring the contents to the shipper. Please be careful with taking advice from the Internet concerning handguns. If you want to use FedEx, call them and verify what their rules are, but please never ship a handgun on your own without knowing the laws. It might not end well.
This is one of those issues whereby "It's not a problem until it's a problem, but when it's a problem, it's a really big problem"

Google. 18 USC 922(e):
Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #49
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Okay, it IS possible to ship a firearm to yourself, but let me say this. Handguns are a completely different critter when it comes to the ATF. I would strongly urge that you not take it on yourself to ship a handgun without an FFL on the receiving end. The law says you must declare the contents to the shipper. Let's say a package gets damaged and the contents become visible when the shipper re-packages. They "will" call the ATF and turn the gun over to them along with addresses from both ends. At that point, the person shipping and the person receiving the gun comes under a high level of scrutiny, and both better pass a Nics check. There are penalties for not declaring the contents to the shipper. Please be careful with taking advice from the Internet concerning handguns. If you want to use FedEx, call them and verify what their rules are, but please never ship a handgun on your own without knowing the laws. It might not end well.
This is one of those issues whereby "It's not a problem until it's a problem, but when it's a problem, it's a really big problem"

Google. 18 USC 922(e):
Right from the ATF:
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where
he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to
the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than
the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

BUT I still would not do it.. The shipper will know what it is, my concern is the receiver! Who knows who that COULD be.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #50
Who Dares, Wins

NOW THAT WAS FAST!!!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #51

That would be called "Quick Draw"! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #52
Who Dares, Wins

I see what you did there...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #53
Retired

Rhoadzie
Contact Maine Inland Fish and Wildlife at (207) 287-8000 or Old Town Trading Post (207) 827-7032. The Trading Post is 1/2 mile off I95 Exit 197 and next to a Dysarts fuel mart & deli.

Happy Trails
Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #54

You might try Kittery Trading Post. They do have a website as well. They may be able to give you some ideas.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #55

Gun storage Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Right from the ATF:

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where

he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to

the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than

the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

BUT I still would not do it.. The shipper will know what it is, my concern is the receiver! Who knows who that COULD be.

That is to a "state" - that is within ATF jurisdiction. It has nothing to do with importing into a foreign country. As to importing to Canada, see http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...porter-eng.htm

Among other things, "all firearms must be declared at Canada Customs and the applicable duties and taxes must be paid." Authorization in advance is required. "Firearms that are shipped to an individual in Canada must be handled by a carrier company licensed under the Firearms Act to transport firearms." "An envelope labeled "Customs Documents" [must] be firmly attached to the outside of the container."

Anyone violating these laws may end up in Canadian jail and don't expect any sympathy from authorities for an American trying to avoid detection, customs declaration and any import duties (which may or may not apply). Remember, "the Mounties always get their man!"

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 02-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #56
Who Dares, Wins

A little late to the game... Thin all this got very well covered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #57

Maine is a reciprocal state of most states with ccw laws you would have no problem dropping it off at a gun shop for a cleaning or just to check it out for you for a week or so.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #58

Gun storage Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
A little late to the game... Thin all this got very well covered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks so much, however I responded to a msg from 2/8 (#49) that had not been responded to.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
storage