Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I doubt if insurance companies can tell if you were on the phone, I have apps on my phone that my cell carrier can't track and I don't think my iPhone can be broke into

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Cell carriers can track when you are actively using the network to talk or text, but not use apps. Police can access this data with a warrant. Most likely insurance cannot unless there is a police investigation.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #42
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
While I would when not towing.. I stay out of the left lane for the 80mph people to drive on. I do not need to move over for you, you have the yield sign not me. You can speed up or slow down to merge. My cruise control is set..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I think most folks never learned what a yield sign is. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #43

I had a few good ones so far this year.

1) rt 28 headed to Old Forge/Adirondacks. being single lane with lots of curves there are no many chances to pass. I do a decent speed by typically will have a few cars behind me. On a straight away without oncoming traffic i will move over a bit and give them a chance to pass. But this last time i have to pick ups that were happy to stay behind me. but then this little crossover car or something decided to pass the two trucks and me. they didnt have nearly enough room. they get up along side of me and i see the curve and oncoming traffic. had i not slowed down it would have got ugly. the crazy part is not far a head of me was a group of slow vehicles. hour up the road i stopped at a light, yup right behind the guy that wanted to kill me.

2) rt 81 north towards alex bay. i was doing 62 or so, stayed in the right lane the entire time. Lady comes up an on ramp right along my truck, i stay at my speed and cant move over. she proceeds to ride right next to me at the same speed. she then slows down as she starts running out of time/room. no sooner does my truck get past her and she swerves barely missing my camper and lays on the horn. she pretty much had to stop in order to stay on the road as the ramp ended. I really dont thing she had a clue my camper was back there.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #44

Some entrance ramps have "Merge" signs, others have "Yield" signs, some are stoplight controlled. Seems that none work all the time. I'll move to the left, IF and WHEN I can to allow traffic entering onto the superslab. But if/when I can't move....well as we know, it gets interesting..
Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #45

It really peeves me when someone comes up the on ramp at a slow pace and puts me in the position of slowing down to let them in, and then they take off like a bat out of hell. Why cannot they get up to traffic speed to make the merge easy?

Just because someone has a driver license does not mean they know how to drive!

Drive safe everyone.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It works the other way, too. You're trying to get on, the left lane is clear, but the guy in the right lane won't go over to let you on.

Call me one of the those that do that. I used to religiously move to the left (passing) lane when approaching an on ramp to let the merging traffic on. A few years ago I quit doing it. Anymore when you do that, about 90% of the time the person you just let on accelerates to pass you with the intent of getting in front of you at all costs. Now I stand my ground in that lane, and hold my speed. Screw em. They have the yield sign not I.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #47
Mod free 5er

Best thing to do is move over IF you can or slow down and let the idiots in. Live and let live. IF you drive defensively, you will see them coming up in more than enough time to slow down for them.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #48
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

They need to use the merge lane to either speed up and get in front of me or slow down and get behind me. I can't solve all their problems. I've had them stare at me or just plain ignore me. 9 times out of 10 there is a vehicle to my left and I can't get over anyway. A car or truck basically empty has more options to speed up or slow down than we do with a camper behind us.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #49
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Best thing to do is move over IF you can or slow down and let the idiots in. Live and let live. IF you drive defensively, you will see them coming up in more than enough time to slow down for them.
Yep. I'm always checking the on-ramp for vehicles as soon as I can see it and I'll move over if I can, especially if there is a long line of cars merging....If I can't, I can't and if that's the case I'll slow down some IF needed.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #50
Mod free 5er

You can see most merge lanes at least 1/4-1/2 mile ahead, plenty of time to slow down for them.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Call me one of the pricks that do that. I used to religiously move to the left (passing) lane when approaching an on ramp to let the merging traffic on. A few years ago I quit doing it. Anymore when you do that, about 90% of the time the person you just let on accelerates to pass you with the intent of getting in front of you at all costs. Now I stand my ground in that lane, and hold my speed. Screw em. They have the yield sign not I.
And there you have the biggest part of the issues on the road . instead of following the rules of the road people have the screw them attitude . no common sense , no courtesies , and no real idea of how to drive right . no wonder road rage is so rampant .
Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I doubt if insurance companies can tell if you were on the phone, I have apps on my phone that my cell carrier can't track and I don't think my iPhone can be broke into

Well........someday ask me what I retired from............

but ok. I could be wrong. I haven't been yet today!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #53
(Dry Huunday)

It's all about "give and give" if everybody is just a tad considerate the drive is a whole lot better!
I tend to "give" just to make my life easier...it isn't worth getting upset about and if I slow down 3 or 4 mph's for 10 or 15 seconds it isn't going to extend my days drive.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 07-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #54
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
It's all about "give and give" if everybody is just a tad considerate the drive is a whole lot better!
I tend to "give" just to make my life easier...it isn't worth getting upset about and if I slow down 3 or 4 mph's for 10 or 15 seconds it isn't going to extend my days drive.
Seems like its always me not anyone else that gives. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 07-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #55
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Seems like its always me not anyone else that gives. Later RJD
Yea...I get that feeling sometimes too!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 07-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016251RKS View Post
Some entrance ramps have "Merge" signs, others have "Yield" signs, some are stoplight controlled. Seems that none work all the time. I'll move to the left, IF and WHEN I can to allow traffic entering onto the superslab. But if/when I can't move....well as we know, it gets interesting..
I've been on a lot of merge ramps but it seems to me more often than not there are no yield or stop signs on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Well, I can't speak for other states, but here's what the Illinois Vehicle Code says:

625 ILCS 5/11-905) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-905)
Sec. 11-905. Merging traffic. Not withstanding the right of way provision in Sec. 11-901 of this Act, at an intersection where traffic lanes are provided for merging traffic the driver of each vehicle on the converging roadways is required to adjust his vehicular speed and lateral position so as to avoid a collision with another vehicle.
(Source: P.A. 81-860.)
This seems to make the most sense.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Hi Guys...

Am I the only one that experience zombies that don't look or fail to yield when coming up a ramp to enter the highway??

Then they continue to drive along side the RV until they run out of pavement??
Do they expect me to just stop on the highway for them or just swerve into the passing lane full of traffic?

Happened at least 5 time on the way back from Maine...

I have never seen anything so stupid in my life.

Rhody
Unfortunately, it isn't just automobiles nor trucks, Coming home from northern Michigan on the 4th, I had a big class A that tried its best to ram me into the side of a pickup polling a trailer as he and his 40 foot rig kept coming up the on ramp never attempting to yield, Fortunately the pickup driver saw what was going on and stepped on the gas. I managed to get over with inches to spare.

The guy went flying on his way oblivious to anything but what he could see between those blinders he was wearing.

I had another 40 footer class A damn near take the front end of my motor home off when he cut back in after passing me. once in front, you could see him weaving all over the road.

Maybe it is time for a non commercial road test and license for these big rigs and tows pulling huge trailers. The RV industry will sell anything to anyone with the cash. They could care less whether the buyer is capable of safely driving it for once its off the lot, they wipe their hands clean of it.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #58

There are laws also to USE your Turn Signals when Changing Lanes or Merging! The Goof Balls as described like to do the "Last Minute Dive"at High speed in front of you,then slam on the Brakes! All you can do is "DRIVE DEFENSIVELY"! Youroo!!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
And there you have the biggest part of the issues on the road . instead of following the rules of the road people have the screw them attitude . no common sense , no courtesies , and no real idea of how to drive right . no wonder road rage is so rampant .

Yep, screw them. I am following the "rules of the road".

The situation I was describing is when the on ramp has a big triangle that says "YIELD". Most of our on ramps in PA have that. I have yet to see any signs along the highway for traffic already on the highway that says "Move to left lane for merging traffic" or "Slow down for merging traffic".

The absolute worst thing you can do if you're in the right lane at speed is slow down if the highway is busy. That's a good way to get rear ended.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Yep, screw them. I am following the "rules of the road".

The situation I was describing is when the on ramp has a big triangle that says "YIELD". Most of our on ramps in PA have that. I have yet to see any signs along the highway for traffic already on the highway that says "Move to left lane for merging traffic" or "Slow down for merging traffic".

The absolute worst thing you can do if you're in the right lane at speed is slow down if the highway is busy. That's a good way to get rear ended.
I have to agree with you. I don't believe the rule of the road is to change lanes to make room for oncoming traffic. It is a courtesy. Whoever is merging onto the highway has to yield to the traffic. I know most drivers are not aware of this. Driving an RV or towing a trailer of any kind, I'd prefer to stay in one lane on the highway. No matter what the traffic situation, changing lanes is a chore. Also, it is safer to stay in one lane and maintain speed. I have no problem staying in my lane, stay aware and let them yield.
Closed Thread