Old 09-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #11
Get through Boston

To my knowledge I believe that even if you really wanted to drive through Boston with an RV it is not possible because hazardous materials are prohibited from passing under the Hancock Building which is considered a tunnel. Since propane is a hazardous material, I always do I-495. A bit longer but safer.

clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
Was in Bar Harbor area about a month ago. As for going through Boston. One word... don't. Take 44 out of Plymouth to 495 N then hit 95 N. Seems like the long way around but will probably take you less time and your nerves will be mostly intact by the time you reach 95N

dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
For what it's worth....I-95 in Connecticut is a nightmare. Take a look at the map - 287 to 684 north - to I84 east. I-84 runs all the way to the Mass line where it connects to the Mass Pike which is I90. 495 is about 25 miles east/north on I90/Mass Pike.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Denmark, ME & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
live in plymouth so i would go the 495 route to get to 95 north. if you have propane you can not go thru boston not allowed in tunnels with propane. it may take a few minutes longer on 495. but traffic moves and no major slow downs. each campground will help you get to the main route you need hope you had fun in plymouth ma
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #15
Site Team
Well -- I was nervous before but you plumb scared me out of going to Plymouth. I wasn't real fond of that route anyway due mostly to
the severe jog east to reach it as well as how in the heck to avoid
No biggie.
We dropped Plymouth and added Portsmouth NH.
That has a couple advantages.
It shortens our route over all and it shortens our final leg enough that I feel OK about stopping at the LL Bean outlet in Freeport on the way to Acadia NP.
Plus it allows us to stay a little further inland and avoid the NYC area.

I understand aggressive driving. Once was driving in Atlanta. 6 or 7 lanes nearly bumper to bumper going 70+. Some idiot inched past me on the left and immediately cut in front of me. It was so close I braced for impact. I though he had my front bumper! I cut my 3 car following distance back to 1 1/2 and just held on.... I will keep up!

Thanks so much for the discussion!!
Happy Trails!!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
I had a taxi driver brake check me hard on 495 while I was in the slow lane doin 65 in my 34' Bounder with a jeep as a toad.

Found out my Blue Ox was working!!!

Thought I was going over the top of the taxi....never knew what made him mad..guess 65 in the slow lane at 10:00 at night is too slow.

Anyway 495 should be less stressful save for any construction. I forget about the propane restrictions going under the city...I never take the RV through the city.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Its a shame about missing Plymouth lot to see and gateway to the Cape. Portsmouth NH is just as nice. Check out Kittery Trading Post and route 1 oulets similiar to Freeport. Safe journey
Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
I used to live in Massachusetts. As the others have warned, do not drive a motorhome in Boston. Actually, I would avoid driving even a car through there...

Vehicles with propane are prohibited from the tunnels in Boston. Some underpasses along the Charles River are too low for an RV. Just avoid all the problems and take I-495 around the city.

2010 Georgetown 373
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote