Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #21

Hershey, PA campgrounds

We did High Meadow this past July. If your focus is on Hershey Park, I would stay there. The shuttles from the CG to the park are great--no parking hassles and hikes to and from the car---especially great for the return when you (and kids) are tired from all the park activities. We never noticed the trains. Also, we really enjoyed the antique auto museum that is close by. It is affiliated with the Smithsonian and had tremendous displays, by decade, of some legendary cars.
tnclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #22

We went to Farm Aid in Hershey and we stay at High Meadow it was ok the trains didn't bother me I live by them .I rather stay at a state park or gov.its cheaper then the private ones.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo0706 View Post
Just wondering who has any recommendations for campgrounds in the Hershey, PA area for summer 2013. It will be the six of us in our 30ft TT for over a week. Full hookups would be a must for this stay. Also, there seems to be many attractions in this area so is there anything that we simple can't miss while in the area?
Thanks in advance!
We stayed at the Eliazbethtown/Hershey KOA.
Good campground especially for kids. Large sites. Clean facilities.
Gettysburg is not too far.
C130FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #24

E Town KOA I second that,also visit the Masonic Home in E Town,Beautiful Place! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #25
CLASS "A" Senior Member

High Meadow Campground is just up the street from Hershey Park. If you're into cars there's a Museum close by that's well worth visiting.

Antique Auto Museum at Hershey, Pennsylvania
One thing I will caution you on is the Waste Water Treatment Plant is just up the road as well. One day the breeze will blow and wonderful smell of chocolate is in the air. Other days when it blows in the other direction, let's just say it ain't chocolate. We stayed on the parking lot at Hershey for the RV Show a couple times. On one occasion I thought someone dumped their tanks on the lot or mine developed a leak. When I went outside and spoke with a couple other campers, I found out about the Waste Water Treatment Plant.

We usually stay at Spring Gulch Campground. It's not real far away. We usually travel to Strasburg for all of the train attractions. Toy Train Museum http://traincollectors.org/ , Choo Choo Barn http://www.choochoobarn.com/, Strasburg Railroad http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ and the PRR Museum http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/ are all very close together. Shady Maple http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord is the Taj Mahal for Smorgasbords, we try to visit at least once during our stay.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Engineer of Crazy Train

When we went to Hershey in '12, we stood at Lickdale Campground, which is now Jownstown KOA. I wanted nothing to do with trains, since I get more than enough at work. I liked it but the commute sucked. A coworker said no issues with trains, so next time, Highmeadow will be our choice.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #27

Thanks everyone for the info, I can't believe how much help this has been!
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
When we went to Hershey in '12, we stood at Lickdale Campground, which is now Jownstown KOA. I wanted nothing to do with trains, since I get more than enough at work. I liked it but the commute sucked. A coworker said no issues with trains, so next time, Highmeadow will be our choice.
I know what you mean about the trains, I work with them far more than I want to sometimes. I prefer my vacations to be whistle-free!
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
High Meadow Campground is just up the street from Hershey Park. If you're into cars there's a Museum close by that's well worth visiting.

Antique Auto Museum at Hershey, Pennsylvania
One thing I will caution you on is the Waste Water Treatment Plant is just up the road as well. One day the breeze will blow and wonderful smell of chocolate is in the air. Other days when it blows in the other direction, let's just say it ain't chocolate. We stayed on the parking lot at Hershey for the RV Show a couple times. On one occasion I thought someone dumped their tanks on the lot or mine developed a leak. When I went outside and spoke with a couple other campers, I found out about the Waste Water Treatment Plant.

We usually stay at Spring Gulch Campground. It's not real far away. We usually travel to Strasburg for all of the train attractions. Toy Train Museum Train Collectors Association , Choo Choo Barn The Choo Choo Barn – Strasburg, PA | Gigantic Model Train Layout, Strasburg Railroad Strasburg Rail Road - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and the PRR Museum RR Museum of PA :: Welcome are all very close together. Shady Maple Shady Maple Smorgasbord | Authentic Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking | Lancaster County PA is the Taj Mahal for Smorgasbords, we try to visit at least once during our stay.

The Choo Choo Barn, if it's the place I'm thinking of, is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Even if you're not into model railroading (and I am not), you'll be blown away by this.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130FE View Post
We stayed at the Eliazbethtown/Hershey KOA.
Good campground especially for kids. Large sites. Clean facilities.
Gettysburg is not too far.
FYI, Sam was my C-130 Flight Engineer for a large part of my 33 year Air Force Career. I first met him in 1982 when I joined my reserve unit and flew with him on and off till I retired in 2005. Super dude and all around great camping buddy.

Make him welcome please.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Bill's thread is now http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-pa-34333.html

so as not to be confused with this one
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #32

We stayed at High Meadow. Not a bad place, we were near the "train side", ran the fan in our RV, so the noise was not as issue. The busses that ran to the park and the Chocolate factory were great. Drivers were nice and friendly. The pool was ok, but over chlorinated according to the kids.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #33

We stayed at Twin Grove the last two years and loved. We camped side by side with the inlaws. Great facilities, the kids loved it too. We will go again this June
Mikemiller69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

FYI, Sam was my C-130 Flight Engineer for a large part of my 33 year Air Force Career. I first met him in 1982 when I joined my reserve unit and flew with him on and off till I retired in 2005. Super dude and all around great camping buddy.

Make him welcome please.
And he lives down the road from me. Sam I was in Nazareth just this morning. Welcome to FRF. Any friend of Lou's has all our sympathy!
House97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #35

Hershey Park or Dutch Wonderland??? Going to stay in Hershey for the week @ TT Hershey - have a 5yr old - any recommendations as to what is better Hershey Park or Dutch Wonderland - where would be the best place to spend more time? Thanks for any input!
kritta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #36
Always Learning

Both are good- but with a 5 year old, I'd likely opt for Dutch Wonderland.

Though, take my response with a grain of salt- I haven't been to DW since *I* was that age and haven't been to Hershey Park in season in 10+ years.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #37

I would 2nd on Dutch Wonderland more things for a 5 year old to do.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #38

Hi Kritta,
That's a good question. We have been to both. Dutch Wonderland is an old time amusement park. Lots of kiddie rides and smaller layout than Hershey Park. It's on U.S. Route 30 and lots of other touristy attractions are nearby.
Hershey Park is a big park with big rides as well as kiddie rides. And Chocolate town is right there. Kids will love either one.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #39

Oops, forgot to tell you. There is a Lancaster County Welcome Center nearby. It's worth a stop. Plenty of discount coupons and a short film on the local Amish population that is outstanding.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #40
Always Learning

We go to Chocolate World without going to Hershey quite often. :-) We love that silly ride and song.