Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
We don't allow hand guns in Canada.

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10

please dont spread false information. Handguns are most definitely legal in canada unless they fall into the prohibited category (even then, its possible to posses a prohibited gun legally)

But, their is little use of having a handgun here. the only legal use is to go target practice at the range. Short of that, if you get caught packing it around when not transporting to or from the range youll have some questions to answer! god forbid you ever have to discharge it in self defence, youll be made to look like more of a criminal than the guy that tried to kill you LOL

Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #32

Doc, I've not traveled extensively, and I'm sure that most on here have seen much more than I, but I've seen such beauty from the Louisiana swamps to the mountains of Washington State. America holds such beauty, that I'm sure I'll never scratch the surface of seeing it. I just like knowing its there. I would love to go to the northeast sometime, and I want to spend a week at the Smithsonian. Maybe this should be another thread...lol

Old 02-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #33

Okay, this might be an option. Find an FFL dealer in Maine. Call them and ask if they do gun cleaning. Drop the gun off. They will give you a claim ticket. (Don't lose it!). When you get back, they will swap you the gun for the claim ticket and their charge for cleaning. You get the gun stored, get it back clean, and 4473 not required. But verify this with the shop first. They have the right to do background checks on anyone who walks out with a firearm.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #34

Thats probably the best idea. IF you can drop it off before you cross the border, pay a few bucks for cleaning, then pick it up on your way back...

Sounds like a cheap and secure solution to me, and no BS to deal with!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #35
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Okay, this might be an option. Find an FFL dealer in Maine. Call them and ask if they do gun cleaning. Drop the gun off. They will give you a claim ticket. (Don't lose it!). When you get back, they will swap you the gun for the claim ticket and their charge for cleaning. You get the gun stored, get it back clean, and 4473 not required. But verify this with the shop first. They have the right to do background checks on anyone who walks out with a firearm.
That is an excellent and extremely logical idea.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #36

Davidg,very good Idea! Youroo!!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #37

Need to be careful transporting guns through state of CT and NY. Even with the federal interstate carry/transport rules these states can be tricky.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
Not entirely true.

NON Restricted: Long rifles (semi auto 18.5"+ long and single shot/manual repeaters of all length) also including shotguns

Restricted: hand guns, Long rifles (semi auto 4.14-18.5" long) and any other non prohibited firearm that can fold to less than 26"

Prohibited: Handguns with barrels less than 4.14", full/semi-auto handguns

Granted his weapon is not of the prohibited type, he can most certainly take his handgun across the border, but its not going to be easy.

You'd have to apply for a non-restricted PAL, then the restricted PAL, then fill out a pile of paperwork to transport the weapon across the border. and to top it off, youd have to find a gun range somewhere along your journeys path, apply for membership there as they will very likely deny your weapons entry if their isnt a specific purpose for bringing it into the country.

Hell, we arent even allowed to transport our handguns around our own country unless it is going to and back from a gun range.

I would still recommend just leaving it behind, its not worth the hassle....
While that all might be true... The OP never said what he is carrying. Between my Khar and glock CC guns none have a barrel over 4.14" so they are prohibited. Typically only target shooting guns have barrels that long, not concealed carry / self defense guns.

Edit: I did look, my full size gun would be over the 4" length but I would not be carrying it.

I do like the idea of the gun cleaning, just make sure of what their policy is for pickup. It only takes and hour for me to strip and ultra sonically clean my glock a bit longer for long gun... Make sure they do not "dispose" of your un claimed gun after 3 days or something ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #39

Pawn it. Pick it up on return.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #40

Doc73:

I shipped it via UPS next day service to a campground in PA. That was summer of 2013. I had reviewed all the issues on the UPS website and even called them. It was all legal.

I also called the campground in advance and even though I did not tell them what was in the box they were 100% okay with it.

The law may be different now, but in 2013 it was all legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
storage