Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Smile Heading to Destin Fl

Hi Guys was wondering if anyone has actually stayed at a RV park in Destin Fl called Camp Gulf? Looking to spend the 1st week in August there and looking for all suggestions! Shows you setup and camp right on the beach. Thanks as always. Jim
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Never stayed there, but have been by it within the last 3 or 4 weeks. It looked clean and tidy, but it also looked like the sites were awfully close together. Couldn't see through the park, so I can't tell you if it was right on the beach or not.

If you can get a reservation, you might want to take a look at Henderson Beach State Park, also right in Destin. We stayed there a year ago. It is on the beach...wooden boardwalks cross the sand dunes (you can't walk on the dunes) directly from the campground to the beach. Only downside we found in camping there is that, like many state parks, it has beautiful sites with electric and water, but no sewer service. Dump station is convenient, though. Might have to hook up and go dump once during the week, or use a blue tote.

Topsail, a little east of Destin, has full hook-ups and access to the beach...maybe 1/2 mile, but they run a shuttle from the campground to the beach all day. We stayed at Topsail this winter and loved the campground.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #3

If you want to see if that park is right on the beach, locate it on Google earth. You should be able to tell from that view.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #4

We love that park. You can set up right on the sand, basically. No pets are allowed in those spots though. All of the spots seemed nice it's just a matter of what you are needing. Bathrooms were very nice.
We are planning on going back this summer.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

Hey jyr: Have never stayed there but have driven through it to check it out. Was NOT impressed. It was crowded..noisy...and the sites on the beach are VERY close together. The day we went through it, most of the RV's on the beach either couldn't open awnings because of space constraints, or if they were open, were practically touching the rv next door. Not my idea of enjoyable camping. Although, it must not bother everyone as this campground, in season, is always full. It's all in what you're comfortable and happy with and willing to put up with. Hope this helps.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Don

Camping in Destin

I live just across the bay from Destin and have stayed in both Topsail Hill and Henderson Park. I haven't stayed in Camp Gulf although I've spent some time there. My brother/sister in law used to park there every summer on their visit to us. Part of it is right on the beach but even the part that isn't is only a 5 minute walk. Topsail and Henderson are not right on the beach but Topsail has a tram that takes you to the beach. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Henderson is a walk over a walk bridge. Again about 15 minute walk. Henderson and Topsail are hard to get into this time of year if you don't already have reservations. Both are superb parks. Henderson does not have full hookup. They have a dump station. Makes staying longer than 3 days a carefully managed project for black and gray water tanks. Both parks have excellent bath houses and restrooms. Hope this helps. If I can be of any further help just pm me.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Occasional campers

Camping on the Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyr View Post
Hi Guys was wondering if anyone has actually stayed at a RV park in Destin Fl called Camp Gulf? Looking to spend the 1st week in August there and looking for all suggestions! Shows you setup and camp right on the beach. Thanks as always. Jim
We stayed at Camping on the Gulf a few years ago. Our only minor complaint was that WiFi coverage at the time wasn't very good; I usually had to go to their internet room in one of the camp buildings. Another camper who had past experience there recommended for longer stays, getting a spot in the section that is a little bit back from the beach itself (which was where we were). Two reasons for that--one was the corrosion on the camping rig due to the salt, which is worse when you're closer to the water. The other is that the spots a little bit back were less expensive; and it's still a pretty easy stroll to the beach. Density may have been a little higher than some parks, but that's fairly normal for a place like this in a prime location. Where we were parked, the truck HAD to be immediately unhitched from our 33' travel trailer, because the spot wasn't long enough for truck and trailer in line. Would we go back? Yes.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

camp gulf

We have stayed at Camp Gulf for the past several years. We like it so well that we make reservations for the next year before we leave the park. Wonderful place for families with children.
gtdmce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

My wife and I have been going to Destin for the last four years. The RV park you are going to we have visited and weren't impressed. If you like being directly on the Gulf then you might like this place. We have stayed three years at Destin RV Resort. The streets are cobble stoned, each camp site is individually landscaped, you're only a block away from the Gulf, and it is a gated community. This last year we stayed at Geronimo. This is a more wide open RV campground but very quite. It is located about three block from the Gulf. It is also located in Miramar Beach. The beaches here are as beautiful as any in the world. Have fun and happy RVing.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

Some restaurant there also has a bakery BEST DONUTS EVER ‼️ sorry don't remember the name
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

Must be referring to the Donut Hole!

2015 Legacy RB, Soon to be 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #12

I am in Destin right now at Topsail Preserve State Park. Make sure you have reservations before you head down here. I made mine 11 months ago. The sites at Camp Gulf are very, very small. If you want a day or so at a time, look at Fort Pickens, Henderson Beach and Topsail. The beaches are absolutely beautiful here! Also, The Donut Hole is great and the Red Barn for seafood. Have a great trip!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #13

We have only stayed at a nice place that we loved called DESTINWEST small RV Resort actually in Fort Walton Beach which is basically Destin (5 miles) we loved it... A fairly new resort... smal,l only about 50 or so slips, all beautiful level sites... Sits right on the Bay!.... U can have your coffee and watch sail boats on the Bay in the morning.....The RV resort is small but very attractive with a bath house, washers and dryers and a pool......But the great part is directly across the street is a nice Ramada Inn Resort on the Beach which is there "sister facility" and all RV resort guest get free use of all amenities at the hotel which includes an awsesome waterfall grotto pool with a swim up bar... Splash water park for the kids, gym, etc......So nice. We loved it! Highly recommend!
GH Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #14

Destin

X2 on the Donut Hole! They also make a great Key Lime Pie.
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #15

We stayed at camp Gulf several years ago and loved it. We were right on the beach! The sites are very tight but it was worth it to be ON the beach. They offer for an additional fee sewer service at your option. Cannot wait to go back.
SCcamping16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #16

We Stayed at Camp Gulf last Labor Day weekend and Loved it. we were actually 1 row back from the beach front (first row of concrete slabs). you are still on the beach, but have sewer service and water.

My family loved it. quick access to the beach, nice facilities, and plenty of activities. We have made it one of our annual trips.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #17

Destin West RV resort

Very nice campground, but be aware if you made reservations in December you may not still have them New computer system, ours were cut from 3/13-3/20 to 3/17-3/20. We showed up on 3/13. Wanted us to move sites midweek, did not get the site we requested. Not very good customer service, no sorry about that just this is what we can do. Won't be gone back!
Bfee611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #18

Topsail Hill is the way to go. Reservations this time of year are hard to get. I check periodically for cancellations. In fact, last month I scored a killer spot there for a week in mid May. It is easier to get spots at Topsail in August which is brutally hot and humid and prime hurricane season.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote