Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Heading to FL & a thought about winerizing

T –3 hrs & we start our trek down I-95 from PA to Sarasota FL for 2 weeks.
First long haul with the 5er.
TV is a 97 Dodge V10. I’m getting about 5-6 mpg around the Poconos with OD turned off.
It will be interesting to see what I get once on I-95 & can use the OD.

I expect to just miss the MD/DC traffic & hope to make it to the Flying J in Kenly NC before I run out of steam.

A thought about winterizing,

I did not want to use the pink stuff before the clod weather hit & have to sanitize the unit once down in FL so back in Oct I blow out the lines, opened the low point drains, emptied the hot water heater & removed the filter.
I left all faucets open in the camper. No pink stuff.

Around noon time today I fired up the heater & brought the temp in the camper to 40f. Outside temp was 30f.
About 3:30pm with an outside temp of 33f I hooked the hose up & filled the fresh water tank about ½ full.

Went inside, closed the faucets, held my breath & turned on the pump.
The pump fired up & after about 2 mins it turned off.
Went to the kitchen faucet & I had water.

Over the past two weeks here in PA we have had average temps from the teens to the 30s.
Not too many days above freezing.

When I return from FL in two weeks I will again blow out the lines but will also use the pink stuff.
I guess what I am trying to say here is you can get away with just blowing out the lines & you probably will be ok.
As most others have said for a couple $$ you have extra piece of mind.
However you don’t have to freak out if the temp drops below freezing & you don’t have any pink stuff on hand.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

I winterize as you have discribed. It does get below freezing in central Texas, but not for long. Suppose to be 28 tonight. I have burst outside pipes (pvc) because I didn't drain them. Enjoy Florida. I spent 2 years at Tampa one day. Tampa was ok, realy liked Clear Water, St Pete and Saratoga.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Just a small notation to your hot, sunny tropical Florida vacation....it's been 20 degrees for the overnite low tuesday and wednesday, 29 thursday. Back to normal now- 54 at nite- 75 days, but possible rain. Then, cold again mid-week coming. It's like that a lot in the winter here! Been in Jax 48 years, and it even snowed here once- enough to build a 4 foot snowman!!!! Just so y'all know........Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote