Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #1

Happy, happy, happy

That's it, we're done. Done owning homes. Done working. Done with schedules!!!

We've sold the house and are hitting the road full time. So, to all you full timers out there, I pose a few questions;

1 - I know there are mail forwarding services out there. Who uses which one and why.

2 - Since we won't have a permanent home for awhile, which state offers the best solution for pensioners who are homeless? (ie; tags, taxes, inspections etc.)

3 - Economical layovers ie; campgrounds, parks, resort memberships etc. (we already belong to Coast to Coast)

I'm probably opening a can of worms for myself and may come up with a few more questions that you guys will bring up but, I'll sort it all out in the end, hopefully. So, I await your wisdom.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
Plain Old Member

First off congradulations.

1 - I know there are mail forwarding services out there. Who uses which one and why. We don't use one. We do most everything online. We have our "mailing" address set up at a PO Box in the same town as my parents, mainly for the few little items we do get (Trailer Life and Motorhome magazines). Once a week they check it and send it our way. This isn't an option for everybody though.

2 - Since we won't have a permanent home for awhile, which state offers the best solution for pensioners who are homeless? (ie; tags, taxes, inspections etc.) I can't answer that, but we moved our "residence" to our property in west Louisiana where the shop is. There is no home there, just a big shop. It was just easier for us to do it this way. All of our vehicles, boats and RV is registered there.

3 - Economical layovers ie; campgrounds, parks, resort memberships etc. (we already belong to Coast to Coast) We're not a member of anything. We wanted the freedom to stay absolutely anywhere we wanted to, from state parks to resorts to anywhere else you can think of. Before we started, we agreed that monthly campground fees would not exceed what our mortgage was. So, in our case anything $600 or less is good with us. Right now, we're at one for around $490 a month, Arkansas will be a little over $500 a month, and when we return to Toledo Bend Lake (Louisiana) later this year, we'll be around $200 a month. This is just what works for us. If we need a break from the road, the shop on our property is outfitted with full hook ups inside and a small apartment. We can just go back it in the garage, hook it up and save some money for a while.

I'm probably opening a can of worms for myself and may come up with a few more questions that you guys will bring up but, I'll sort it all out in the end, hopefully. So, I await your wisdom. [/QUOTE]

I probably did help too much, but it's at least 1 cent worth of information since we do full time. I mentioned it on another thread, and figure I'll mention it here. One thing we didn't plan on originally, was being displaced from our home on wheels for big repairs. We have a cargo trailer that contains everything you could imagine, and is somewhat our mobile RV repair facility, spare parts and all. But, what we didn't plan on, was having to replace a front cap and a slide out floor. We've been displaced twice since January due to stuff like this. We didn't have a plan, but did end up having a place to stay as shown in our signature. Just food for thought, as some people like us, get caught up in how awesome it is to full time, and don't think about ALL of the what if's. Have a plan of where to go in the event this happens.

I didn't see insurance mentioned, but I'm sure you got that covered. We have RV insurance like most everybody. But, we also carry a separate policy to cover everything else. I believe it's renter's insurance. We are with USAA, and this was their recommendation after a long discussion with them about what we're doing.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

I would join and ask this same question ( or do a sear a search) over on the Escapees forums, lots of full time info there
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

I would also send you to Excapees were many are full timers. The states of Texas, SD and Florida are popular for full timers, no state income tax. Good luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote